Health Anxiety, vision problems, hot flashes. Expert opinion needed!

Posted , 29 users are following.

My name is Sean and i'm a 34 year old male in fairly good shape (215 pounds). I run 2 miles per day. Last year was pretty stressful for me searching for a job, bills, new job, etc. I felt alot of stress and some anxiety but I always seemed to manage my emotions without loosing control, and I can shamefully admit that I medicated with alcohol most nights to take the edge off.

Well in October of 2014 I lost my grandfather who helped raise me so he was basically like my father. I took it kind of hard and wept for a day or so but THOUGHT I was over it because he doesn't have to suffer anymore. Well on December 17th I woke up with a slight hangover so I decided to take a BC powder for my headache.  I began feeling anxious which I attributed to the over consumption of alcohol so I took some bach rescue remedy and some Lithium Oratate which I heard is good for anxiety.

Well 15 minutes later I became very warm (hot flash) followed by a fast heart palpitation which landed me in the emergency room. I told the doctor the only medicine i'd been taking is Prevacid and amoxicillin from the dentist. I have continued to get palpitations, and hot flashes with new occuring symptoms ever since. I've been tested for everything under the sun from a MRI, MRA, Gall Bladder scans, Stool Test, Chest X-rays, heart echo, eye test, bone scans, blood word, etc. The only thing they have found is that my thyroid is in NORMAL range but on the hyperthyroid end 0.56 (0.34 being abnormal), my testosterone is in the NORMAL range but is on the low side 347 when it should be in the 600's. I was also low in Vitamin D 23 (with 30 being low) which I have been supplimenting for.

My symptoms have expanded over the last few months and now i'm experiencing the following, at different times:

Hot Flashes / excessive sweating

Heart palpitations

Extreme Anxiety

Eye Floaters

Weird vision/ unreality/ wierd head/brain numbness or pressure

Cold or tingling hand and feet

Muscle twitches in random areas

High frequency ringing in ears (only occured a few times)

Neck and upper back stiffness/ popping (No Pain)

Googling my symptoms has made everything WORST and pushed me to what now feels like a nervous breakdown.

Although I have tested negative for lyme disease, (Elisa/ and western blot), a guy from another website still insist that I have lyme disease.

I would love to hear from some of the more experienced anxiety sufferers to see if this is indeed health anxiety or something else.

Thanks, Sean

5 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sean, all your symptoms sound to me to be anxiety related, ive no doubt that your GP would confirm this and perhaps prescribe medication to help you through this episode.

• Posted

Thanks mate, my doctor actually did prescribe me antidepressents to help me cope while we figure things out, but it's very hard for me to take them. I have lexapro and lorazepam. I haven't taken any of the Lexapro. I've only been FORCED to take 2 lorazepam 5mg over the last 2 months when things got extremely bad and i needed to function, other than that I don't take them because I don't want to become dependent on them and now I have a NEW problem.

We don't have anxiety because we are Benzo or antidepressant difficient lol, so there is an underlining cause that we need to figure out thats making us this way. You may be deficient in one thing and I may be deficient in another. My natural doctor said people suffer for years sometimes before they realize that it was a thyroid, pituitory gland, adrenal gland, iintestinal infection, mold, hormone imbalance, etc that's driving their body out of wack.

I have to see her again friday to get some of my test results, so hopefully I can find the answers as well as solve problems for someone in a similar predicament.wink

• Posted

Hey sean, i'm 21, and for the last 6 months i've had ALL of these symptoms, and constantly as well, they never go away. Ive had so many tests, blood tests, heart monitors, MRI, echogram, the lot, and everything is apparently perfectly normal, when i know full well something in my body is NOT normal. 

i've seen so many different doctors, and they've all told me i'm fine and maybe its just anxiety... I never heard of anxiety before, i thought anxiety was just something that happened when you got abit scared about something!! but i did my own research for absolutely ages as i thought i was genuinely going to die, and i think i have health anxiety, the doctor did diagnose me with generalised anxiety disorder, and thinking about it now i always have been an excessive worrier but just never realised it ! after 6 months of doctors and tests ive finally started to believe i do have anxiety. my worst symptom is my vision. its always blurred. it feels as if if just rubbed my eyes cosntantly, and theres like black dots everywhere. i constantly feel as if im not real, like im dead and someones in my body and im not in control, just watching from the outside looking in at my body. sounds ridiculous. i dont have the typical symptoms of someone who is anxious as in im not socially anxious, im quite confident, so thats why i never believed i had anxiety. but i think i do have it quite bad. what is your vision like? thats the only thing i am so worried about, i would do aanything just to be able to see like a normal person again, and feel real!!! been to the options and they said everythings fine, i can read clearly but its just as if ive got a permanent hangover and my head is spinning, and eyes cant ajust !! also i just feel "weird", like i cant explain it, like my body feels hollow, and im so aware of my blood running round my body!! is that the same for you ???

Maybe we do just have health anxiety, but its so hard accepting it isnt it!!!

youre NOT alone, i've felt so lonely for ages but after looking at all these sites it seems so many people have exactly the same thing. 

• Posted

Hi Jade,

I'm so glad that you shared your symptoms because I am feeling exactly the same. I just don't feel like a proper human being anymore. Something has drained all my life and now it's like I just live on autopilot, completely unable to engage fully with life. I've started to wonder whether I'm ever going to re-engage and live like a normal person again. Something has definitely happened and I really feel like most doctors just think I'm neurotic but it's absolutely really happening. I'm beginning to doubt everything I think and feel which makes me unable to know what is real or not with anything but in my heart I know that I'm still in my head but I just can't join all the dots anymore. It's like I'm just going through the motions of life and coping day to day. 

We can get through this!  So wonderful to have support on here.

Best, Elide

• Posted

Hey elide

So sorry that you're experiencing it too. It's horrible isn't it. I've had this for about 10 months now, and it has got a lot better than what it was. I have therapy now and I'm on citalopram. Have you been diagnosed with anything yet???

I think I have depersonalisation and derealisation, I can see perfectly fine so I can read the bottom line at the options, but, it's just all so cloudy. So I don't need glasses, I know it's the anxiety. I just wish doctors knew more about anxiety I really do, no one seems to know anything sad I'm getting so fed up of having it now, but I'm trying my best to keep positive because I know that's the only way I will get better.

What are you symptoms like??? A lot of my physical symptoms have gone such as pins and needles, but I still feel unreal and hollow x

• Posted

Jade, Just read you post and I have been having the same symptoms for6months, they run a lot of tests, hormones, std, parasites, brain CT, and nothing at all, 4 ophthalmologists, my eyes are perfect, I see very strange things like spots, black or white, post images, and visual snow in dark places, this is worse when I wake up in the morning and before going to sleep. Of course my anxiety is very high and I'm sure it is related.

By the way I tried 5htp not to take Prozac and by now it's working. I don't see so many things out I don't pay attention, IDK. How are you doing now?

• Posted

Ive also had these symptoms among other ones and im.starting to come to the conclusion of anxiety. What that perosn your referring to was not.just Lyme disease that is very sudden and you very clearly know you are sick. He is referring to a while nother disease known as chronic lymes disease, which is basically a recurring of symptoms after the initial lymes disease. Theres a huge controversy over this and most doctors d9nt even recognise it as an actual disease. Not saying its not just im going through the same exact thing as considering lyme as an option but the more i look into it the more i realize holes in information and symptoms. I have exactly the same symptoms as you with also headaches, and the stiffness and twitches has turned into a dull achey pain. Bit try your hardest to realize the initial cause of your symptoms ive very rarely had a time where i couldn't explain it at all besides the eye floaters but which ive had for ever since i could remember.
  • Posted

HI Everyone, 

Amazing to find this thread! I started to experience everything that you have described since living in London where I moved about three years ago. I do have Ankylosing Spondylitis and uveitis which is an autoimmune issue and covers my stiffness. However, mentally, a year ago I had a complete breakdown alomost at 34 years old. I developed a huge amount of anxiety after hearing some bad news about my friend and really struggled coping with any for of change. I became really OCD and anorexic and eventually had to stay with my parents for a year to try and get back on track. Now I am still a bit depressed and anxious, I have brain fog daily, sudden onset of that adrenalin feeling at times, inability to think etc. What's worse is that I have also become paranoid about my health which I am always researching (partly because I love medecine and really wanted to be a dentist growing up) and I have become totally paranoid about chemtrails and that we are all being srayed with chemicals. I even spent months going around London taking photos of them and planes which I believe were spraying chemicals. before I really had the breakdown I was admitted to Charing Cross hospital for hypokalemia because just about ALL of my potassium ran out of my system. The Doctors have no idea how I was able to walk into the A&E with a letter from the out of hours GP saying I needed to go urgently to hospital following a blood test I had on that day. He came at 3am to tell me!  Anyway, long story short, I've now found out that hypokalemia is an indication of barium poisoning together with some of my other symptoms which has just fanned my paranoia about chemtrails. I'm now considering taking lithium on top of my antidepressent which just isn't controlling this anymore! Thanks so much for sharing. Please undersand I am not a loopy person. I have been working for a well known financial services firm in London and had an otherwise good life but this is definitely ruining my life!

Best, Elide

• Posted

Hello.

I think I'm having the same problems.

I keep seeing white flashes and random white things that vanish when I focus on them about the size of A4 paper and my vision keeps flickering too.

I have anxiety and Autism I've been looking on Google but it points mostly to eye problems but I think it's more of a mental thing.

Has anyone found anything on this?

• Posted

How is your anxiety now? I see white flashes too sometimes little black dots in my central vision when I'm really anxious.
    • Posted

hi i have the flickering in vision.Had eye test but all ok. and gp saying im suffering with GAD.
  • Posted

Hi Sean,

I could have written your post! I have every symptom you described.

I'm also debating possible Lyme and waiting for private blood test results. Which tests did you get for Lyme?

Im hoping these are all 'just' anxiety though, and its something we can eventually manage without the need for strong antibiotics.

Please keep us updated on how you progress, I'd be really interested to hear if you get any answers, or find a way to manage these random symptoms!

Thank you again for posting.

• Posted

Sounds like its anxiety. Probably mixed with anxiety attacks. Mostly health anxiety at this point. Sorry you are going through this,hope you are better now.
  • Posted

hi sean im feeling like you described? are you feeling any better now? ive been perscribed pregablin 50mg a day.anyone used this meds before?
  • Posted

hello sean,

I know its been a long time since you posted the above. I just wanted to say that tonight I decided to see what effect extreme anxiety has on the brain and eyes because 21 years ago i suffered what I consider to be a nervous breakdown due to chronic stress no doubt exacerbated by cannabis/skunk. I was clueless back then. Over the years I've tried to find out why after the breakdown my head didn't feel the same. I still suffer from depersonalisation, I ruminate all the time and for many years I felt like the emergency switch had been left on inside my brain. I soon noticed eye floaters, long twisty ones which were not there before. I suddenly became very sensitive to bright lights too. I was put on anti-depressants which I hoped would reverse these feelings, but it was clear over time that my brain wasn't going to return to normal, possibly ever. This was really hard to deal with and those closest to me took the brunt of my frustrations.

I remember going to the opticians soon after the breakdown hoping they would detect something wrong or see the floaters but they didn't. I, like you, read up on things which supported the depressing idea that I'd damaged my brain and I'm stuck with this condition till I die.

I wasn't sure if this was all in my head and my eyes were not the problem. I had an EEG test done to detect anything unusual in my brainwaves but again, nothing.

After time I became dissilusioned with finding any answers for my ongoing symptoms and all the time feeling that permanently 'on' emergency switch in my head.

Things got worse in 2002. After a painful end to a relationship I became psychotic. Although this was the worst time of my life I think I needed to go down that hole to hit rock bottom so I could put myself right once and for all, although it didn't feel like that at the time.

To this day I still have all the symptoms I mentioned earlier except the psychosis and I'm resigned to the fact that my eye floaters are here to stay and were formed as a result of a chronic and prolonged stress event. 

And this brings me to what I originally was talking bout. I typed into google and read a really fascinating article on how certain brain cells change in chronic stress situations and permanently so. Now I'm no expert but it seems I may be starting to find answers. At first I thought it was the skunk which had done damage to my brain. Now I believe it was the chronic stress which changed some of my brain chemistry.

I hope you don't think I'm saying that our stories are the same, I'm not. But I hope this may shed some light on what you have been going through. Also the good news is that these days evidence supports that the brain is very plastic and you can do a lot to get things good again.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.