Healing damaged esophageal tissue

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have a mild motility issue with my upper esophageal sphincter (it's hypotensive) and apparently supragastric belching (I tend to burp a couple of times after eating or drinking anything). Does anyone else have this problem?

I go through regular episodes of having a sore/inflamed esophagus along with chest pain. It's my own fault because as soon as I feel healed I tend to be a bit naughty and have a few of the things that gradually cause me problems again (like fats and sugars seem to be the culprits). So what are the best natural supplements to take to heal the damaged tissue? I know about DGL and slippery elm, but wondered if there was anything else that could be more effective.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice please do share, thank you x

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

L-glutamine is good but you cannot take it with antiinflammatories. I would research it. Also cabbage is great for healing stomach lining too
  • Posted

I am using Aloe Vera juice with Manuka honey and it seems quite effective. You can buy this from a health shop. I also find ginger tea very good - it's anti inflammatory. Either good quality tea bags or make your own from fresh ginger slices and boiling water - steep for about 15 minutes. Non sugar/non mint chewing gum helps saliva lubricate the throat. Small, bland meals/good fats like walnut/olive or avocado oil. No toast! It's about whatever works for you.
    • Posted

Hi, I am going through the same issues. I burp after meals or drinking. I get the chest pains, sore throat. My big issue is the mucus in my throat after i eat. Drives me crazy. I take Dgl licorice but it doesn't really seem to do anything for me, im looking for answers myself.
    • Posted

Hi tata do you eat dairy? That seemed to give me more mucus and caused me to have to clear my throat continuously for hours. It may be that or something else?
    • Posted

No i stay away from dairy. The ENT Dr. Told me that the mucus comes down my throat to protect my esophagus from the acid rising.
    • Posted

I need some more testing done, to see about the sphincter, i also have a hiatal hernia.
    • Posted

Hey tata Yes very true, but something is causing this reflux and it could be something you are eating that is making it worse. Just a thought. I found that when I used to drink white wine I would have severe throat clearing and silent reflux so I knew there was something off there and then I did an intolerance test and guess what came up... Yeast and dairy intolerance!
    • Posted

thanks for reply am attempting to cut out things like dairy and yeast. not been sticking to right diet!! just hope its not serious upon endoscopy
    • Posted

Yes anastasia

I don't drink anything but water. I don't know what could be triggering it. I am taking Pantoprazole 40mg, and 300 mg of zantac at night. Which isn't working.i still have the mucus in my throat. This is so annoying

• Posted

oh yes thats what its called. my gastro consultant never gave it a name. It is soo depressing I know. and so painful. I get mucos too. I will post on here if they find a problem. thanks
    • Posted

Hi, It's nice to know what you mentioned here that the mucus actually helps the the thin lining of the throat from acid. But if the mucus really bothers you, i find that warm saline solution with turmeric helps.Don't worry about the taste, it's tolerable. I use this now as part of my daily regimen to clear my throat in the morning and before i sleep.Check first if you have an allergy to turmeric,though.The moment I gargle this, it would really decongest that area there at the back  of the throat.I don't use commercial mouthwashes anymore as they could be too strong.hope you feel well soon.
    • Posted

Thank you 1diamond owl, the Dr. Told me to use saline solution. Ill start today. Hope it helps.
    • Posted

I eat oatmeal, bananas, chicken, rice and vegetables. Sometimes i eat egg whites. I am really lost with this diet, and i only drink water
    • Posted

to get rid of acid reflux go to a natruapath get a list of all foods that are either alkaline or acid .   Have a diet that is 3 quarters alkaline and one quarter acid.    I's all about what your eating    All friuits and vegetables are alkaline  dairy and grains and meat is acidic just to give you a general idea

• Posted

wine is high histamine    if you don't want throat clearing you have to elimate high histamine foods 

• Posted

The mucus in the thoat is from high histamine foods every food has histamine and some are high or medium.    You need a diet of low histamine foods and antihistamine foods.   It took me a long time to figure this out no help from a doctor  they just prescribe pills  they know nothing about the body and how it works
    • Posted

I had gerd for 2 years...doc didn't know what was causing it....i changed to a Gluten free diet... all my reflux has stopped....x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.