headaches with citalopram different to any headache

Posted , 17 users are following.

hi i have been on citalopram for 4 weeks and have been gettin headaches which feels like a tension headache at time but then i get these shooting pains in the left hand side of my head does anyone else have different headaches with citalopram

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A had same it's the symptoms off tablets it will let's 2 weeks hope u get better soon
    • Posted

yeah its like a shooting pain at the moment it different to any other headache ive had did you feel that yours felt shooting and different to any other headache 
    • Posted

Thanks that put me at ease a bit I just need to stick it out
  • Posted

Hi Shelby.

I get them often and it is tension. Is your neck tight and do you clench your teeth? Try finding some way of relaxing eg a nice bath. I have one most nights and I just switch off from everything and everyone. It helps.

Hope things improve.

Helen.

• Posted

Yeah I always find my self clenching my jaw and I find I tense my toes up aswell without realising but when I do u can stop it I keep getting shooting pains in the left side at the front of my head and keep worrying about brain tumors it's a headache I haven't had before but doctors Said citalopram can cause headaches and is a common side effect
    • Posted

I am on Fluoxetine but tried citolapram. I went back on Fluoxetine. There are side effects but from what you say it does sound like tension. I am forever clenching my jaw even when I sleep. I have to wear a mouth guard to help but I chew that! The thing is I don't know what I'm tense about most of the time. It leaves me feeling drained of energy and I also fear the worst too. Practice relaxing your jaw when you realise you are clenching and you feel the shooting pains subside.

If you still are worried have a chat with the doctor to put your mind at rest. I visit mine occasionally to do this.

Take care. Always here to help.

Helen.

• Posted

Yeah I have been having the shooting pains scince citalopram I keep getting this cold feeling like it's under my skin in my head and my ears keep ringing and popping and I also feel really numb what side effects did you get on citalopram? Thanks for your time in speaking to mesmile x
    • Posted

I can't remember exactly as it was a long time ago. I have been on anti depressants for 15 years! The only thing I know is that they didn't agree with me and so I went back on Fluoxetine. What mg are you on? I'm on 40mg of Fluoxetine. Also have you read the leaflet in the pack for side effects?
    • Posted

Yeah but it doesnt say about headaches in there but says about tingling in hands and feet but not head but doctors says headaches are common from citalopram and ringing in the ears is another 1 what is written in the leaflet but hot and cold flashes is another 1 but don't no weather that mean the cold feeling in my head almost feels like cold water trickling around my head
    • Posted

What mg Shelby? And if you don't mind me asking How old are you?
    • Posted

Only 10mg and have been taking for exactly 4 weeks today and I'm only 20 sad feel I'm wasting the best years of my life
    • Posted

I'm sure that it is a mixture of getting used to the meds and tension too. When on the meds at the beginning you notice every change and that will make you anxious and tense. Have another chat with the doctor hun.

Let us know how it goes.

Helen.

• Posted

Hi Helen, it's so ironic your describing this I felt the exact same thing for the past few nights .  It's horrible and very weird and scarey headache, pressure and ringing in ears .  Called pharmacist told me stop immediately.  I see my doctor tomorrow to discuss as this is the third ssri I've tried!! Feeling quite down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.