Healing a Chronic Anal Fissure

Posted , 51 users are following.

I suffered with an anal fissure for almost 6 months. Having bowel movements was like passing shreds of glass & the pain was so bad for hours afterwards. I would wake up the next day dreading the next bowel movement. I actually thought it was piles & didnt know what it was until after about 8 weeks. The doctor gave me the usual creams etc and it did seem to work for a few days but then would come back. I finally was able to somewhat control the pain but the fissure wasnt healing. After reading everything I could about it & peoples trials & errors I wanted to share with you what finally healed the fissure. Please note I have no medical experience and I am just sharing what worked for me. 

First drink lots of water. I drink 12-14 8oz glasses everyday. I ensure I have fibre with all my meals. For 1 week I had a sitz bath with epsom salts in it & use to soak in it for 20 mins. At night before bedtime I took 30ml of Cremaffin stool softner for about 1 month. I know this is too long to be taken this as well as too much but this used to make bowel movements pain free. Afterwards I gradually reduced 5ml every 2 weeks. But what really healed the fissure itself was applying Sudocrem nappy rash cream. I applied it gently (with very short nails to make sure I didnt scratch myself further!!) just inside my anus as well as around the tag.  I read that zinc oxide would help it heal and remembered my sons Sudocrem. I used to apply it about 4-5 times a day for about 1 week then reduced to 2 times a day. So far its been about 2 weeks and I have been pain free. I still take Cremaffin 10 ml every night & apply Sudocrem before bed. I hope this will help someone else too as cos as you know its the worst pain ever!!

9 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi nazy78,

Thanks for your idea of using diaper rash cream. Must say it helps. i had desitin with max strength so i used that. I can now say i am 90% healed. 

Thank you for creating this discussion forum.

• Posted

How do you apply these creams? Do you actually go internally slightly or just around the opening on outside?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi yeah go internally slightly without reopening the wound up. Sudocrem is quite thick and will remain for quite some hours. Hope it works for you too.
  • Posted

thank you so much for the suggestion of using sudocrem..i bought and used it..it really worked for me and healed! im so glad of using it..but then again one day i had my stool stuck in my anus and its kind of large stool and i just retear my fissure again😭im so stress right now..

• Posted

Start again from the beginning. That is loads of water, lots of fibre with all meals, lessen the carb intake and of course stop eating constipating foods like chocolates, coffee etc.

This is what I do whenever I get a small twinge and within 3 to 4 days I am back to normal. Hope you recover

soon.

• Posted

Hi guys.

Thought I'd share things I've tried.

Mouthful of olive oil on empty stomach In the morning,washed down with orange juice but I'm just making the change to prune juice. Il share how I get on.

Trying the sudocrem after reading this.

To pass stools, I currently use a bulb enema with tepid water to fluah the stool out initially, seems to be comfortable and kind of cleans you from the inside. Don't use too hot water.

Prune juice before bed, a mug.

BM after warm bath whenever possible.

Also I have a spoon off olive oil if I'm eating something potentially hard in stool form, eggs,carbs etc. I have however made the change to brown bread. Which is obviously better.

Olive oil is good for lubricating your whole digestion system.

Good luck fissure fighting guys.

• Posted

Hi Bamboo

i have just joined this forum and found some very useful poats definitely more informative than my doctors. I am suffering from anal fissure  for about 10 week s now with n

• Posted

no relief yet. I have used GTN gel for 8 weeks, now using calcium chanel blocker cream for a week , besides all other ointments and creams, lidocaine, annousol HC, local analgesic gel but nothings gives me any relief. the pain after a BM lasts for upto 8-9 hours. I am on ducosate sodium three capsules daily and macrogol sachets as stool softeners. I have started using sudocream since yesterday, used manuka  honey regularly and going to try inserting coconut oil capsules from tonight. I want to ask people how they managed to put stuff inside as I can only hardly put my baby finger in so maybe the medications are not reaching the actual wound location. then I also feel there is something else inside that seems to block my BM in the morning as if there is a lid on the opening leaving me in excruciating pain. someone mentioned a skin flap or tag in a post, could I have something similar? what is that? could be an internal haemorrhoid or what? I dont know. the doctors are not interested in listening or giving advice. After a long wait of 10 weeks i saw the colorectal surgeon and i was out in 10 minutes. she didnt give any advice just offered a botox injection procedure with general anaesthesia. I am so frustrated and very hesitant to jump to this big decision. I have been careful with my diet and drinking plenty of liquids, tried homeopathic self remedies all along and now switched to herbal horse chestnut drops since yesterday. I haven't received the date of surgery yet but not looking forward to it at all. 

• Posted

Hi safi

Hope you are okay. Are you still experiencing issues? The internal blockage is another skin tag as you get these with chronic fissures. I know as I am still fighting to heal mine after 3 years. I have a skin tag on the outside and one that flares up inside which is very painful. Where is your fissure as mine is in the anterior position and it isn't healing even after having a strict diet, lots of water, sitz bath and medically prescribed ointments.

• Posted

hi nazy, how are u now? do u have any problem with your fissure now?
    • Posted

Hi Izaish, no problems with the fissure but that's mainly cos I am still extremely consistent with my water intake and ensuring I have lots of fibre with all my meals including regular exercise.

• Posted

Hi nazi

The blockage internally could be a skin internally as chronic fissures develop the skin tags inside and outside. I have been suffering from my anterior anal fissure for 3 years and I have skin tag on the outside and inside. Nothing works even a high fibre diet I still get flare ups. Are you okay now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.