Health anxiety - fear of MND and MS

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms to mine. Last year I had an episode of vertigo and thankfully haven't had any since. I stupidly googled causes of vertigo which led to a self diagnosis of MS. Since then, I've developed health anxiety of MS and Motor Neurone Disease so bad that even seeing the word "multiple" makes me feel anxious. I have had everything from body tingles, body twitches, pins and needles, the feeling of a "heartbeat" in my stomach, feelings of being half present, fatigue, loss of appetite. My current battle is sore arms and neck and the feeling of weakness. I've had blood tests and everything returned normal and a recent lumbar spine MRI was also normal. I have been trying meditation, exercise and positive affirmations. I'm just so fearlful of getting a non-curable disease and dying. Feeling so sad and helpless!!!!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

keep reminding yourself every time ....... anxiety will put scary thoughts into your mind! Those thoughts are not based on reality or fact. also remember FEAR stands for false evidence appearing real! i’ve had all of your symptoms plus several more and I am fine. I went through all of that worry and fear just like you and believe me it’s not worth it! The more you worry the more symptoms you will have and the vicious cycle will just go round and round.

The second you get a scary thought, stop it in its tracks and say to yourself NO! I WILL NOT give into fear! I will not go down that road !! if you don’t do that, fear will just engulf your mind and you will be miserable. The terrible part is that your odds of being very healthy are extremely high. Don’t torture yourself for nothing. Your bloodwork would have shown something. be a fighter for yourself! take care. ❤

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It really is a vicious cycle because one little sensation, has spiralled into the most horrible outlook on life. I miss my happy, strong, worry-free self and have lost weight worrying myself sick. Wishing you well on your journey!! 💗

• Posted

i have had exactly this for a few months now, the tingling, twitching, funny sensations, heart beat in chest,achy limbs, feeling shaky - its all i think about all day,its the first thing i think of when i wake up. i google MS and ALS symptoms every day, sometimes 5-10 times - especially in lockdown since theres notning to distract me i just obsess. i'm going to get blood tests next week but i am terrified of being told i have a life long disease at 24 i don't know what to do anymore 😦

• Posted

I'm sure all the bloods will come back absolutely normal! I hate going to the Drs in FEAR of hearing the worst - I sympathise. It's scary and overwhelming. The more we google symptoms, the more we convince ourselves that we have a disease. If only we could easily reverse our thoughts and convince ourselves that we are back in vibrant health. It will take some work, but I'm confident with each day, we can get back to our happy, healthy selves. In the meantime, try not to google symptoms (I'm no longer doing it!). Let us know your good drs results when you get them! Best wishes

• Posted

hello Julia,

yes I have been down this road for quite some time now. I was on citalopram to try to curb some of my anxiety issues for almost 9 months last year. I stopped taking it at the end of September and things were looking great for about a month after. little by little I have started to circle the drain again and as of Saturday I will have completed my second week on sertraline. It is safe to say the sertraline hasn't kicked in yet. I've been an anxious mess. like you I suffer from health anxiety. I have had so many different things happen and blamed it on so many different terminal illnesses that it's hard to keep up anymore. I've had test after test after test ran and no irregular results to be found. the symptoms you describe have been a thorn in my side for quite a while now and dozens more on top of that. it's like waking up in a nightmare over and over again.

I will say that even though I'm still struggling I have seen flashes of normal as well. I am like you in that I miss the worry free energetic on top of the world version of me. I'm working to try to get that back. I'm happy to talk to you about any of it anytime.

best wishes

• Posted

sorry to hear you are feeling the same. It can can be incredibly isolating and embarrassing. The constant worry makes me feel weak in the arms, then the body twitches start, panic rolls in and the irrational thoughts start too. I hope to overcome the FEAR (because that's all it is) without meds. We can overcome this!

• Posted

Hi Julia,

Im sorry you are going through this I can definitely relate. Ive been dealing with the body twitches, tingles, weakness and fatigue for around 5 months. I had an MRI and CT scan along with multiple blood tests and other than low vitamin d and magnesium (barely low) everything was normal. My wife and Primary Doc say its anxiety and I know they're probably right and i tell myself it is but im sure you know that doesnt always help. Just hang in there and know your not alone.

• Posted

Julia,

I am in the exact same position as you are in now. The only reason I found your post is because I am carrying out my daily internet search trying to find some way of determining if my symptoms are MND/MS.

My journey started the beginning of Jan with strange tightness in my hands and some sensations in my fingers, since then I have went from a happy, relaxed person to a puddle of negative thoughts and worry. My symptoms have progressed to include all of the ones you mentioned and also a lump and tightness in my throat which I convinced myself was the onset of Bulbar MND.

I have a Nerve Conduction Study scheduled for next week and another appointment with my neurosurgeon also.

The closer this gets the more the horrible thoughts and worries are building and leaving me broken.

I have been prescribed some beta blockers and anti anxiety medication but I am reluctant to start it for the fear it masks some symptoms during my tests and cause a false diagnosis, also the thought of being reliant on medication scares me too.

If anyone who has been through this has some coping techniques or reading materials they could recommend that would be great. Trying to stay positive but not working at the moment

Kieran

• Posted

Hi Julia,

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a busy couple of weeks.

I completed my NCS/EMG 10 days ago, at the test the neuro said there were some indications with nerve conduction around my wrist and could detect the twitches on the EMG but wasn't too concerned but a full report would be sent to the Dr who referred me.

For the next few days I managed to relax until new symptoms started and I received a phone call from my GP to make an appointment to discuss my results. As every other test that has been normal (bloods/Lyme) have been sent through the post this has me very worried and the anxiety has really stepped up a gear.

I am still waiting for my MRI which is due the end of this month. I am trying to keep thinking positive but it seems every time I get some form of handle on it something changes and I spiral again

• Posted

Hi Julia,

Just thought I would drop you a message to say I spoke with my GP today regarding the results from the NCS/EMG. I haven't went through the whole thing but conclusion stated no sign of nerve disease but some minor conduction blocks in my wrists typical of Carpal tunnel syndrome (which is interesting as it's probably the only thing that hasn't come up) and results consistent with benign fasciculation syndrome (something brought on by the friend no one wants .. Anxiety)

They still want me to go for a MRI to rule out any brain or spine issues so not fully out of the woods yet but a positive is a positive.

I did however find out that I have a slightly raised blood sugar level and some protein in my urine, they give with one hand and take away with the other. Like I said the fear was MND/MS and it looks like one of them is off the table so concentrating on that until the next round of tests.

Kieran

• Posted

Such a relief for you! Good to hear results are coming in clear and negative to anything sinister! Best wishes for the remainder of your testing.

• Posted

im glad i found this.

I woke up with a numb left hand and tingling down the left side of my body. Had a panic attack, went to hospital, had blood tests, mri etc and came back clear. Started googling the symptoms, and yup back to hospital in a panic lol.

If i think back, i have been having a panic in my sleep most nights, like my heart will stop, which progressed to stomach tightening in bed, and bloated feeling like my stomach was hard. I was getting a couple hours sleep a night for the last few weeks, then boom woke up with the numb left hand and tingling in the left side.

After everything coming back as clear, i noticed for the first 10 mins i was ok. Its when you stop that it starts to creep back in. Since i have been to hospital ( 2 weeks ago ) i found my heart rate would shoot up at random, and my resting heart beat was at 100bpm, so i learned some relaxing techinques like breathing and meditation etc, and i seem to have it under control now. Then my symptoms were week legs, which i still get a bit if im thinking about it, and even the bottom of my left foot goes numb, and my little finger feels like its not right. Like as if im writing with the wrong hand! lol. also my left eye twitvhes sometime like im tired.

But what i have realised ( as i write hear with my forearms burning lol ) is that it is indeed anxiety! Look how powerful you mind is over your body. To br honest i feel a bit special, that i now know from experience how powerful your mind can be, and when i have symptoms i just stop and say to my self NO! and the symptoms go away! so just remember how powerful you are and use the same powerful mind to just say no, laugh it off, its just anxiety!!

Yes anxiety causes:

tingling arms, legs, back, face, mouth, head, everywhere.

Yes your legs can feel like jelly

Yes you can feel sick

yes you can be dizzy, foggy headed.

No you dont have MS or MND, stop googling it, its literally what everyone with anxiety does, so feel some relief, have a little giggle and just think , im ok, and im going to get better every day!

• Posted

hi Jam,

really powerful post from you here! currently on my way into work and struggling today, as you can see from previous posts i am a serial sufferer of health anxiety and have recently been experiencing al the symptoms you mention above . its really comforting knowing you've had a load of tests done as well! if you dont mind me asking what MRI did you have done? im sitting here thinking i have MND or MS such a horrible feeling!!

• Edited

Hi Julia,

i am currently going through an all to regular battle with my mind regarding health anxiety. i've learnt over the past number of years that the anxious mind is extremely powerful and can make us think and feel a mass of things on a daily basis.

During this bout i decided to list the different complaints i have had over the past few years and when having tests they turned out to be nothing. this has helped alot and might be a good tip for those out there suffering.

Flu - thought I was dying - didn’t die ✅

Lump in chest - thought I had breast cancer - didn’t have breast cancer ✅

Rash on neck - thought it was skin cancer - it wasn’t ✅

Lump on neck - thought it was cancer - it wasn’t ✅

Pain in groin - thought it was prostate cancer - it wasn’t ✅

Another pain in groin - thought it was bladder cancer - it wasn’t ✅

Pain on side - thought it was spleen cancer - spleen was fine ✅

Pain continued - thought it was pancreatic cancer - it wasn’t ✅

Pins and needles all over - thought I had serious issue - it wasn’t ✅

Acid reflux - thought I had stomach cancer - it wasn’t ✅

Got pins and needles - think I’ve got ms - it isn’t ✅

to go with the above, the tests i have had include; blood tests, endoscopy, urine tests, xrays, MRI of pelvic regions, cystoscopy, flow rate tests, ultrasounds to name but a few and all come back clear.

as you can see from above my most recent concern is MS ( as i've just about managed to rule everything else out!) my current symptoms are

brain zaps like electricity constantly buzzing around my head

pins and needles that move across my entire body

dull headaches towards my forehead

muscle weakness in my two little fingers on both hands and what appears to be poor coordition.

muscle twitches all over the body

over the years i have also experienced the following symptoms

vertigo

nausea

shaking and tremours

digestive issues

as i am writing this the rational me knows that this is probably my body playing games as always but when you are going through it the whole situation consumes you!

has anyone else experienced the new symptoms i am going through?

above all else its nice to know i'm not the only one going through this and as you can see one symptom just replaces the other. CBT really helps give it a try if you haven't already!

would love to hear some more experiences

Jack

• Posted

Jack,

With regards to your new symptoms. Apart from the vertigo I have all of the above and a couple more just for good measure.

This is my first time experiencing anything like this and I have a GP appointment in two days time to discuss results from my last tests, so I'm hoping with everything I have that everything is well and I can try and put these out of my mind.

I haven't tried CBT or medicine yet as I'm really hoping I can push on from the GP appointment and relax, if not I will certainly try them to get back to my old self

Kieran

• Posted

good to hear from you Kieran, it's always nice to know you're not alone when you have an episode!

Honestly mate trust me when I say you will be fine as you can see from my list i've self diagnosed just about every terminal illness possible so I know exactly how you feel. trick is to stay as far away from google as you can and always try to work on an evidence based approach as opposed to the "What if" easier said then done when you feel like you do but you will come through the other side mate.

get all your checks done for piece of mind then set about long term defense!

Jack

• Edited

Jack,

I totally agree, speaking with someone who feels the same as you definitely makes a difference. The very least it lets you know you are not the only one.

I had a bit of a wobble the last couple of days due to the GP appointment coming round and over thinking everything but I am actively forcing myself from looking at Google. 3 months ago it would never have crossed my mind but we can only learn from our mistakes.

I also started using the medito app which has been a real help, if all goes well with testing and I start struggling again the next step will be speaking with a mental health expert.

Thanks for the support

Kieran

• Posted

no worries mate, if you have a look at what i've put myself through over the years you will see that 99 times out of 100 you will be fine. Anyone would think I was in my 70s not 29!!

See your GP, run the tests you need and then reset and go again... always use evidence to justify your concerns not the What If...

take care mate

• Posted

how did you get on kieran?? hope you're well mate

Jack

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.