Head pressure, foggy head after flu - sinusitis infection??

Posted , 26 users are following.

I really need somebody to put my mind at ease at this point. I am a 20 years old guy in Montreal and a couple of weeks ago I went through a really bad cold/flu. I couldn't go to work one day because of how bad I felt. The symptoms I had were mild fevers, extreme fatigue, congested nose of white mucus and the other usual symptoms of a cold. I noticed that cold was more aggressive than the usual colds I've had before. I also noticed my nose was extremely congested, I kept blowing my nose frequently and had lots of white mucus coming out of it. Once the cold began to go away I began experiencing a lot of pressure in my head (sinuses areas and kind of in the back of my head), confusion kind of feelings with dizziness, brain fog and still a congested nose but dry (white mucus always). Together with all of this I have been experiencing anxiety spells because of the frustration of not knowing exactly what to do about it.

It has been a little over a week since all of this started and I believe this could be a sinus infection. I just got a decongestant with saline solution and got some tree tea oil to inhale with boiling water once a day. I have been feeling better very slowly throughout the week but I am TERRIFIED this could be something not related with a sinus infection. I have been googlying my symptoms like crazy and found stories from people experiencing this stuff for years and that scares the sh* out of me. The brain fog has been very frustrating because it has been affecting my concentration and short term memory. That kind of comes and goes but it is very frustrating since I don't have any memories of experiencing this before.

As far as I know, I haven't had any allergies my whole life and I don't think that is the root of the problem because as I said earlier, I had a really bad cold before this. I know colds can cause sinus infections afterwards.

I don't have access to doctors for now because I am an international student about to graduate next month. I don't have a health card or insurance to cover me with medication or doctors. I am hoping the decongestant and the tea tree oil might cure me so I am waiting a week to see how I feel but the anxiety about this has been killing me because I don't really know whats going on. Please anyone that has experienced this before or has any idea of what is this help me out!

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi George, 

I hope you are feeling better. I had similar symptoms to you - dizziness, fatigue, brain fog, sinus headaches, sinus pressure, not much congestion in my case. It turned ou to be a sinus infection. When I told my doctor about the dizziness he shook his head in disbelief that a sinus infection could cause that - what did he know. He was totally wrong. I used a nasal spray with manuka oil I got on-line whch is for sinus infections and allergies and it cured me. I did not have an allergy has I did not have the sneezing, itcy eyes etc. plus I was tested clear for allergies. So it must have been a sinus infection. I'm not sayng you have a sinus infection but all the indications are that you do. You need to kill the infection smile

• Posted

Hello please can you send me the link for the manuka oil spray please I can't find it . Thank you.

• Posted

Hey guys! I can't express with words how thankful I am for your reponses! You aliviated my mind so much! It's been almost two weeks and I can really tell you I am much better now. The brain fog has improved, the pressure is less frequent and my energy is getting back to normal, although the sinus isn't completely gone... I haven't been using the netty pot, just the inhaling tea tree oil and a saline solution decongestant. I'm going to go buy the netty pot tomorrow, I don't really think antibiotics will be necessary. I hope this is gone in a week or so... is it normal to still have the sinusitis lingering on 2 weeks? THANKS
    • Posted

George,

Sinusitis like HIV is tough to killsmile Just because you're recovering, it doesn't mean bacteria is gone or that you won't get sick again first time. So take everyone's advice carefully. If I were you, I'd be buying netty pot this morning and watching my health carefully.

• Posted

Guys it's 2 weeks or more I'm not really sure and for sure the symptoms have improved, specially the brain fog, but I still get the fatigue, the head pressure and the dry congested nose. This thing has triggered my anxiety (I had issues with it before) and its really bothering me. I had my antibiotics sent to me but they're gonna take a while to come, around 2 weeks. I'm getting the netty pot today, what else would you recommend meanwhile I wait? Is it normal to not have an infection but still keep experiencing these symptoms for this long? Thanks
    • Posted

I have had sinus problems for years, the doctor used to give me several courses of antibiotics unfortunately these don't do anything if there is not an infection.  Sinusitis can be caused just by congestion and it can be hard to shift.  I gave up seeing the doctor as it never seemed to help.  I use Sudafed that doesn't have paracetamol in (paracetamol never gets rid of my bad head so I don't take it) - the ones you get from the pharmacy not the ones off the supermarket shelves.  As other people have said Menthol helps and it is really important to me to wear a hat when it is cold, if I don't my sinuses start to play up.  Hope that you feel better soon. 

p.s.  What is netty pot!?  I live in the UK and have never heard of it.

• Posted

I have been also experiencing a very stiff neck. It's midly sore the whole day
  • Posted

Hi George,

I'm curious as to whether anything in particular ended up working for you? I couldn't believe my eyes as I was reading your description of symptoms, because mine were identical and I too was experiencing anxiety because of them. Any update you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I'd love nothing more than to shake this sooner than later.

Devin

• Posted

Hi George, I'm experiencing all those symptoms, I'm just wondering whether it cleared up eventually?

• Posted

Hey jasmine is your condition better, if yes plz tell me what you did 

I am facing same problem 

• Posted

I am going through very similar symptoms. I am just trying to rest, apply Vicks use product that can only be purchased at pharmacy called pseudoephedrine ...but make sure you ask pharmacist for advice. Drinking water. The dizziness is the most difficult for me to tackle so far. I really don't know what to do with that? I have tried breathing exercises for fresh air...but not limited progress.

• Posted

Yes this ailment can be very frustrating, frustrating doctors also, I have been going through this for about four years. I have no infection, just the white mucous, headache, crusty feeling nose, congestion, teary eyes fullness of my ears. As of yet I have not found any consistent relief and some times it unbelievable how this your sinuses can affect your quality of life
  • Posted

Hey George I am having the same problem same symptoms and sometimes feel like I have serious health issues 

All blood tests are normal 

This foggy head thing isn't going 

How's your condition now ?

• Posted

My name is Eric and for the past week I have been experiencing head pressure,fatigued,sometimes a stuffy nose but doesn't last long and also I feel like I have fluid in my ears. I went to Dr a week ago and he said it was a flu like symptom but I am not sure can anyone help me pin point what's going on with me. Also I my anxiety has been worse since I have been sick.

• Posted

Hi total anxiety is worse for sure. I too experiencing the same..so exhausted. When you think you are feeling better, bam it's back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.