Hearing voices

Posted , 12 users are following.

Diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, major depression and schizotypal disorder.

My husband and I are on holiday in Greece for a month, ten days left to go. It was supposed to be a rest after I tried to take my life in May. I didn't want to come. I didn't feel safe enough but everyone said it would do me good.

Things have got worse and I don't feel safe here. The last few days I can hear voices. One is kind and talks to me. The other one is bad. She screams at me constantly. She says I should burn and die. She won't stop screaming. I'm too frightened to tell my husband in case it makes her worse but I don't know what to do.

I don't know where I can get help here. We're in the middle of nowhere and I haven't even seen a pharmacy for days.

Please help. I don't know what to do.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, this probably will be no help to you at all but I though it was worth saying (just in case).

I watched a BBC documentary not so long ago where a psychiatrist tried a new approach with people who hear voices. I think the two women that took part had schizophrenia or bipolar, or maybe schizoaffective disorder! It doesn't really matter, the point is that they both had voices talking to them. Some were nice and some were scary. Like you are experiencing. Well this doctor got them to sit down and with his help they 'confronted' the voices. Talked back at them and told them they were not frightened of them. Then he spoke to these bad voices directly. He asked one of the women what they were saying. It turned out that these women had had bad experiences in their past.  And the voices were their brains way of coping with what had happened. It was like it has split into different parts (or characters) to protect itself somehow. And the bad, scary, voices were not bad or scary at all. They were actually trying to warn the women. To protect them. It was as if some part of their brains was trapped in the past and still trying to warn them of a danger that had long since gone. So yes they said not nice things, they said what appeared to be threatening things. But that was not their intention. (And remember, these 'voices' are not other people. They are you. Your own brain is generating them.) The upshot was, the women felt so much better knowing that these voices were not 'evil' after all. So they were not scared of them anymore. I think they were rather blown away by the whole experience!

I don't know what it is like to hear voices. I can't really know how frightening it must be to hear a voice in your own head shout and scream things at you. But it really is just your own brain doing it. And it is doing it for a reason. It is the brains way of coping (at least that is what I gleaned from the documentary). 

I'm really sorry Lucy if this is no help to you. I hope someone else can perhaps give you a better more helpful reply!

• Posted

What ever u do don't self harm and listen to the horrible voices you are hearing...if u are feeling very unwell I think you could also go to a hospital in Greece and ask for help....please take care...

• Posted

I honestly have no idea how hard things are for you but if I were to give you any advice it would be to talk to your husband. If he knows whats going on he can help you. If worse comes to worse, there will undoubtedly be a hospital somewhere with people that will protect you at all costs. In the meantime only focus on the good voices.
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies.

She is a little quieter today. Just trying to get through the next nine days until I can go home. I don't trust the hospitals here so don't think that's an option.

• Posted

lucy

pretty please tell him so when you get home you can get as soon as possiable  if not sooner he loves you thats why he took you on holiday tell him the truth .

• Posted

Please Lucy enjoy your holiday. If I hear voices telling me I'm stupid and thick I can now go for long walks with my headphones on believe me they actually work because it blocks the whole world out. But be careful walk somewhere safe were there is lots of people around you won't see them because your concentrating on music nothing also but at least you will be safe. Life is a battle but we must keep battling on. Trust your husband I know it's hard I find it difficult to say anything to mine because I think he doesn't understand what's in my head. Push through and talk to him he will understand and hold you close. All you need is reassurance from him and a good cuddle. All is not the end at least your away from it all at the moment try to enjoy this stay positive. From michelle

• Posted

hi lucy

how are your voices today we are thinking of you have you spoken with your husband and told him whats going on

take care

• Posted

I have tried to tell him but every time I try the words just dry up.

The only thing that shuts her up is cutting or taking some sleeping pills to knock myself out.

• Posted

lucy

i am sorry that you can not find the words to be able to tell him whats going on it brings tears to my eyes. i wish you had the words to tell him .

please do not take to maney pills as this could do you more harm when she talks try humming a tune like humpydunpy fell of the wall  and all the kings men found and put him back together again or tiney tim had a hym that he went to sing but found himself sitting on a swing both of these have a positive not at the end if you get my drift  i tend to run on the spot and sing meatloaf bat out of hell.

and tell your husband that you love him and reasure yourself that you are alive and well try to stay positive and remember thier are people out thier that care even totall strangers no matter where you are in the world

take care petram

• Posted

What an awful situation to be in.  It must be really difficult for you.  Can you not try and find anywhere that can help with some meditation to try to keep you calm and focus your mind on anything.  Your husband will see the cutting surely?  Keep trying to tell him, it may even help when he knows as he will be able to support you.  I can imagine that it is really hard but don't give up.  Keep trying and focusing on getting through one day at a time.

• Posted

He's seen the cutting. He made me go to a walk in clinic last night to be stitched up. It's just made him angry with me.

• Posted

I presume that his anger is really frustration at not knowing how to handle the situation and to be honest he will be worried about you and not really know how to cope.  It sounds like you could both do with some counselling so that he can understand your illness and have some help in coping too.  It can be very hard on both of you but you both need to find a way to unite and go forward.  Stay strong and also try to talk as much as you can.  If it starts to get heated then have a break then try again.  You both need some help with this and I do advise when you are back to go and see your GP to get the help you need.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy, if your finding it difficult to talk to your husband then may be write it down for him to read? 

Your obviousky not very well Lucy, are these voices your own voice or someone else? I'm not sure what is the best advise for you really other than to seal help as soon as you get home, I can only think about answering back to the nasty voice.

Neil 

• Posted

He's so angry with me about the cutting, I'm not sure he can take this too.

The voices aren't my own. I thought the angry one was the baby I lost but I'm not sure now. She says her name is Rachel.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, I think you need to get home and go see your GP asap, hearing other people's voices and saying who she is is an auditory hallucination a symptom of schizophrenia.

If you can manage another 9 days before you get home then great but I would advise you to be careful not to allow them to make you do things. Your husband needs to know if things get worse. 

Remember these voices are not real your illness is producing them so you can ignore them or tell the nasty one that your not going to listen and that your not going to do anything the voice tells you to do.

Get help ASAP. Neil 

• Posted

I agree with aspinan speak to your husband and don't take notices of voices tell them your not going to do anything,

Alexander

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.