Headache and Jaw Pain 9 days after removal of Wisdom Teeth

Posted , 29 users are following.

I'm 35 and had 5 wisdom teeth out 8 days ago (yes I had an extra one) under a general anesthetic. I never had very much pain from the actual extraction areas, just what was to be expected. But ever since I have had a chronic headache and pain along my jaw, particularly one the right upper side close to my ear. I went back and explained this to the oral surgeon a couple of days ago, he looked inside my mouth and commented how good a job I have done keeping my mouth clean, that it seems to be healing well and said he doesn't think it's an infection based on a visual examination and the fact I don't have any other symptoms (fever etc). He mentioned that I shouldn't be in this much pain at this stage but that was it. He gave me a script for endone and Valium (as I have not managed to get more than 2 hours sleep each night - due to waking up in pain from the headache and jaw pain). Even the endone combined with paracetamol does not get rid of the headache or jaw pain. Now I have to wait another week to go back for another follow up. My personal belief is that he was heavy handed getting the teeth out and maybe put additional stress on my jaw, which is causing the jaw pain, and the headaches are a by product of this. of course he isn't going to admit to this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm in the middle of "recovery" also from having four wisdom teeth removed, on the more complicated side of surgery- which perhaps explains the pain.

So it's Sunday most thinfs are closed, I'm not responding to the pain relief tablets and for some reason today the pain has gotten really bad (post op day 6). I've been desperate for relief all day. 

I just sent mum out (bless her) to get me some Clove Oil (or oil of clove) from the chemist after reading it can help. 

It does!!  - all you do is put a drop or two in a cotton tip and wipe slowly over area of the gum that's sore and I found it nearly instantly sent the area numb.

It's very strong so spit a few times after applying it - you don't want to swallow it. It can feel like a bit of a sting or more of a tingle sensation which doesn't last long at all. Then I found very quickly it stopped hurting and my headache is starting to going away. Thank the all mighty(s) some relief.

I'm not a medical expert but I did read a little of the masses of literature available on the benefits of clove oil, pain relief, antibacterial factors and teeth removal.

Another suggestion is to add a drop or two to some warm water and do a mouth wash with it (making sure you spit it all out). 

I hope this helps manage pain symptoms, it has for me so I thought I'd share - wishing you all better.

• Posted

I know this was a year ago and you are probably all healed up by now but I just wanted to write a message for anyone else looking for an answer. What you were experiencing is actually a classic sign of a dry socket! i know you said that he put stitches in the area but you can still get dry socket if the blood clot dislodges. I had a tooth extraction done on top and it still hurts 3 weeks later. The dentist told me that I had a dry socket and packed it with the most disgusting crap (clove oil) and dressings. It relieved the symptoms a little bit dry socket in general is extremely painful, causes pain from the jaw to the ear, headaches, nausea, extreme pain, fatigue... and other annoying symptoms. Anyway.. for anyone looking for an answer and the dentist may say there is nothing wrong, it’s most likely a dry socket that you are experiencing- these symptoms after an extraction are classic to the condition and can last for a long time after it is extracted.
    • Posted

Hi Holly, i got tooth extracted 4 weeks ago and have dry socket. Most forum sites and dental sites say folk clear by 3 weeks but i am still in pain. in socket area (socket itself and palette above) jaw, headache etc. Clove oil helps to point as numbs area so i can sleep. Dentist this week took xray and saw no sign of infection and thinks i may just be taking longer to heal and possibly have lower pain threshold which may well be true. i feel like i will cope if i know in a months time there will be improvement. i just wish for healing process to speed up as seeing little improvement so far. how long did it take you to heal. My tooth came out in three parts and over an hour to get out. Any other tips - supplements, other therapies, pain relief other than paracetemol and ibuprofen
  • Posted

Jooooh after reading (almost) everyone's comments, I feel like mine is maybe less important.

Buuut I still need an opinion.

I had one wisdom tooth extracted 10 days ago, in-chair. I still get tooth aches and my jaw hurts, but what bothers me most is the fact that I have a headache now 24/7. Painkillers reduces the pain, but doesn't take it away completely. When is the pain suppose to go away? Should I gi back to the dentist??

• Posted

reading this thread has me now petrified to get one wisdom. I also have to get the two teeth beside it removed. I'm not allowed to take pain medication because I had a problem with pain pills quite a few years ago I'm a single mother and I have to work I had another tooth taken out years ago and I had dry socket and it was the most horrible agonizing pain I've ever felt in my life. Right now I have an infection they had to cut my gums open to drain it and I can't get them pulled until the 29th I have severe anxiety and they are not putting me to sleep. I have no family to help me and just the thought of having that pain again is making me insanely scared. Has anybody had any good experiences on this thread?

• Posted

Hey April!

I’m sorry to hear you’re anxious!  I know it’s scary I had my two powers removed a week ago. You can’t take pain meds so get yourself some clove oil. It tastes like Christmas died in your mouth and it can burn lips and other skin but it works wonders for gums and extractions. It’s an ingredient in what they use to treat dry socket. Don’t use a lot and try to dilute it but this will help. Maybe google it too for further instructions.  I know your scared but I know you can do this! Just try to take it easy the first few days and don’t suck!!!! I’m a smoker and i was terrified of dry socket but if your gentle (even if you don’t smoke) you’ll be fine. I’m still a little achy mostly from my gums, they get itchy when they heal! I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Also I was able to work the next day just bring the clove oil with you and a baggie of q tips!
  • Posted

12 days ago I had a tooth extracted and taking hydrocodone and amoxiciline I have a radiating pain in my ear and on the right side of my head. It comes on mostly at nights when I lie down. First I think he took out the wrong tooth even after telling him the one he kept saying was cracked was not the one that was hurting. On Wednesday last week I called the office they were out until Friday, they called back but missed the call tried calling back but to no avail couldn't reach them. Went to there office after work they were closed. Still in excruciating pain, not only theoriginal toothache but radiating pain in my ear and a headache. Tired of taking pain med with little to no relief

• Posted

Hey!

Did you try to call another dentist to see if they could see you? Sounds like yours are terrible. Hope you have better luck!

• Posted

I just 6 days ago got 1 wisdom tooth out and 1 molar.. I’ve been in horrible pain almost unbearable.. I’ve been to the emergency room, said everything looked great.. went to the dentist on day 5 because it wouldn’t stop.. they said I didn’t have dry socket but treated me as if I did have it to see if that would ease the pain.. it hasn’t.. any clue on what may be happening.. I can barley open my mouth let alone eat.. I’ve been taking penecillin for a few days.. just Incase of infection from hospital
  • Posted

I’m on day 8 and had 8 wisdom teeth removed the oral surgeon says everything looks like it is healing fine but the headache has not gone away at all .. and pain in jaw & mouth still hurts

• Posted

You may have had eight roots, but no more than four- sometimes possibly five- wisdom teeth.  The pain can be alleviated by CLOVE BUD OIL ONLY- NARCOTIC PAIN MEDICATION DOES NOT HELP WITH THIS.  You could take 20mg of oxycontin and still have your face, jaw, mouth, gums, and individual teeth still hurt.  CLOVE BUD OIL- you can find it at most pharmacies but it's not always in the section with other oils. Get  q-tip and put like 5-10 drops on one end, then put it directly on the place in your mouth that it's hurting, hold it there for like 20 seconds then rub the q-tip around that area.  More than one area?  No problem, but get another q-tip because if you get it on your hands they will start to sting and OMG don't even think about touching your eyes... I can tell you from experience it feels like your eyes are on fire and you literally just have to wait for it to not be so intense, so BE CAREFUL!!!  Granted, clove isn't the greatest taste in the world, but it definitely beats the throbbing pain in your head, face, jaw, etc. When you use it after extractions, you'll notice when you brush your teeth you'll get hints of clove taste because it lingers in your mouth.  That's normal though, nothing to worry about.  So you may need to do two applications of the oil per spot that hurts, depending on the strength of the oil and if it's mixed with anything else.  I promise, you will be amazed at how quickly the pain simply stops!  GOOD LUCK ALL!

• Posted

Also Kira, when each wisdom tooth has multiple roots, your mouth & head are going to hurt more and for a longer period of time than those who may have only had two wisdom teeth extracted with no additional roots.  It is extremely important to use the mouth rinse after each meal, and otherwise as instructed by your oral surgeon.  Especially in cases with multiple roots, there's going to be a larger area that's now open and healing as opposed to wisdom's with only one root.  Try to rest as much as you can, take the ibuprofen they prescribed and use the clove bud oil- it truly is a GODSEND.  The narcotic painkillers are basically useless when it comes to the head throbbing like crazy after having multiple extractions at once- my horrid headaches lasted for just over a week and they didn't start until about a week after surgery. I wasn't sure about the oil either, but was absolutely amazed after I first put it on- it was so awesome, the relief was unbelievable and so soon after applying it. You can get a little bottle for under $10.00 at walgreens/cvs/rite aid, etc. You may need to spend a little time searching the store for yourself, I think I got it from rite aid but it was with oils to burn for relaxation, next to a Burt's Bee's makeup stand- it wasn't with all other natural oils- completely different aisle and section actually.

So remember, motrin (ibuprofen), mouth rinse, and clove bud oil = PEACE & RELAXATION. :-D

• Posted

Thank you the pain has went down quite a bit but if it continues I’ll definitely have to try the clove oil. And in my particular case was very rare I had 8 wisdom teeth all four regular and 4 extra. The side giving me the most pain is the bottom right where the two teeth were both impacted 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.