Health Anxiety attack !

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I have fibro and im currently feeling really anxious. Ive got it into my head that because my muscles are aching and ive got mottled skin tone that ive got meningitis! Im now in such a flap, getting hot and heavy breathing so i thought writing on here might help. this is the latest one , everyday I think ive got a major disease like cancer or am going to drop down dead because of a heart attack because i get chest pain. This happens mainly at night when im alone in my room. Can anyone else relate to this? I always feel that I should go straight to the doctors or A and E and have done only to be told "everythings fine" but Ive always got it in my head "well what if I dont go and there really is something wrong next time" . I am on sertraline for the anxiety which has been helping but isnt going away completely. There are so many symptoms I experience that I find it hard to believe it is all down to fibro rolleyes I am 21

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can certainly relate to muscle cramps, pain and spasms ..(not the mottled skin though)I used to get very anxious too, rang an ambo once...taken to hospital.....but it was just the Fibro and all the worrying about what it and stressing...sent me into an anxiety attack.....so now NO STRESS all that stress just made my Fibro worse..so the key to Fibro is-don't stress. ...hard I know...as new Symtoms often make you start thinking " what could that be...then getting all stressed out" for nothing in the end, as all our worrying changes absolutely nothing...really feeling for you right now.I really hope you get sorted soon Hollymayshipton, try some big breathing in through your nose then very slowly letting it out through you mouth.(slows your heart rate right down too).you've probably already been told about this. Hope this helps somewhat..be blessed and have a much better day..:-) xx.

Keep on blogging.Holly...it does help, we are all in the same boat..I've had Fibro for over 22 yrs and still I learn heaps on here..also much encouragement..wink

• Posted

I used to find night time the worst, when I woke up in pain and couldn't get back off to sleep because I was in pain, now I take a pain med and read till it kicks in. I've also found knitting helps relax me, I keep the boring plain pieces for relaxing proper (can't count the number of times I've fallen asleep with it in my lap) and fancy complicated things for when I need a distraction.
  • Posted

Hi Hollymayshipton

Pains are felt by everyone in different ways. Staying calm and positive does help. Stress is a big NO NO !!!  I know it's easier said than done but take time for yourself at least about 30 mins in a day and focus on your breathing and let your mind clear of any stresses you may have.  I learnt this technique from my CBT sessions (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy).  It's worth getting your GP to refer you to these sessions and you will come out with positive attitude to your day to day life. It doesn't get rid of the pain but helps the mind to deal with it.

By joining this forum I also have gained so much support from all who communicate and understand what we are all experiencing.  You are not alone.....we are all here for each other.

Take care biggrin

• Posted

I get the mottled skin, Rheumatoligist commented on it but it is just another symptom . I get cramps everywhere but legs are the worst. I get stabbing pains anywhere, for the last few weeks it's been through the middle of my thighs, not nice! I get shakes and twitches, numb/tingling/burning hands, it's, headaches etc etc. The only time I go to the doc is if there's something new, he is happy for me to do that, I have an appointment with the Rheumatoligist about my hands as its a new symptoms so doc wants it checked out. As well as the burning, tingling etc my wrist will suddenly twitch when I'm carrying something especially a cup of coffee, it throws it everywhere so now I use both hands. Try not to worry there are so many symptoms to FM. I forgot the temperature changes, I can be roasting hot one minute then freezing cold the next it's all part of FM. I'm sure I've forgotten things, it affects my memory too!

take care, try not to panic! If you can print off all these answers and keep them handy to check anything new and see if one or more of us have it, perhaps that would help.

Shelagh x

• Posted

Hi Holly, These feelings must be very frustrating and scary for you,

You have seen your GP ? as your on stertraline, Did your GP do any tests for fibro, and has he arranged for you to see a rheumatologist,

Have you gone back to your GP and explained how your anxiety is taking over your thoughts most of the time?

Your dose might need adjusting,

You don't say what you do with your day, do you work, study, are you finding what your doing stressful, have you a supportive family, good friends,

Anxiety attacks can be scary so please don't suffer go back to your GP write things down so you remember all your symptoms.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Leona, thanks for your reply!

Yes I have been diagnosed with fibro by my rheumatologist who put me on amitripteline to take before bed to help with the pain, it does seen to help but I'm still always tired, if I don't have a nap during the day I can't function properly, thanks for your help and advice.

Holly

• Posted

Hi being constantly tiered is a big problem with fibro, and there is no harm in having a nap, have you tried vitamin B and magnesium some people fine they help with tierdness and pain, hope you find something that helps ease your symptoms soon. X
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, my consultant has put me on vitamin D but I have been looking into the benefits of magnesium for fibro sufferers so am going to try adding it into my day smile
  • Posted

Holly may yes! You sound exactly like me. My husband gets so mad at me but I'm always saying to him "it's not normal " I am always convinced I have something like cancer, it doesn't help when you Google your symptoms and that always comes up! I have hypermobile joint syndrome and apparently a symptom of that is high anxiety. Looking back I've always been very sensitive and always thought of worst case scenario rather than positive. Every test I've had comes back clear so I convince myself if it was anything bad they would know by now! I find when I distract myself, keep busy go for a short walk etc that my pain eases slightly and as my pain eases the anxiety does too. It's a vicious circle having so much pain and symptoms which make you worry about the pain and symptoms which then makes them worse! You wouldn't believe how ill stress can make you. Hope it makes you feel better just knowing you're not alone. Gentle hugs xx
  • Posted

Thankyou everyone for your messages and advice, it's nice to know that I'm not going mad and it really does calm me down seeing that you have all the same symptoms as me. It's hard when people don't believe there's something wrong because you look fine on the outside and test results say you are fine !
    • Posted

Totally agree when people don't understand the pains that one is living with.  Only people who have similar symptoms can show compassionate towards others. biggrin
    • Posted

Looking fine always makes  people wonder..how can we possibly be ill...mad ...but your among friends on here..Hollymayshipton..so goooo for it, we all understand..have a great day..be blessed..:-) xx
  • Posted

Out of interest does anyone find their symptoms are more dominant on one side of their body ? Mine are predominantly on my left side and didn't know if this is related or something I should worry about ?
    • Posted

Mine are on my right side more than the left, possibly because I've damaged that side more, eg. broken bones and dislocations.
    • Posted

Mine tend to be more dominant on my right side, back of my head, jaw up to my ear, neck, shoulder, arm joint,wrist, fingers, ribs in my chest area, kidney infections, swallen glands, hip,knee, ankle, foot, all on my right side,

I get exactly the same on my left but much milder,

I used to think its because I'm right handed and use that side more, but when my kidney infections and swollen glands started I really don't think being right or left handed makes much difference,

What's other people's opinion on this ?

After reading everyone's advice on magnisium and vitamin B I'm going to buy some today and give it a try,

Does anyone know if the liquid form is better than tablet ?

Hugs to all of you poorly people out there today x

• Posted

I would like to know that too leona...liquid or tablet...I take magnesium double the recommended dose ...good to know the difference too..Have a great weekend leona..be blessed..:-) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.