Head pressure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I suffer really bad with health anxiety brought on again by menapause. The past 3-4 days my head just feels so heavy and tight plus by tea time my neck and shoulders are so sense. I do sleep with a fan during night because of feeling hot due to menapause and I have it directed to my face and head, wondering if this could also be be problem. Any advice please x

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

R u taking hrt or any supplements?
    • Posted

I've had the same issues and it appears to b the progesterone phase of my hrt.....perhaps try a different one. Hope u find something that works x

• Posted

Thanks joy but I've been on the hrt patches 10 monthes and this as only just started x

• Posted

Dear Karen

Sounds like your sinuses to me, a common problem.in peri, I had sinitis once (not recently) but it affected my neck and shoulders, they felt really tight and tense x

• Posted

Hi, I never throught of that. Every morning I wake up I have to blow my nose straight away cause I feel bunged up. And my eyes feel heavy all the time, it's across the front of my head, back of head at bottom, neck and shoulders and the bridge of my nose hurts when I touch it x

• Posted

Yes it's worth considering it is sinus, we also have them in our cheeks, where you describe it does sound like it. I even had pains on top of head when I had sinus infection x

• Posted

Thanks very much for your input, if it doesn't settle down I'm gonna go to Drs xx

• Posted

Yes hope you get it sorted, my husband is suffering with sinus at the moment he feels very heavy eyed! I'm just getting very watery eyes in the morning! Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Karen,

i get get this too and it does seem to be cyclical which makes me think it's hormone related.  I get a sinus pressure type headache, usually below and behind my eyes which make my eyes very sore.  It feels like if I could take out my eyeballs the pressure would go away!  There is also a general heavy head pressure feeling which I can feel in my ears, back of my head and down my neck which causes neck and shoulder pain.  I've often thought with this feeling that my blood pressure must be really high because I do suffer from high blood pressure but whenever I check it while I have this headache/pressure feeling there is no significant elevation.  Sometimes I feel nauseated with this and for some reason my stomach gets upset and I will have cramping and diarrhea as well.  Sorry, I know, TMI.  I've had Ct scan of my head which came back normal.

What seems to work for me is to take ibuprofen and 0.5mg of Ativan and sit with moist heat on back of my neck and shoulders.  The Ativan and heat helps to relax the muscles and dilate the blood vessels which helps the pain.  Plus, putting the moist heat on my neck and shoulders forces me to sit still for a while and relax!

• Posted

I am sure benzodiazepine -ativan helps with that, but it is highly addictive so be careful with it.
    • Posted

I am VERY careful with it. I only take 0.5 mg occasionally when my anxiety gets bad or when I have one of these headaches which amounts to about a total of 2 - 3mg per week so I think that's not so bad and much better than not taking anything and having things escalate until it's unbearable. Also, I'm a retired RN so aware of potential addiction problems. Thanks for your concern! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.