Health Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, new on here and i just wanted to say its great to know i'm not the only one going through all this!

I was diagnosed with anxiety a few weeks ago and prescribed citalopram, and despite taking for about i week, i stopped taking them because i felt like i needed to be strong enough to cope with this myself. Since then i feel my symptoms have gotten worse, I get chest pain and tightness, swollen feeling in the throat, pain in shoulders, arms and legs. I'm always tired, i'm developing Irritable bowel syndrome, i get groin pains.. basically everything under the bloody sun. The hardest bit is accepting its not a heart disease or anything cardiac related, since the symptoms are so similar. Its ruining my life at the moment, i have no energy to do anything, i live in fear 24/7 like i'm going to die. i get mardy and can snap at people.. now i know we're all going through this i feel a little better. i guess  because i'm 19 and i've never really been ill or anything, my mind is blowing symptoms out of the water, so to all my fellow health anxiety sufferers on this forum, i hear you guys. the feeling of thinking you're going to die.. Its probably just as bad as knowing you are.. so, yeah. Hopefully this will all end soon and its just some stage i'm going through.

thanks guys! smile

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi scott you sounds just like me i am 21 years old male i had all those symptoms which you have mentioned specially chest pain which sometimes makes me panicky anyway i have been suffering anxiety since 6 months now and i tried hard to cope my self without medication but i think i am not that strong because those symptoms are actually too terrified so i ended up taking anti depressants lol , i am still not feeling fine but I would say i feel alot better than before anyway good luck to you my friend this anxiety is just too scary don't let it win bro
    • Posted

Thanks mate! i pretty new to anxiety only had it for a like 4-5 weeks so i'm trying to nip on the butt before it destroys my life! Great to know i'm not the only one! i tell people in real life like my family and colleagues but they all laugh at me, so this is helping me alot to talk to people that understand smile
    • Posted

Yeaah true even my friends laugh at me when i told them about my anxiety bcoz me also i am new to this like 4 5 months lol ,
    • Posted

yeah thats a bad bit about it, feeling so alone. i told my manager at work i called an ambulance the night before because my chest pains got so bad, she laughed in my face and walked off. stuff like that doesn't help rolleyes
  • Posted

Hey Scott, sorry to hear of all these issues. I go through the same things sometimes. The worst part is, you don't know if the physical symptoms are real or from anxiety. I'm having surgery on my shoulder soon and I guess I'm getting some ailments else where from worrying about it. Most of the time it is ibs, or leg tingles. Tension head aches or ab pain. It's very frustrating because now I look like a hypochondriac. This all started about 4 years ago and it can get better. I tried Meds, did not like the wayi felt. I try now to focus on positive things and listen to soothing music. Exercise helps like crazy, walking, jogging or golf. Good luck and focus on the good things in life.

• Posted

Thanks john! i listen to music while i try to sleep because its like the only thing that can get me to drift off smile because this has only been happening for a few weeks i think i'm still in.. shock.. from the symptoms, hopefully i'll learn to live with is as a normal thing soon! all the best with your surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.