Headache and Jaw Pain 9 days after removal of Wisdom Teeth

Posted , 29 users are following.

I'm 35 and had 5 wisdom teeth out 8 days ago (yes I had an extra one) under a general anesthetic. I never had very much pain from the actual extraction areas, just what was to be expected. But ever since I have had a chronic headache and pain along my jaw, particularly one the right upper side close to my ear. I went back and explained this to the oral surgeon a couple of days ago, he looked inside my mouth and commented how good a job I have done keeping my mouth clean, that it seems to be healing well and said he doesn't think it's an infection based on a visual examination and the fact I don't have any other symptoms (fever etc). He mentioned that I shouldn't be in this much pain at this stage but that was it. He gave me a script for endone and Valium (as I have not managed to get more than 2 hours sleep each night - due to waking up in pain from the headache and jaw pain). Even the endone combined with paracetamol does not get rid of the headache or jaw pain. Now I have to wait another week to go back for another follow up. My personal belief is that he was heavy handed getting the teeth out and maybe put additional stress on my jaw, which is causing the jaw pain, and the headaches are a by product of this. of course he isn't going to admit to this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello sorry I know this thread is old but I am having the same issue. are you guys able to recover? he headache is too much, I never had this before I thought removal of impacted teeth will make it better but why its the other way around.

• Posted

Hi everyone I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted on the right exactly 7 days ago. They have healed really well, and weren’t during recovery until yesterday and today I have had jaw pain. It’s only at night that it happens - I get a headache and my jaw and ear hurts like anything. Worth mentioning i have never had issues with headaches. I went to the dentist yesterday and everything’s good but this pain is full on. How long did your pain stick around? How did you manage it? How did you sleep?? Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.