Healing a Chronic Anal Fissure

Posted , 51 users are following.

I suffered with an anal fissure for almost 6 months. Having bowel movements was like passing shreds of glass & the pain was so bad for hours afterwards. I would wake up the next day dreading the next bowel movement. I actually thought it was piles & didnt know what it was until after about 8 weeks. The doctor gave me the usual creams etc and it did seem to work for a few days but then would come back. I finally was able to somewhat control the pain but the fissure wasnt healing. After reading everything I could about it & peoples trials & errors I wanted to share with you what finally healed the fissure. Please note I have no medical experience and I am just sharing what worked for me. 

First drink lots of water. I drink 12-14 8oz glasses everyday. I ensure I have fibre with all my meals. For 1 week I had a sitz bath with epsom salts in it & use to soak in it for 20 mins. At night before bedtime I took 30ml of Cremaffin stool softner for about 1 month. I know this is too long to be taken this as well as too much but this used to make bowel movements pain free. Afterwards I gradually reduced 5ml every 2 weeks. But what really healed the fissure itself was applying Sudocrem nappy rash cream. I applied it gently (with very short nails to make sure I didnt scratch myself further!!) just inside my anus as well as around the tag.  I read that zinc oxide would help it heal and remembered my sons Sudocrem. I used to apply it about 4-5 times a day for about 1 week then reduced to 2 times a day. So far its been about 2 weeks and I have been pain free. I still take Cremaffin 10 ml every night & apply Sudocrem before bed. I hope this will help someone else too as cos as you know its the worst pain ever!!

9 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here is my advice to anyone who needs help. I can thoroughly recommend Botox treatment. I've had a fissure twice after having a failed sphicterotomy which left me leaking. Wish I had had the Botox first. I use Coloplast Comfeel barrier cream after every bowel movement and use wetted toilet paper to wipe as dry toilet paper is too harsh when used. If you can use a toilet near to a tap take single sheet and wet only half of it. Fold the dry half on top of the wet half and wipe quickly to avoid the toilet paper disintegrating. Try anusol suppositories too. Also, keep your stools soft by drinking lots of water and eat fresh fruit and veg, avoiding spicy food and limit the amount of meat and other constipating foods (Google that) and stay on the toilet long enough to make sure your bowels are fully empty to avoid going too often as far as possible. I get the barrier cream (4 tubes at a time) and anusol (90 suppositories at a time) on prescription in the UK. DO NOT have a sphicterotomy until you've had Botox and only as a last resort and my consultant has told me never to have anal flap surgery. Good luck and get well.

• Posted

Thank you mike. So did you have a failed sphincteroctomy and then after that you had 2 fissures?

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your sphincteroctomy surgery done?

I've had botox twice and it only gave me temp relief but flare ups continue when botox wears off.

• Posted

i saw a consultant privately at Spire and had the sphincterotomy done on the nhs in Cardiff at the university hospital of wales to attempt to cure a fissure i'd had for several months. It didn't work and i had botox a few months with a different nhs consultant who i still see annually after which it did heal it. Unfortunately i had another fissure and a fistula in the same part of my anus which both healed after a second lot of botox. I havent had one again yet but im very careful to keep my bowel movements soft, myself clean and use anusol and barrier cream after every bowel movement plus i clean up again an hour or so after and reapply barrier cream. Hope you get relief soon.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm glad you are better now and remain in good health.

I am suprised that they never offered you the botox before the sphincteroctomy as I've been told that the surgery is the last resort.

Also the fact that they injected the internal sphincter muscle that was cut as part of surgery which should make it relaxed and in your case it did as you mentioned it resulted in leakage.

Did the sphincteroctomy incission cause the fistula as this is one of my worries about the surgery?

• Posted

No. the fistula was part of the original fissure issue. Dont worry about everything. All will be well in the end and your life will be fine. Despite all my issues i have a happy life and you will too! Just trust in those who have recommended botox. It really does work!

• Posted

Thank you mike. All the best yo you too 

• Posted

Its hard to say honestly because I take alot of stool softners. I noticed I passed a hard stool and it hurt. So I guess its still there or the tissue inside is inflammed.

• Posted

hi everyone,

i found this post so useful. i used sudocrem and it was great. ive had two fissures, luckily the GTN cream worked for me but how it avoid them reocurring is by drinking lots of water, try eat a lot of fruit and if i ever feel like i need to then il have some lactulose to soften the stool. i also got into a routine of going twice a day (morning and night) so that i can avoid toilet roll and just shower straight after. try avoid rubbing the area, sucks having a sore as$!

• Posted

Hi Eddy... Did you use the GTN with the sudocrem? Im using a substitute for GTN called isosorbide dinitrate whivh is a compounded tablet and cream mixture. Im afraid to use the sudocrem because im not sure if it will affect the absorption of the GTN.

• Posted

Hi... I got a fissure in April and suffered for 5wks before seeing a surgeon who prescribed GTN cream... South Africa doesn't sell this cream but something similar (compounded mixture of isosorbide nitrate 30mg in 30g soft paraffin) I've been using it now for 5wks together with Movicol in the morning and normacol plus after lunch. It is a balancing act to try and get the correct stool consistency with these. I went from pajn free stool to waking up 1 morning with a hard stool that caused pain and then was followed by diarrhea which left me with more pain. Its been 3mths from start to now. I found that pooping in a squat position helps alot as it ensure the pass of stool is in a straight line as opposed to a constricted passage when u use a conventional toilet method. Use a stool to elevate your feet when u use the toilet. Theres good videos of how to do this on YouTube. Ice packs have helped me more with inflammation after a stool that sitz baths... Sitz baths eventually caused my skin to peel on the inner thigh and a few closer areas. I should mention that I am on chemotherapy for breast cancer so thats contributing to poor wound healing as well. As if dealing with cancer isn't enough. It was the constipation from chemo I think that caused the fissure. I am concerned that my bowel is going to get dependent on laxatives and this stresses me out seriously. Lazy bowel syndrome is a disaster in its own. When im done using the GTN ointment I plan on starting the sudocrem. I dont think i can use them together as sudocrem is a barrier cream and might interfere with the absorption of the GTN. This is the worst thing to experience and at times I forget about the cancer totally and find myself paranoid about the fissure. All the comments here have been so helpful. I have renewed hope that this will heal eventually.

• Posted

Hi, I am so sorry to hear you have to suffer through this as well as with the cancer. I do agree this is a terrible thing to have. Dont worry too much about the laxative dependency but focus now on healing the fissure first.i was on Cremaffin for well over a year and when I thought it was time to stop I just did and didnt have any issues. Of course by then I also had a very good diet plan in place with lots of veggies and water etc.

Hope you have a fast recover.

• Posted

Hi... Thank you for the reply. This is the most awful thing ever and I'm trying my best to deal with both the cancer treatment and the management of the fissure. I'm so glad that you are doing better. I pray this will heal and I can do without all the laxatives and fibre supplements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.