HEalth Anxiety / Chest Xray For on going cough, worries i have lung cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar or can put my mind at ease,

Im 33, Female, Smoker (Have recently quit)

I have had a Tickly/Chesty Cough for a few months, i only cough occasionally, not all day long, usually in the morning, and after walking or exercising .

The last couple f days i have felt breathless( this is what has bought me to quit smoking)

I suffer sinus problems, post nasal drop, sinus headaches etc.

Anyway, Doctor has sent me for chest X ray, im really concerned / Worried, anxious about Lung Cancer,

I have sever HEalth Anxiety, so this has really set me off.

I also have an occasional pain in my right shoulder (pain various in location)

Anyway anyone think i should be really worries?

No chest pain, no blood, no weight loss etc,

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello, This prompted a visit to the gp who said it was probably viral or could be acid reflux and prescribed me some antibiotics and anti reflux meds. He also sent me for a chest x ray too which was clear. The cough has got better but is still there. Severe health anxierty doesn't mean that you have facing the cronical problems always.

• Posted

congratulations on quitting smoking. You didn't mention how long it's been since you had your last cigarette. You know the body will go through some pretty drastic things when you quit smoking. It tries to get rid of all of the years of smoking nastiness out of your lungs. It could be something like that. You also mentioned you have health anxiety. It is also possible that you are experiencing anxiety induced by the quitting smoking and that's translating into a problem breathing. Both of these things happened to me when I quit 14 years ago. Now if it is not either of those, if it really is something that's physically wrong with you there are a lot of things it could be other than cancer. One that comes to mind is bronchiectasis. bronchiectasis is scar tissue in the lungs and smoking can cause the scar tissue. You can Google it to get it symptoms but the only real way to diagnosis with it is with a CT. I hope whatever it is and it's something minor that can be fixed. again congratulations on not smoking anymore and best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.