Head pain , chronic tension headache??

Posted , 9 users are following.

does anyone suffer with head pain like this I've been told its chronic tension headache it never goes away I have suffered for years now I am in constant pain with no pain relief doctor will not give me any pain meds just venlafaxine for depression as suffered for years with this pain. I had head scans etc. spoken to neurologists and lots of docs over 10 year period. still in pain ,can't sleep with it. nothing seems to help.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hey all,

It all started for me in autumn 2018 . I have been taking lexapro at the time for about 18 months. the first 6-7 months I was taking 10 mg everyday as instructed by my psych. then was not taking them regularly and after about a year i started having headaches and they were there only when i was taking the pills! which was so weird and all my pdocs were baffled and did not understand why could that be cus they thought as soon as i keep taking them regularly my headaches would abate and everything would become normal again. I was so well for 10 years prior to that on prozac. Even though I did not take prozac daily either for many years I never had any headaches not even one!

But since this started I tried so many ADs and it seems they all cause headaches. It is usually a transient side effect for most people but it seems not for me. It just does not go away!

So far the only meds that help to keep me "sane" 8: benzos. Strangely enough they seem to calm the headaches down by most part! which makes me think it is anxiety related! And the doctors are usually baffled. They just have no clue what is going on. I have a feeling is is some kind of neurotransmitter issue ! on the flip side I have inflammed sinuses and have been operated about 11 years ago because I had a huge cyst blocking up almost completely one side of my maxilary sinus! Now its blocked again but doctors do not seem to agree that could be what is causing the pain! Unless somehow the cyst is pressing against the nerves and creating all these issues because I also when I sleep have no issues whatsoever and have no pain! The pain is just when I am awake. Its like the weirdest thing and I hope someday we will all find answers! Lets never give up!

• Edited

So I wanted to give a update. I had x rays completed , I got my results in a few hours via the health portal but no word from the Neurologist yet.

The findings were my c5-c8 are moderate to severe degeneration and some other medical mumbo jumbo i didnt understand.

So I began researching about issues with neck and spine and I am finding that all my symptoms are just that, issues stemming from the neck.

Also talks about eye problems like pain, pressure, blurred vision which is due to lack of blood flow.. which is also problems noone can explain just like the darn headaches and pressure .

So now I wait.....

I will update as soon as they decide to get back with. They dont care its been almost 2 years of being miserable and in pain with anxiety through the roof

• Posted

keep your head up. hopefully someday we will all find a cure

• Edited

OMG you all seem to have the same headaches as I do. I suffer from chronic every day headaches. I wake up with them This pain pushes my BP to high levels. Mine starts from the Top of my head down to my forehead, nose and cheek bones and the right side of my head to the back of my head and it's always in the same place. As time goes by it gets worse than the time before

I too have tried Amitriptyline 10mgs up to 50mgs at night for around six months. These pills didn't work for me apart from leaving me feel brain dead in the mornings. They have been around since 1961 and was used as an antidepressent are now being used for pain!

My GP told me they didn't work then and neither does gabapentin which will take an age to come off of.

I am now trying Anti Blue Light Glasses that will Fit over glasses if needed as I spend a good many hours

on my computer and think this could well be my problem, they do relax my eye sight. It's as if everybody seems to use TV's, computers or phones. I'm not surprised that we do have daily head pain.

I have also just started taking alternative supplements Niacinamide 500mgs daily for head aches after having exausted conventional medicine

I must admit I worry about having a stroke.... scary. Have you had your blood pressure checked?

• Posted

yes my blood pressure is sky high!! hypertension level2 am on candestartin for that . all docs seem to want to do is give me increasing doses of antidepressants venlafaxine on at minute which increases blood pressure.

I would love to feel better.

take care all

• Edited

I believe that drugs are not the answer in fact they can make headaches worse than ever.

I think doctors are treating the symptoms and not the cause with antidepressant, painkillers and the like.

They are enough to cause depression by taking them you are not getting to the real cause of your headaches.

One thing I want to say is headaches can be caused by eating the wrong foods for example GLUTEN. You could very well be intolerant to wheat and this can cause problems you are unaware with in your body which in turn causes severe stress and anxiety that can cause headaches. You have to go completely gluten free to find out.

All food labels will say if it's gluten free or not. It will take some getting used too but anything is better than suffering severe head pain or any pain in fact!

Cut out the processed foods and if you can, go organic. But just cutting out gluten is the first step.

I was going to say "we are what we eat" but in fact "we are what we put in our mouths" that's a fact!

I've just found a site online " 10 Surprising Ways To Kill A Headache Without Drugs!" from someone who suffered with bad head pain

May be this will help you.

In case you are wondering about me. I fell and hit my head on concrete some time ago. Although all looks okay I can't but help thinking it could be my neck ?????

Take care

• Edited

Do , The Neuroligist had his nurse call back to tell me I degenerating disk in my neck c5-c-8 . His words to me...... he can refer me to a pain Dr.

I totally lost it on the nurse , It takes 6 months or longer to get in , I have seen 3 neuros and NP , there all of which had a diffrent opinion. But Now we see its the neck they wanna push meds?????

So I demanded he give me more of whats on , what else may help or not help, causes, etc....what if google wasnt available I wouldnt know what degenerating disk were! I also asked about going back to a chiropractor. I told her I DONT WANT NARCOTICS.

Nurse calls back says he can either agree or disagree to see chiro Dr... wth.

My vision is so bad now but eyes are checking out fine. I have read that if you have neck issues it can cause blood flow issues to eyes and cause eye problems.and severe headaches.....its a shame we can get no answers even if something is found!!!!!

Im so tired of this

• Edited

Most of the time they/doctors haven't got a clue, it appears it's all trial and error and lots of different drugs later which seems to make me feel worse. I've had several cortiszone and botox injections in my neck joints and above corner of eyes which lessoned the head pain for a couple on months but it came back eI have given up going to see the the doctor. I think every day head aches are not serious but just down right horrible and very stressful causing anxiety .

Having a good nights sleep is a good start. I take alternative medicine 10 mgs Melatonin 2 hours before bedtime. I get it online.You won't get it from your doctor!

I do sleep at least 6 - 7 hours most nights but it takes a while to get into your system. Melatonin is a hormone that your body recognises for sleep and it works. I also take Niacinamide 500mg daytime for pain. Look it up on line . This last week I have started to feel different not so much head pain I also used a support pillow and or a V pillow which is comfortable. I am trying to help myself with a gluten and dairy free diet . Plus my anti blue glasses for computer work and eye drops for tired dry eyes. Both do help.

I hope this will be of some help to you. Best wishes.

• Posted

has anyone figured out what this is? it's awful

chronic neck and head tension. it's squeezing 24/7

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.