Health Anxiety, vision problems, hot flashes. Expert opinion needed!

Posted , 29 users are following.

My name is Sean and i'm a 34 year old male in fairly good shape (215 pounds). I run 2 miles per day. Last year was pretty stressful for me searching for a job, bills, new job, etc. I felt alot of stress and some anxiety but I always seemed to manage my emotions without loosing control, and I can shamefully admit that I medicated with alcohol most nights to take the edge off.

Well in October of 2014 I lost my grandfather who helped raise me so he was basically like my father. I took it kind of hard and wept for a day or so but THOUGHT I was over it because he doesn't have to suffer anymore. Well on December 17th I woke up with a slight hangover so I decided to take a BC powder for my headache.  I began feeling anxious which I attributed to the over consumption of alcohol so I took some bach rescue remedy and some Lithium Oratate which I heard is good for anxiety.

Well 15 minutes later I became very warm (hot flash) followed by a fast heart palpitation which landed me in the emergency room. I told the doctor the only medicine i'd been taking is Prevacid and amoxicillin from the dentist. I have continued to get palpitations, and hot flashes with new occuring symptoms ever since. I've been tested for everything under the sun from a MRI, MRA, Gall Bladder scans, Stool Test, Chest X-rays, heart echo, eye test, bone scans, blood word, etc. The only thing they have found is that my thyroid is in NORMAL range but on the hyperthyroid end 0.56 (0.34 being abnormal), my testosterone is in the NORMAL range but is on the low side 347 when it should be in the 600's. I was also low in Vitamin D 23 (with 30 being low) which I have been supplimenting for.

My symptoms have expanded over the last few months and now i'm experiencing the following, at different times:

Hot Flashes / excessive sweating

Heart palpitations

Extreme Anxiety

Eye Floaters

Weird vision/ unreality/ wierd head/brain numbness or pressure

Cold or tingling hand and feet

Muscle twitches in random areas

High frequency ringing in ears (only occured a few times)

Neck and upper back stiffness/ popping (No Pain)

Googling my symptoms has made everything WORST and pushed me to what now feels like a nervous breakdown.

Although I have tested negative for lyme disease, (Elisa/ and western blot), a guy from another website still insist that I have lyme disease.

I would love to hear from some of the more experienced anxiety sufferers to see if this is indeed health anxiety or something else.

Thanks, Sean

5 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

when you say weird vision what do you mean cause im experiancing weird vision and i dont know how to explain it its just weird

• Posted

Hello Sean63809,

I don't know if you'll see this or not, however I seven this post while googling symptoms. Which I know is so bad however I can't help it my girlfriend had been going through similar things you were going thru or still are...she's had so many tests done, everything comes back good. I'm curious to know if you have found out anything yet? Please anything would help.

• Posted

Is there anyway you can let me know how you have gotten better with this. I've been going thru the exact same thing without any meds

• Posted

Listen to me, every single one of you will get back to normal. I've talked to several people who have overcome their anxiety but haven't come back online to let people know. It's easy to forget when you're doing better enjoying life. Thats why you rarely see success stories because the only people that come back are those who are still suffering, when in fact ALL people get better when they start thinking positive. Make sure your vitamin and especially electrolytes are sufficient. Exercise daily and eat healthier. MOST people i know need help to get back to normal because the nervous system fully restored itself with time. Please go to your doctor and ask for Lexapro, Zoloft or any other antidepressant to help you along the way. The drugs are temporary so please don't think you have to suffer and do it without them. In time your nervous system will settle down and everything will return to normal. Learn to accept your anxiety and never fight it.

• Posted

It is nice to hear you are doing better. As you sai there is light at the en of the tunnel, at least I hope. I have been experiencing severe anxiety ofr 3 months now due to a medical condition. I have been through this before and was able to get through and this time I feel like it is taking much longer. I struggle everyday with different anxieyt symtoms. I am well aware of them now so I don't let them bother me as much. None the less I struggle and there are days that I am afraid that I wont make it through. It is no fun to fear the future.

• Posted

I had almost every symptom that anxiety had to offer some of which I didn't list on here, and i overcame them. You believing there isn't hope at the end of the tunnel is exactly what anxiety does. it makes you believe you're doomed, and that you have every deadly rare disease in the book. As stated before please see your doctor and get on one of the antidepressant listed above. That will get you through long enough to recondition your mind which is needed in order to stop the symptoms. I wish I had gone on medication and saved myself a year of suffering but I chose to listen to people saying avoid it. Everyone who tells me they went the medication route and weened themselves off of it did a lot less suffering than I did and ended up with the same result (Got better). Take advantage of the free YouTube videos about accepting anxiety and anxiety remedies and supplements. Listen to the successful stories of others who overcame their anxiety. You will get back to normal if not better than you were before the anxiety!

• Posted

Reading this thread, I've burst into tears along with manic laughing- it's all too relatable. I've suffered from GAD since I was a child. I almost missed out on my graduation because I swore I was dying from MS. In August, my foot went numb. Ever since then, I've been on a severe, debilitating downward spiral. I can't function normally in my daily life. I know I'm depressed, but physical symptoms are present and horrifying. My floaters and other vision problems have been out of control. I can't look at anything without being plagued by numerous floaters and spots in my vision. I'm still terrified I have a neurological disorder, cancer, or some other malignant ailment. Sorry for the anecdote, but in summary, I just wanted to know if you have vision problems daily,especially floaters. Research I've done associates anxieties and floaters, nevertheless, they are common in MS patients. And in tandem with the paresthesia, I'm convinced it's the worst. What have you done to decrease your floaters? Have you ever had prolonged episodes of numbness? Any help or advice would be overwhelmingly appreciated. I admire you for your willingness to take time out of your day to relay your struggles and accomplishments to other sufferers. Thank you.

• Posted

Just read your post and I can tell you I have gone through the same, I thought for6months that I was suffering some strange disease and that I was going to die miserably because I wasn't forcing the doctors to make more tests. I had all tests done and nothing came wrong, doctors looked at me like they wanted to slap me, jealous of my health. Started with fluoxetine and alprazolam, got better, but felt like I was going through life feeling nothing at all, but at least not suffering. Floaters are never going away, and they came because of the super awareness anxiety gives you. Bright spots are caused by anxiety too. I just got an aminoacid called 5htp, it increases the serotonin like the fluoxetin but with less side effects, I am not taking fluoxetine anymore and I'm feeling like I can enjoy some moments, eyes are the same but you don't pay attention and floaters disappear until you searchfor them, but it is fiscally impossible to make them disappear, I also asked people if they have ever seen them themselves, they told me no, and I made them look at the sky and look for them and they see floaters for the first time, everyone have them, but the extra awareness of anxiety makes you see them all the time. Hope this is helpful for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I have been on and off of SSRIs and other anxiety/depression medicine my entire life. I was recently prescribed Pamelor, but it increased my heart rate too much with little to no effect on my anxiety. The last time I went I was prescribed two more types of medicine, one Celexa and Vistaril. Haven't tried them yet, as I hate taking medicine for numerous reasons (scared of side effects, change in personality, etc). I try telling myself the floaters will disappear if I ignore them, but that never works. Funny, I ask everyone if they have floaters and flashes of light all the time, too! Most people do see them in the sky, but I see them all the time. Gotta love super sensitive and reactive senses...I'm still worried that the patch of numbness on my foot is related to my vision issues, but I could be looking into too much. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi, I made an account just to respond to you. I have literally every symptom IN THE BOOK for anxiety, and all of what you mentioned including the eye floaters! I see them a lot, actually. I have numbness and twitching all over. I've had my heart tested multiple times, many different ways.... I haven't been tested for the dreaded MS.. it is just one of the MANY diseases that I have been convinced that I have. I'm reluctant to spend any more money, because everything has always come back "fine." Try to realize that all of your worrying DEFINITELY causes symptoms! Anxiety can and DOES manifest itself in sooooooo many ways! Search an exhaustive list of anxiety symptoms.... you'll see that it truly is exhaustive! These symptoms can happen for no apparent reason, when you don't feel anxious. Please try to learn to recognize when you are feeling anxious. A lot of the time, I didn't even know I was anxious! And then I would get symptoms some time in the next few days (after I wasn't anxious anymore) and I thought the symptoms were just popping up randomly, when really they were triggered a day or two before. Anyway, I hope this helps.. my list of symptoms is too long to write! You're not alone!! And DON'T worry about it!!

• Posted

Try htp5, read about it and you will see that it had no side effects, inexpensive too. For the floaters, I see them even in a dark room, when I go out I have to wear my blueblockers, those are orange sunglasses that block blue light, also inexpensive, and artificial tears, they help a lot. I had so many symptoms, changing day by day, that I cannot even remember them all. I'm just trying to help because forums liked this kept me alive when I had my panic attacks. It seems like everything is better now, but it has been just a month, let's see how it ends for me.

• Posted

Thank you. I wake up every day knowing that I'll be struggling to tell myself I'm fine while part of me destroys this notion and convinces me I'm doomed. I'm at my breaking point, and I'm actually starting to scare myself, because I could always differentiate my delusions and reality. Recently, the line is becoming blurred,and it's scary. I've had panic attacks where I think I'm dying, high heat rate, high blood pressure, auras, spasms, numbness, depersonalization, etc. But the constant numbness and the floaters have been getting me. Even if I'm not dying from some horrible disease, the battle with GAD is tolling. I no longer have interest in anything,and it is exhausting just to fight with myself daily. Everyone in my life is getting annoyed because I'm constantly complaining and begging them for reassurance. Thank guy for sharing your story and making me feel less insane.

• Posted

I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks for the suggestions. The glasses and drops seem beneficial too! I've been considering yoga or therapy, because I don't want to become someone else by mediating myself to the point of mere existence. These forums are helpful. I've never actually written anything until today, but reading them has always made me feel less alone. Thank you.

• Posted

I know this is an old post but I have many of the same symptoms and have had them for almost 2 years. I have gotten no answers so far. Please let me know if you ever got any answers or a firm diagnosis other than panic or anxiety disorders. I am so desperate at this point. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Rachel you are suffering anxiety which cause all the physical symptoms.Anxiety is physical as well as mental that is why most people don't believe that anxiety can make you feel so ill.It is a horrible illness however there is treatment and you can feel better than you do now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.