Health Anxiety can anyone relate.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, i have never posted anything on this site before so i'm a newbie. I am a 36 year old male and have just developed major anxiety over my health. My mum died of bladder cancer almost a year ago (anniversary in about 2 weeks), around that time i developed a deep dread of my own mortatlity, i had a bad cough mostly becasue i was so run down going back and forth to the hospital etc. and managed to convince myself that i had lung cancer, after a week or so i went to doctors and she gave me some anti biotics and sure enough the coughcleard up, panic over. Over the next few months my fears shifted to my 4 year old sons health even though he is a happy healthy little boy but i would stand over his bed for hours just cuddling him and making sure he was ok, i would even wake in the night and feel a sudden urge to do this, evetnually this panic went away and now only comes over me occasionly. Now my panic regarding my own health has risen again but this time it is back with a vengence. I am so depressed i cannot function on daily tasks like work or being out with my family, i have convinced myself that i have various diseases (all cancer related) such as bladder like my mum, prostate like my dad (he survived), testicular but most of this past week has been spent worrying about pancreatic cancer, i seem to have imagined i have every symptom of this, the only time this doesnt effect me is when i train (i do taekwondo). my mind is so focused when i am there that i dont even feel a twinge but as soon as i leave and sitting at home thinking they come back. My wife has tried to reassue me that if i really was that sick i wouldnt be physically able to train as much as i do. I generally eat healthy and tbh the only vice i generally allow myself is a wee dram of whiskey every night, i used to have a major sweet tooth but this has subsided recently, mostly due to my health fears, i have swapped my carb rich diet for a fruit/veg and meat only one and have dropped from 12st 10lb to 12st 1lb in a fortnight, of course this triggered more panic. I have started to take Citalopram and Propranolol and am waiting for Cognitive Behavoural Therapy, i have also started to read some books by Clare Weeks which are very good. I used to think anxiety was made up but i wouldnt wish these feelings on anyone. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of symtoms and what other things did peaople try to alivieate them.

Thanks Mark

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Flacko I also have anxiety that causes me the same thoughts that u have about must be some type of cancer I have for feeling this way .so your not alone.a weakened nervous system I hear causes all kinds of symptoms that are really nothing but it's exhausting feeling anxious all the time especially when it affects sleep.
    • Posted

Cheers Ralph, they are not nice feelings at all i'm sure you'll agree, but i am sure there is a rational explanation for it all, do you do anything to combat them? Meds, excercise, meditiation, read books, etc?
    • Posted

I refuse to take meds .I m not as bad as I was 2 years ago .I went 7 nights and days without sleeping because the anxiety would not let me .It was a nightmare.i just dont feel the same ever since. I still feel anxious all the time.i used to be active and played in 3 bands (I'm a drummer ) and quit playing for about a year cause of it .I started back up on and off but this feeling makes me not wanna play cause it drains me.i even lost my job at autozone of 14 years cause any little frustration or worry would make me go in panic mode.honestly I just constantly pray now to rid me of this disorder.i also drink an herbal tea called 7 blossoms they have at heb. In the coffee aisle.i also talk to ppl with same thing we're going through cause ppl that have not experienced this feeling don't know how rough it could be.hope u feel better bro.
  • Posted

Hello mate I'm a 41 year old mail and have lived with health anxiety for nearly 20 years!!! I've had every cancer and life threatening illness there is but 20 years on I'm still here! I'm still getting aches and pains even now! The trouble is no one can ever convince you your healthy not even the docs, this could be you 20 years on if you don't get the help you need!!!  I've decided to get the help I need just wish i had listened 20 years ago!! 

This is what I'm doing..... Full body scan costing £1500 can't afford it but really need this to move forward, cognitive therapy, and I'm gunna try and take all the stress out of my life, keep fit eat well! Like you I have been very fit ex forces i also have a family misses 3 kids so think we got a lot in common don't hang around and wait for these feeling to go, get the help as I've put my family through hell I amazed she stayed with me good luck mate and keep me updated as believe me it's good to talk take care simon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.