Healing on body, but now scalp & ears have pain & sensitivity.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke out with shingles on my right side of chest, arm, & back shoulder blade. It is now starting to heal & scab over. But now my scalp feel like someone just ripped out my hair & my ears get this jolt of pain. They are all really sensitive & my scalp is feeling that burning sensation. Does that mean I’m getting shingles on my scalp & ears now??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tracy,

I am so sorry.

Is it both sides or one side? Usually, but not always, shingles is on one side. If so, what side? Often in the beginning, the pain would be more generalized, then localize to one side.

I would be very concerned that it is shingles returning, in any case, especially with the same burning pain.

Do you see or can your family see any redness or feel any bumps ie vesicle-blisters?

Please see a physician tomorrow if this continues.

Please keep us posted.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

It’s actually on the tip top of my scalp. & the ear pain is on my right ear. The  same side where I broke out in blisters on my back & arm. I haven’t been able to see anything, but I’ll check with my husband when he gets home. 

• Posted

Tracy,

Since it is on the same side as your prior Shingles, and only one -sided,

and the pain is the same burning pain, it sounds more like Shingles.

Do you have any of these accompanying symptoms: headache,

aches and pains, chills and sweating, fatigue and exhaustion, malaise, swollen lymph nodes, photophobia?

I am so sorry you are sick again!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes on chills! Yesterday. Not today. But no on the others. This is about day 5 since I started breaking out from my back & arm, so I’m still on my anti viral meds. Is it possible that I spread it myself somehow by touching it? Or can the shingles appear still somewhere else while on these meds?

• Posted

So Tracy,

When did you start having the initial rash on your arm, back, shoulder blade, and chest?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Tracey 

I believe you got a bad case of shingles being you say it’s on your scalp too!

I can relate to your pain because I had a case of shingles in February and another mild bout this week!  It’s terrible when  it’s on the scalp!  I can’t even comb my hair anymore and the pain and sensitive areas hurt like if they tore your hair out!  Have you taken anti viral meds for this?  Try to eat healthy and a high lysine diet helps!  Stay away from nuts too!  Go to your doctor and explain all this too!  

I have so much pain and gives me headaches too!

Hope you do feel better and remember you are not alone!

Feel better!

Myrna

• Posted

I have been, & still am taking anti viral meds for the break out on my back & arm. It’s still healing. Has been about 5 days now. But I’m getting that burning pain on my scalp & outside of my ear. I haven’t even healed from the other yet! sad

• Posted

Tracy,

You can continue to get crops of vesicle-blisters up to seven days from the onset of the rash. Which antiviral are you taking? If you are on Acyclovir, get it switched to Valcyclovir, or Famciclovir- the best for two weeks. You need to get this varicella virus suppressed. It is in more than one dermatome, now.

You cannot spread it by touching or scratching your skin, BTW. This is generated from your spinal nerve root when your immunity has weakened.

Has your husband had chicken pox, hopefully? If he has, you are not contagious to him.

Do you have children?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes,  I am on Acyclovir. I have a couple more days left on it. I’m going to try & get into my dermatologist tomorrow. Do you think it’s still possible for the shingles to form on my scalp & ear? Or is it dying down from the meds?

• Posted

Tracy,

Absolutely, it is possible... probable.

Acyclovir is the least efficacious of the three Antivirals, BTW, as the varicella virus shows the most resistance against Acyclovir. Valcyclovir is based on Acyclovir.

Famciclovir is the newest. Frankly, Acyclovir and Valcyclovir both stopped working on me over a decade ago. If you are still having burning pain on your scalp and ear, see your dermatologist. The rash may not come out, BTW. But the pain can be just as bad!

It is called "Zoster Sine Herpete. "

Where do you live?

Best Regards,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Tracy,

The initial shingles would have to be on dermatome C6-7 &/or 8.

The newest outbreak, if it involves your ear, would involve the Trigeminal Nerve Cranial Nerves V & Facial Nerve VII.It means

that you need to see your Physician and be placed on a longer duration of Antivirals, and rest and sleep.

You would probably need strong pain meds if it is on your face.

Please keep me posted.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry, 

First, thank you for answering all of my questions. It does give me a piece of mind. I’m driving myself nuts here. 

I have a 1 yr old at home with me, so yea, rest & sleep does get a bit challenging. But I know it’s the best for my body.

• Posted

Sorry, “Peace of mind” 
    • Posted

Tracy,

When I first developed Herpes Zoster-Shingles, I was going through an acrimonious divorce after my husband tried to kill me twice. Needless to say, the stress was high. I fought for total legal and physical custody of my son for obvious reasons, and won, in the State of California, after OJ killed his wife. He even loss visitation. Fortunately, my son turned out well, and would never hurt an insect. The point is, I know how it is about caring for your child, family, stress, but....do care for yourself, or you will be stuck with Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN or recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks eternally, like me....

Again,

All my best,

And do keep me posted

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I’m so sorry you went through this traumatic time. 

I will keep you updated on my condition.

• Posted

Update:

Merry,

The burning in my scalp & pain in my ear went away the next day I felt it. Phew! I’m thinking that if I didn’t start these meds as soon as I did, then I would’ve had this huge outbreak in my scalp. But I nipped it.

As for my chest, arm, & back...it is scabbing over & slowly fading. There still is some pain though. Not as bad. 

I am hoping that this is it for me. I pray this will not come back any time soon. I am taking vitamins with high vitamin c & B12. I’m trying to get my immune system back up. I think that’s helping a lot. And lots of rest too. 

• Posted

Hello Tracy

Remember we are all in this and your not alone?  My head right now is burning and itchy but like I said this second bout is mild because in February I took Zovirax and it help because this second bout is very mild with just a small blister!  The pain is there!  By touching it will not make it contagious but can get infected,  always try to have your ha da clean before touching and try not to scratch but apply cold compressors!  It helps!  If you are still on Zovirax it will help!

Hope that is the last bout!  We want this to be over forever!

Blessings 

Myrna 

• Posted

Tracy,

I am happy to hear you nipped it in the bud!

Taking control of the disease is important!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.