Health anxiety

Posted , 103 users are following.

Really suffering and struggling with health anxiety regarding my heart. Is anyone going through anything similar? Thanks

12 likes, 184 replies

184 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank god im not alone..Over the past year i have never thought that i would end up this way, I am just the same and it takes over you life, I have always been a big worryer in life but thats just me, But this time last year i was having bad pain down my left arm and i was convinved that i was having a heart attack, i then started to panic which my heart started to beat soo bad i could feel it in my chest it was the worst feeling ever, my life flashed before and i was extremly scared i was then taken to hospital due to my heart rate was so high which i was put on a heart monitor and was observed, It was only a nurse who held my hand and told me eveyrthink is going to be ok you need to stop panicing as your making your self worse, I thought and was convinced in my head i was going to DIE, They then explained that i had a really bad panic attack, I was kept in over night but was let go the next day with my bloods and heart rate back to normal, It was the most intence and scaryest situation i have ever been in that i will never forget, Since that day i kept getting these feelings that there is somthing wrong with my heart and i did not kno what was going on at first i thought i was going CRAZY, Then i went to my GP who said i have Anxiety, I had never come accross this before well i had but not known the true meaning of it, I was then given Diazipam 2mg, Which i taken and all these feeling just went away, As the weeks taking this drg turned into months as it was the only thing that take thet intence feeling away, which i am now addicted to this drug and i can not cope or leave the house with out it, I am sooo lost it is untrue and i dont even know how i got to this point in my life, I suffer with Anxiety everyday and i am just banging my head up aggaist a brick wall all the time and i just know that i am going to suffer with this for the rest of my life, Sooooo your not alone out there xx
  • Posted

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I've been dealing with problems like this for about 4 months now. I've been diagnosed with gastritis, sinus infection, virus, dehydration, etc. but the problem never ends! My primary care doctor did prescribe an anti-anxiety medicine to me, but I haven't taken it because I never felt like that was my problem.

I've had chest pains, arm pain, jaw pain, and leg pain (all on the left side), back pain, headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea, feeling like I need to take a deep breath constantly...you name it! I've been so concerned and I still feel like I haven't received a proper diagnosis. I finally broke down last week and went to see a cardiologist thinking that that might relieve some of my worry. I had an EKG done and a full exam, and it all came back fine. The cardiologist reaffirmed that my problems all lead back to anxiety.

I decided to see a chiropractor, hoping that she might be able to relieve some tension and provide some pain relief. After my first adjustment I went home and found out that chiropractor adjustments can cause strokes. If you're like me you probably know what my next thought was...."Oh my gosh, I'm going to have a stroke." It's sick! I can realize that the odds are low, but that doesn't stop my constant worry that it's going to happen.

My biggest concern today is intense leg pain. My whole left leg has been very achy and sore and I can't find any relief or cause of this issue. I'm getting very annoyed with constantly being in pain and worried about an underlying health concern. I'm only 23 and I want my life back.

• Posted

Hi ya Samantha, 

Totally get how you feel this is what im going through .....i notice this post is a few months old ....whats your situation now . Im hoping theres light at the end for us .....Amanda x

• Posted

Hi Amanda just seen your post iv been awake most of the night as I have severe chest pain and feel like I cannot breath I too suffer badly with anxiety well that's if it is that im just not convinced that something that's in your mind can cause so many physical problems and pain that you think you are having a heart attack sad I despise feeling this way and I can't see any way out at the moment sad im 22 i used to be happy and confident but now im a shadow of myself iv had blood tests and ecgs but all fine why do I get severe pain all over my chest mainly left side to the point im going to collapse im petrified im going to have a heart attack im so scared right now sad
    • Posted

One light at the end of your tunnel Samantha...the pain in your arm or leg could very well be your back and neck. Just a simple pinched nerve or any inflammation pushing on your nerve will cause those pains. Knowing this helps me to relieve the pain and stop worrying. Go look up " dermatomes" on Google. You will see what part of your neck and back cause radiating pain to which body parts. The dermatomes basically show a map of your body. How does this help?! Well, you then gently move or stretch that part of your neck and back and your radiating pain goes away. Instant relief that it is not a heart problem. I prove it to myself all the time. Let me know that this helps anyone who reads this....
  • Posted

I, too, have problems with health anxiety and my heart. I have palpitations nearly every day and also have a really heavy feeling in my chest like I can't breathe. Even walking makes me out of breath now and I'm 21. I haven't had any tests yet as I was referred to the cardiologist but they lost my referral letter. Now I'm back at the end of the list but the consultant is also taking a months holiday so I am really in limbo right now. Been waiting for an appointment since January. I hope it is just anxiety but untill I know for sure, I will keep worrying that I'm gonna drop dead. I had to stop jogging because of this, rarely go out now and don't sleep well at all.
  • Posted

Hi All

I can not belive when i read all your replies thats the same things that suffer with every day and its soooo scary at the time its unture, It nice to see that i am not alone out that

• Posted

Oh my word!! Finally I met another women exactly like me! Can we please chat more? 
    • Posted

Hi amber its like laura wrote this on behalf of myself also. I would love to talk, i know this post is a few years old x
  • Posted

Also suffering from this unfortunately, I've visited ae a few times with this all my tests showing my heart is fine but now been diagnosed with acid reflux (GORD) which surprisingly can mimic cardiac problems pains in the chest, arms, shoulders and also can cause anxiety. Try loads of research and try every avenue as a simple thing can cause terrible symptoms and make your life he'll. I battled terrible depression for 8 years and come through the other side and didn't think I would be here today so I know anxiety can be eradicated its just a case of time,help,and good people around you. 
    • Posted

Hi Daniel. I know your post is from awhile ago but just seeing if you are still here. I am having a difficult time with my daughter who has terrible health anxiety and is now having a lot of acid problems. The acid makes her freak out and it is a vicious circle. We have a GI appt this week and will also be going to a counselor. Interested to know how you are doing and what helped. Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi laura im going through the same thing I feel like crap every day I get pains in my chest back and my arns iv had blood test and about 5 ecgs and im  still scard
  • Posted

Hi laura I know how u feel im scard every day something is gonna happen to me I get pains in my chest back and arns along with plupatations iv had blood test and about 5 ecgs and they came back normal but that doesent make me feel any better and I cant sleep
  • Posted

Hi laura... how are u now? i hope you feel better today... and i hope you overcome your fears now. u know were all the same in this forum. mine starts 3 months ago... and ive been battling with this sickness everyday. its so hard to feel pain everyday left arm, chest, back, neck difficulity breathing.. and like a lot of you ive been trough many doctors too this year.. been to 2 cardiologist and i had test 2 2d echo this year and many bloid test 3 ECG but all came back normal except for my last echo. my cardio said i had triscupid regurtitation mild but she said that theres nothing to worry about and i have low risk for heart attack wich is a good thing.. but still i cant take this out of my mind... there are many days of my life that i suffered really worst. im so scared thinking im ginna die everyday. im so sad because i cant do the things i did before. im only.29 and u have 4 children. 
    • Posted

Hi i got told the exact same thing on my echo, i had trace regurg in the triscupid valve and mild regurg in the mitral valve. My cardiologist said this was a common findi and there was no need to worry at all. But still i do its such an viscious cycle with anxiety esp over something that controls your whole body x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.