Heart attack

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am wanting to connect with anyone who has recently or maybe some time ago had a heart attack. Am 47 years old and had a heart attack last Friday. I had a blood clot removed from my artery and a stent fitted Friday night. I have been discharged from hospital came home Monday eve. I am so so scared it is going to happen again. I am on my own during the day. And today I feel like I have a pain in my back and my chest but feel it could be just as am worrying and anxious. I took my spray and it seemed to calm down.  Does anyone have any advice to how I can move forward. I feel upset all the time but mainly just so so scared. Thank you 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They did an angiogram and stented the only blockage so you are now in the clear. They will get you to cardio rehab to improve your fitness and confidence. Are you on any medication now? 
    • Posted

Thank you and yes on lots of meds. Just hope in time I won’t be terrified of being on my own. I used to love my own company too. Thank you for taking the time to reply. 
    • Posted

Sharon,

I was 45 when I was diagnosed with an cardiomyopathy. GP thought my ECG showed I had had a heart attack & I had to wait four weeks to see a cardiologist. That was two years ago & that four week wait period was terrifying. It was equally scary for a good few months following diagnosis too. I noted down every pain, niggle or slight increase in heart rate & my anxiety was off the scale, which in turn was probably why I was getting those pains, niggles & increase in heart rate!

Looking back, I still have nervous days. Finding a support group online specifically for my heart condition helped enormously. Helped me to realise I was not alone. The other bit that helped was changing my diet. Yes I still cheat occasionally when I absolutely crave a marmite sandwich, but the rest of the time salt is off my diet.

You've had the stent fitted & have had a full cardiac check so the chances of anything happening to you are low. Now it's a case of taking it day by day & focusing on all the other things in life that are out there for us 47 year olds. I'm off to a spa tomorrow!

• Posted

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Diet has changed though was kinda healthy before the attack. Not smoked since before it happened. Will never smoke again. Yes I have been looking for a support group. Thank you and glad your all well. Enjoy the spa x
  • Posted

Sharon,

Just as Derek says, you have had the problem area fixed with a stent. Whilst they did I'd they also check out the rest of the heart, had they found another blockage they would more than likely stented that as well.

I had a silent heart attack, no pain back when I was your age. A single stent fitted and I too worried just like you. The worry no anxiety does cause physical symptoms, try to relax, take deep breaths and calm yourself down. I suffered what were called after shocks, where the heart is healing after the attack.

Cardiac Rehab is a must and the best thing you'll do to get moving and improve your confidence.

Chase anyone for the service,  consultant, GP. You should automatically be invited to a club run by th cardiac team, but worth chasing.

You should be on Asprin to thin the blood and I'm guessing statins. Make sure you take them and I hope all goes well for you

Matt

• Posted

I was surprised when I went to cardio rehab after my heart valve replacement that most of the others were ladies in their 50-60's who had stents. None had exercised before and went every where by car and were overweight.

• Posted

Thank you Matt 

Yes have the appointment to start it from the 14th March.   I just pray in time I will stop being scared. 

• Posted

Sharon,

It takes time to trust yourself, but you will. Rehab is the best thing you can do, you'll be monitored by cardiac nurses, so make sure you push yourself. By the time you finish you'll be amazed just how much you can do.

All the best

• Posted

Thank you Matt

Today has been up and down and will take each day as it comes. Just don’t want another clot to form in the stent which I know can happen. I’ve stopped smoking it’s my 4th day changed my diet slightly as it was 90% healthy and am off work for about 6 weeks. Just scared to be on my own in the house which I know sounds stupid 

• Posted

Off work for six weeks seems way too long. Six weeks after having my chest opened to have my aortic valve replaced I was pretty much back to normal and I was in my mid 70's.

Clot risk in stents is very low and you are on an anti platelet medication.  

• Posted

Find someone to walk with, it will do you the world of good. Stopping smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself. Keep an eye on your cholesterol, you should have regular check ups within the first year, then an annual check up.

The Asprin and Statins will work against the stent clotting. You do need to trust that your heart has had a good check up and if there was any sign of a narrowing, they would have dealt with it.

From my experience, those who dont it take the heart attack seriously, fail to exercise, fail to stop  smoking, fail to adjust their diet suffer problems.

• Posted

Thank you Matt I have stopped. And am adjusting my diet. Salt fat sat fat sugar. I am out of breath just talking wich is hard. Rehab starts 14th March 
  • Posted

I can commiserate with you, I've had 3, but mine were vasospasm induced and they occurred years apart, first one at 37, 43 and 62.  I've recently learned that LUPUS is most likely the driving factor for my events, this disorder can cause inflammation of any vessels, including the coronaries.  I have had caths done which didn't show any demonstrable plaque formation and it doesn't show until you get to 50% anyway.  While rehab is helpful for most people, what I needed more

was pulmonary rehab, because my lungs ( as far as forced expiratory volume is concerned) measure in at 29% and I was told I should be at 100%.  I find this hard

to believe because I'm still functional, but it's reduced.  I'm glad you quit smoking, my father started smoking at 14, but quit when he was 28, however the grim reaper claimed him at 62 with a MI.  We were told damage was done to the lining of his coronaries even though he quit.  I don't smoke, but I can understand how difficult it must be to quit.  I find different distractions quite helpful when my mind starts to drift to reacting to palpitations and other cardiac symptoms.  I wish you the best with your diet and overall health going forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.