Head Pressure 😴

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone else get head pressure especially at the back and located just on one side?

I have been dizzy for months and getting bad head pressure on the left hand side at the back of my head and sometimes I get shooting pains to which they keep telling me is tension headaches and stress/anxiety, can't help but think it's something worse especially as I get the dizzyness to!

Anyone else feel like this?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I get the pressure in my head too but it's not specific to any one location. When it comes on me I feel it in my whole head! I also get shooting pains at times & in the last few weeks, out through my eyes (had eyes checked & all very healthy). I had a brain & ear mri in August & it all came back clear. I suffered from panic attacks in the first few months of getting vertigo & while they have reduced a lot I still get milder versions where my breath catches in my throat & I imagine I can't breathe along with heart palpatations. It passes once I start talking out loud to myself!!! 
  • Posted

My first diagnosis when it all started was simply an ear infection that wouldn't go away. That's when the vertigo started and it was awful.  After several months of treating that unsuccessfully, my ENT discovered a cholesteotoma behind my left eardrum which had to be removed. The cyst had invaded the bone more than they originally thought so my hearing and balance didn't return after the surgery. Several months later I was still struggling to get around and try to work. My ENT was frustrated with me because I wasn't getting better. He said all my tests were normal and my dizziness wasn't vestibular and to come back in 4 weeks. Luckily for me, my husband had a deaf student in one of his classes who put me in touch with her audiologist who put me in touch with a balance clinic who redid all my tests. My problems most definitely were vestibular and I have since been doing therapy, got hearing aids which helped tremendously, and am finally dealing with my severe osteoarthritis in my knees. My official vestibular diagnosis as of right now is labyrinthitis.  
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I have been reading your posts and they are very similar to my symptoms. What worked to ease the severity of head pain and pressure was Amitriptyline for the headaches, a muscle relaxant (name of drug escapes me right now) and one session of a nerve block injection to the head. I am on a regular 10 mg dose of amitriptyline, the muscle relaxant was taken for a 1 week period and now as needed and the nerve block injection helped anesthetize the pain in my head and helped with the dizziness. My problem was my Sternocleidomastoid muscle (head & neck area) was in a spasm & it caused relentless headaches/silent migraines and intense head pressure. 

Hope u feel better soon.

• Posted

Hello guys! I have also had this problem a year ago and now I am feeling much better than before. Everyday I felt head pressure until I had enough and went to a neurologist he gave me fluoxetine 20mg. It went great you guys have to give it time.. You may have werid side affects but is due too medicine don't freak out ! Another thing that came across is after researching the Internet for a while this is all can happen from Lyme disease please get yourself double checked because Thoses tests are not all accurate. And remember if positive with Lyme always remember detox your body ! To get rid of Thoses unwanted bacteria! Good luck to all !

-Itsa

• Posted

I created this account just to help everybody with this symptom. Sorry for my bad english.

First, i'm not a doctor, and this post is just for information.

I had a pressure in back of my head for 3 weeks and sometimes my ears buzz. It started suddenly, and none painkiller worked, but finally i'm free.

In 3 days after it started, i was going crazy with that pressure and headache, i was afraid of brain tumour.

I visited an neurologist, he did a clinical exam (checked my eyes to see my intracranial pressure), my reflexes, pressure and blood circulation, all normal.

I asked it for a RMI or a CT Scan, then he told that based on clinical exam, that was not necessary.

He did a brain mapping on me, and found that my occipital nerves were causing the pain and the pressure. On the generated figure, the back of my head was incredible dark red.

He prescribed me clomipramine and escitalopram. I questioned him about these antidepressants. He told me it was not depression, these drugs can act on headaches prevention and muscle relaxation.

I asked about brain tumor, and he laught. He told that a brain tumor never causes a headache as primary symptom, even it does, it's not for so long. Usually, brain tumours causes loss of vision or body parts movements.

I questioned about the name of my problem, he simply told that a muscle pressioned an occipital nerve, it even doesn't have a "problem name".

About 2 weeks taking these medications, i am 90% better, and didn't had any side effect.

Don't worry about brain tumor guys, and do a brain mapping before any RMI or CT scan (that maybe exposes you to high levels of radiation and the risk of taking constrast).

If there is a tumour on your head, a brain mapping will figure out that something is wrong, then you should do a CT or an RMI.

• Posted

I know this is old post but I’ve been told I have labrynthitis I’m on week 6 now. The dizziness isn’t so bad but when I put pressure on my head especially the back it feels as though it’s getting crushed. Did you experience this? How r you now? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.