Health anxiety - terrified of lymphoma

Posted , 8 users are following.

Waiting for my haematology appointment and terrified, my mental health is down the pan

I feel so lost.

My spleen was found to be enlarged on ultrasound I originally got for back pain and I had a lack of appetite. Appetite started to come back then the doctor told me. Been referred for haematology.

Since being told I can’t eat, my back hurts all around my shoulder blades, im getting abdominal pain mostly on the left. My chest hurts. Im so scared its swollen lymph nodes pressing on everything.

My doctor saw me the other day and said that because ive had 2 ultrasounds since with a normal spleen size he wouldnt even bother going if it were him. He felt my lymphs and said they were fine. that night I felt 5 lymph nodes on my neck. 2 under each side of my jAw, 2 in my neck and under my collar bone feels sore and possibly bumpy? My back is in so much pain. I dont feel hungry. Ive lost weight. I was9 st 6 last year. I dropped to 8 st 10 this september and then last night i was 8 st 7 this morning im 8 st 3. Im worried my lack of appetite and pain is due to swollen lymph nodes. I just dont know how to cope. Im crying every day scared I have late stage lymphoma that has spread. I dont want to die. Im so frightened. I feel weak. I feel hunger but the thought of food makes me feel sick. I ate a banana the other morning but then dry heaved loads after. I managed to have a normal lunch later on but Im hardly eating meals. i keep feeling like heaving im scared my throat is being squashed by something. pains in my tummy and back.

I just dont know where to turn to feel ok. Im sorry to bother you all. Im just so terrified. Ive lost 16lbs in a year now and counting.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Please do not worry too much. As your doctor said, there's most likely nothing to worry about. I have similar anxiety but I'm waiting calmly to get all the recommended tests done. Your anxiety may be the cause of your back pain and lack of appetite.

• Posted

Morning , I know how you feel but to cause yourself anxiety is probably the worst thing you can do. I know easier said than done, our brains are very complex the fact that over thinking a situation can cause real symptoms that are fictitious .

Try talking to someone near you very often a trouble shared is a problem halved.

After I had my bone marrow tested for Leukemia the consultant wanted me to call back on Christmas eve.

I said if there is something nasty going on I'll enjoy Christmas with my boys so I'm not thinking about my future when I just want to enjoy my family.

He would not hear about that insisted I come and see him? as it was I was lucky.

The reason I'm telling you this is because if I had not gone back I would have been over thinking all over the holiday spoiling it for everyone.

Try to spend some time with a friend who can help you look at the logic I'm sure all your pains are caused by you stressing try some ginger lemon tea to help calm you.

• Posted

Hi Veryworried,

I am in the same boat as you. I am a 28 male. I can also attest to the fact that the anxiety has crippled me and googling all day, a big no no, has really ruined me. I spent the better half of the past two weeks worrying and googling. I know I need to stop this. Below is a description of what I am going through, maybe we can keep each other updated as we learn more? Sorry it is so long!

Last year I had two swollen lymph nodes in my groin and some swelling in my armpit. The groin lymph nodes were noticed first so the surgeon biopsied them, but insisted they biopsy the ones in my armpit. The lymph node in my groin cam back reactive, thankfully! However the nodes in my left armpit persisted, I also noticed two in my neck on the same side. An US of my nodes and thyroid was taken and they found the modes to be normal and a cyst on my thyroid. they classified the thyroid as not requiring follow-up. Forward to February 2019, I had to change physicians due to insurance changes and he ordered an ultrasound of my left breast and armpit. The breast tissue came back normal and the ultrasound noted no malignancy identified. However, further down kn the results it noted multiple abnormal lymph nodes were identified. It did not say what was abnormal about them.. and my physician did not notice this so he did not share it with me. after multiple visits to him since then he still never mentioned it and kept assuring me the lymph nodes were fine. I discovered one of my prior physicians was in-fact in network and returned to her. she review the US and saw the notes about the lymph nodes. Considering how long they have been there, my change in bowels movements and consistency, and pain in the nodes, she referred me to the same surgeon I had seen previously. I have a second Ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow because the February results were so long ago. He. will review the images himself to better understand the abnormality and will let me know if a biopsy is needed. I personally think after all this time they should be doing a biopsy but we will see. I am a total wreck, I keep thinking I have lymphoma, leukemia, or some type of throat or lung cancer that has metastized. i am upset my original physician did not take action on the original results 9 months ago.. but i can't change that now.

• Posted

Oh please try not to worry , I have health anxiety so I know the thoughts that are racing through you andI really feel for you , its the waiting that is worse I am sure you will be fine ,try and talk to a friend or someone who understands definatly keep off google

• Posted

Its normal for weight to increase and decrease. My weight does what yours does and i am living a very healthy lifestyle. Its best to remain positive and speak to your GP if any big concerns arise.

• Posted

Its an infection inside your system. You need to speak to your doctor or a pharmacist about options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.