HC2/3 and dental costs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I have found the capital limits but can't anything about income assessment for HC2 or 3 - ie full or part help with dental costs. 

Does anyone have a rough idea of maximum income for eligibility? I'm over 60 and have both a state pension AND a supplementary pension so don't know if it is worth applying. Cheers

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris

The income eligibility is much the same as means tested benefits. You will have what's known as an applicable amount. That is the minimum amount that the law states you need to live on.

This amount can be quite different from person to person due to their own personal circumstances and HC2/3 also take into account Council Tax and Housing costs.

Other things that affect the AM is receipt of DLA/PIP or any kind of pension credit or income support.

The only sure fire way of finding out is to apply and await the answer.

• Posted

Hi Chris well we applied, we were on guaranteed pension credit a few years ago so we got it all paid but since i turned 60 and i got my state pension it all altered and we discovered on our next dental visit we had to pay because i now  got my state pension as well as hubby having hears we lost the guaranteed pension credit and was on only savings type which didnt count anymore. We filled in one of the forms and because we had just over £7000  we no longer qualified for hardly any help.  Your dental treatment has to come over £100 before you get any help, like mine was to be £220 but i have to pay £145 for a new crown. £18.00 for a checkup and two xrays i paid as well.  Its seems if your in your 60s and both of you are on state pension you lose the help unless you have very little in the way of savings.  We were trying to save for our funerals as well!  The mean thing is that when i hit retirement age five years ago they took it all from hubbys pension credit to give to me so no better off. We do still get free prescriptions though. 

• Posted

Thanks both of you. I don't think I will hold my breath then! I may have too much capital at the mo and possibly too much income. The irony is I moved to a ramshsackle cottage and my savings are going on making it dry and habitable. Every penny is more than spoken for. cry

• Posted

Sadly Chris they dont care what your money you saved was intended for. Our mistake was leaving in the bank which shows on your bank balance. Now with council tax your allowed £10.00, we thought this was the amount for the savings you could have in other areas  but they all vary.When hubbys pension credit finally fades to nothing which will take about 4 years  We will then be exspected to pay council tax but this will be on less money, now does this make sence!

• Posted

If you are on guaranteed  pension credit you are entiltled to help with dental costs either all or part.

Sarah

• Posted

Yes Sara this is correct, we lost our help because of losing guaranteed  pension credit, this happened because i reached retirement age so as there were both of us recieving  this we lost it all.

Sue 

• Posted

Hi Chris, I'm under 60 went to the Dentist in January for a check up showed my ESA benefit form and they said that I did not have to pay and my next appointment would be sent in the post. Then last Thursday I got a letter from NHS Department saying that I was not intitled and I should have paid for my dental treatment and now I have got to pay £114.00 !!!!
    • Posted

Hi Twiglet  well maybe yes you should have paid but in this case it was the dentist who made the mistake so they should pay i think on this occasion as you went ahead and had the work done thinking you were covered by mis informed. So i agree with Chris. 

This may help 

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx

• Posted

Hi Twiglet  well maybe yes you should have paid but in this case it was the dentist who made the mistake so they should pay i think on this occasion as you went ahead and had the work done thinking you were covered by mis informed. So i agree with Chris

I tried to reply with a link to help you but it got with held from sendingrolleyes

Sue 

• Posted

Next time someone says to you you do not have to pay for something, ask for it in writing.

Your dental practice gave you the wrong advice so they should pay.

Suggest that they train their staff!!

Do you know the name of the person who told you you should not have to pay?

Hope you manage to sort this out.

Sarah

• Posted

Oh dear. I think maybe I should give up or at least get the house fixed before applying. ... Used to work in sheltered housing. A new tenant who had sold up to move to our scheme was living it large on the capital  - nothing but the best till his money dwindled and he qualified for help. Beginning to think he had the right idea.
  • Posted

That doesn't seem right twiglet. If you bought a sofa from a shop and they got the price wrong (their mistake) - would they come after you for the difference?
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply, I rang the NHS Department, saying that when I enter the dental practice, I showed the receptionist, dentist and the receptionist again, she fill the form out and told me to sign here! But the person on the phone said it is my responsibility and to contact the Jobcentre, went down to the Jobcentre, they said i was intitled to free dental cost as my ESA had been stopped and now on JSA Benifits from mid December 2015, he signed and stamped a form for me to send to the NHS, I don't need all this stress! now waiting for them to apologise. 😠
    • Posted

Hi Twiglet

From what you have said it would seem that you were entitled to free dental care but your qualifying benefit changed from ESA to JSA.

OK the DWP can point the finger and say you should have kept up to date but that is not easy as they make out because they run months in arrears when it comes to updating their system/information.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, just received a letter from NHS Dentist Services, NHS Penalty charge

Thank you for forwarding evidence of your entitlement to help with NHS dental charges.

We have therefore withdrawn the penalty notice and we will not be seeking to recover any charges.

This matter is now closed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.