Heart Racing...But Pulse is Normal....What's Happening?

Posted , 38 users are following.

Best I can describe it is that it feels as though I've had a bunch of caffeine (and I haven't)....heart feels as though it's beating very quickly, but when I check my pulse, it's between 62 and 70BPM (very normal)....neck muscles feels tight and face feels tingly and I feel shaky (although not visibly)....nerves?? Heart attack? I'm trying to calm down, but hate this feeling. By the way, I've had four ECGs done in the last year, and comprehesive blood work two weeks ago and everything looks just fine (in fact, my doctor said I was the picture of health)...so what's going on with this weird feeling????? I really don't want to go to the emergency room again (been five times in the last eighteen months) only to have them tell me it's anxiety.....I'm so frustrated!!!!

3 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Five times? Are you in any kind of therapy? You seem to be trapped in the body " feelings" aspect of all this. You need to address the "thought" part of this disorder. Its a panic disorder. I know you know that im just saying honing in on the symptoms all the time and addressing the "feelings" isnt going to break the cycle of all this. 

• Posted

Not emotional feelings ..body "feelings". The mind has thoughts and the body has feelings. The two just intertwine.

• Posted

Hi i suffer from this sensation and also what feels like a sinking/ fluttering feeling and have also many ecgs and blood tests etc all normal so far do i also experience a rush to the head when i stand from seated but still no answers as to why im 28 and otherwise fine.
  • Posted

So im just gonna throw this all out there.. dont judge me. Lol yes I am a gown man.. for the past couple years have been feeling this a couple nights a week. I had went through some pretty emotional times that I can only describe as "mind altering" I was depressed for a while there but got over the situation and moved on. Im for the most part a happy person. Very shy but ok. But any way.. I get this feeling in my chest like most every night and I cannot go to sleep until it passes. It feels like my heart is pounding so hard so I started to medicate naturally. This itself didn't make it go away entirely. But while the medication starts to kick in my brain for that brief moment in time becomes clear and I have "room" now to think about literally the things that have happened and how they have changed me and what I want out of life and for some reason every time this happens I start to get emotional and (im alone at this time) I start to cry. Its not like a wierd cry for no reason tho. It was something I feel had been bottling up for a while and It just needed to get out.. because this is the only thing that ever helps that feeling for me.. who knows. Maybe it will make sense to someone else.

• Posted

Classic anxiety symptoms. Stress=anxiety (its a sliding scale)...the more stress you have in your life, and the more one allows it to go unchecked, the greater the odds of a full blown panic attack (ie, feeling like you are actually having a heart attack, racing heart, choking, tingling arms etc.). Breathing problems can bring them on (yes people can mildly hyperventilate without knowing). Try to manage your stress with exercise, eating healthy, quality sleep, breathing exercises, changing thought patterns, avoiding stressors in your life that can be avoided. Also speaking with a professional can help you understand and manage your stress/anxiety.
  • Posted

I am twelve years old and every evening I feel like I can't breath, at the moment it's happening and my heart is beating at 86 bpm,is this serious or should I just do breathing exercises

PS:I have asthma and I always forget to take my preventer

• Posted

Hey kiddo,

I came across this post when I was searching through Google and signed up just to reply to you. I have a son who is 13 so being a momma I couldn't stand it for you to be on here worried, scared, and looking for answers.

First relax. Your mom and dad will take care of you. Never doubt that honey. Have you sat down with them and told them how you're feeling? Make sure to let them know. It very well could be you're just nervous. You also have to remember your inhaler and use it like you're supposed to. I would rather you get off the internet and go sit with mom and dad and talk to them and snuggle them for a while ok? Is that possible?

Everything will be alright. Enjoy every minute of your young life. God will take care of you. If you wind up here again let me know how you're doing.

((( hugs )))

Nikki

• Posted

Hi I'm from the uk I've suspected these episodes I have are panic attacks it's 2:23am right now around 1am I was layin down to sleep my heart startin flickering away I got all flushed needed the toilet arms felt fuzzy but now both arms just feel a little pained I get goosebumps all over my body can't relax panicking thinking I'm gonna have to ring an ambulance horrible feeling trying to calm myself and tell myself nothing's wrong if it was something serious I would know as it's almost an hour later sorry this message isn't very clear but I don't really know how to word it it's all kind of new to me st first I thought I was just s hypeocondriact thinkin something was wrong with me constantly and fixating on my health I hate this I just wanna sleep xxxx 😢😢

• Posted

It's always out of nowhere. Up an hour now for no reason. Heart rate normal

• Posted

You are so not alone I'm also in the exact same position! Message anytime if your panicking again xx

• Posted

Maybe its more of a sensation awareness. Some people can feel their hearts beating in a state of anxiety but its really beating normal.
    • Posted

I feel the same way. My heart beats very fast when I wake up from my sleep or a nap for the past few days.
  • Posted

I feel ya. I've dealt with panic attacks since I was six-years-old. But recently they've amped up to levels where I feel like I have a heart attack. I called in to make an appointment with my doctor, and she sent me to the ER. Everything was normal, and I was also told that I had a perfect bill of health. I did a follow-up visit with my doctor, and she confirmed that all vitals were good and I was healthy. She suggested I take a Benadryl to help with my sleep in the evening. Because of previous panic attacks I started up yoga, I run, I dance, I bike, I hike, I eat very healthily, I basically do a  lot of activities that help to mitigate the stress and control my panic attacks. Recently I have not been able to keep up with some of these because I'm working a full-time job that requires me to travel every other week, I'm planning a wedding, and I'm in college. Eventually, the fight or flight mode is turned on permanently, and unless you find what it is that is stressing you out you will continue to experience the same symptoms. Anxiety and depression go hand in hand because your body is exhausted and you can't do the things that help release the stress. One thing I've learned is that you have to create boundaries for yourself whether that is work, relationships, family, etc... When I started waking up in panic attacks recently, and I lost control of them, I realized I let my boundaries go and was overextending myself again. Now I'm back to square one and recreating those boundaries and getting back to normal. These are all things that I've been taught through therapy and life experience. It's frustrating, but things will get better. smile

• Posted

Ask your doctor to check Adrenal glands and cortisol level. Because normally doctors don't know it's a adrenal gland or cortisol problem. They will just give you beta blockers.

• Posted

And beta blockers just make things even worse
    • Posted

hi irme --what do you mean it makes it worse--they help me sometimes.
    • Posted

I believe all anxiety-stress is due to catecholamines going crazy in our bodies! tell us more info!

why there is not a condition that is based on unstable or overactive nervous systems ,i dont know.there are a few-but usually it is an adrenal tumor or  thyroid storms--pots--so if its is not a documented disease--forget it.its called anxiety,Stress disease is not a real disease it seems.It ruined my life for sure tho.in my younger yrs couldnt study right-think right etc without feeling extreme stress.Just day to day living is not an easy task .

• Posted

This is how our body respond when there is something wrong but not for long period. It comes back to normal when disease or else is fixed. In my case Gastroenterologist found that I was having palpitations due to stomach disorder. Later on my Cardiologist found that my heart racing due to lack of sleep. So I'd changed my time table and tried to sleep as early as possible. 12 hours sleep. My gastrologist gave me stomach and anxiety medicine but I took only stomach med. My Cardiologist gave me beta blocker only for a week which controlled my heart rate. Actually my Cardiologist is against beta blockers and anxiety meds for long period. Now here I am 100% fine. In the start my experience with doctors were very bad. It's very hard to find right doctor.

• Posted

Interesting--what was stomach disorder?(I do have hiatal hernia-small and larangeal reflex)and who checked your cortisol?they dont normally do this I think because they would say its just stress if it was high. I have been on xanax for yrs to sleep and beta blocker too and other BP meds on and off..I cant live without benzo it seems-as I tried.cant sleep and feel like its killing me if I cant rest.I do have svt that was found over a yr ago. not usually bothered with fast palpitions .i had a bad reaction to stress 1 day and my neck had been pounding hard but not fast under the carotid for 2 yrs on and off with no explaination.then when i had the very stressful event Iwent to ER and they caught the svt with a 230 pulse!didnt even know it was fast--just harsh!,Then they said the neck pulse feeling was caused by the heart !

glad you are better! natural medicine is what I would like to do too

• Posted

OMG what have you done to yourself. You know in the beginning there were fewer Dr who told me that I had svt but later on checked up with another Dr the results are odd. One thing I will tell you if you have stomach disorder then definitely you will have high blood pressure but that's only due to stomach problem. Now you are on a path where you haven't take beta blocker. But nothing is too late.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.