Heart Racing...But Pulse is Normal....What's Happening?

Posted , 38 users are following.

Best I can describe it is that it feels as though I've had a bunch of caffeine (and I haven't)....heart feels as though it's beating very quickly, but when I check my pulse, it's between 62 and 70BPM (very normal)....neck muscles feels tight and face feels tingly and I feel shaky (although not visibly)....nerves?? Heart attack? I'm trying to calm down, but hate this feeling. By the way, I've had four ECGs done in the last year, and comprehesive blood work two weeks ago and everything looks just fine (in fact, my doctor said I was the picture of health)...so what's going on with this weird feeling????? I really don't want to go to the emergency room again (been five times in the last eighteen months) only to have them tell me it's anxiety.....I'm so frustrated!!!!

3 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

The symptoms you are experiencing are very similar to mine and I truly understand how you feel and it's a horrible feeling. My anxiety is pretty much put into check during the day but at night trying to fall asleep it hits full throttle at times. My heart starts racing but my pulse is normal until it creates an anxiety attack and that's when my heart rate really starts jumping. I try breathing techniques and I do eventually calm down but it has been every night. I hope everything is okay for you now and everyone else that has posted but it makes me feel better just talking about it you know.

• Posted

Try the headspace app (guided meditation). First 10 sessions are free. It can help a lot with breathing and relaxation.
  • Posted

I have this problem as well. I have tried holistic approaches and decided to go to my doctor for some meds which definitely help. I am also seeing a therapist, as I separated from my husband last year (trust me, it was a good thing!). 

I have had 2 normal ECGs, 3 normal chest X-rays, and several blood tests all normal except for slightly elevated calcium levels. I couldn’t get in to see an endocrinologist until April to get my thyroid tested. The hypochondriac in me is saying I have thyroid cancer and I know I need to calm down!

I did get a referral for a cardiologist for this Monday because I would rather have a second opinion regarding my heart palpitations, dizziness, and fatigue. It’s interfering with my work and home life and I just want to feel normal again.

It might be stress and anxiety but I want to be sure. I also feel like I can’t take a deep breath and feel a heaviness on my chest from time to time. It’s awful! I wish we all had answers!

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

You are definitely not alone. Check your breathing throughout the day, see if your breaths are shallow or full and deep. Try to get to a point where it is natural to take deep breaths without thinking about it. Try meditation (I like the app headspace as it helps train your body how to breathe properly). See if you can reduce your stress during the day. Take frequent breaks, go for a walk outside etc. Try to stay balanced. And remember, your health check-ups are all normal!! Pin these to your wall and remind yourself everyday. Clean bill of health.

• Posted

You are frustrated because it is anxiety and you are looking for something else. I have been there many many many times. It is what anxiety does with us, it makes us irrational. You have been tested and told you are fine, you are fine, but anxiety is making you play the what if game. What if they missed something, what if there is something new, what if??? You need to try to accept that it is anxiety and start treating that. I'm not saying that is the be all and end all but if you start by treating the anxiety your symptoms should become less intense. Now treatment can mean a lot of things, you decide what is best for you. I only get relief from my anxiety with a combo of meds and therapy. Without them I am miserable and visit the E.R way more than anyone should. Also try doing your own research on coping techniques. Things like aromatherapy, yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, diets (what foods to avoid), anything that you can try on your own that might help with your symptoms. And don't for one minute let anyone tell you that these symptoms are NOT real, just because they aren't being caused by something other than anxiety. Your brain is telling your body to respond a certain way, your body's job is to listen to the brain, that is why you feel the way you do sometimes for no apparent reason. I've been struggling for over 20 years and have heard it all and still have really horrible days. I have been without medical care for a few years now because I can't afford out of pocket medical so I have been stuck for a while. But I can tell you that when I was on the right meds and in regular therapy I went almost 3 years without seeing the inside of a hospital. Talk to your doctor or a psychiatrist as soon as you can about what you can do to help with your anxiety. Don't be afraid to speak up, ask questions, you are the one who has to live in your body. Best of Luck!!!

• Posted

Rachel--I'm not sure if you read my reply to Keith-but i am proof that it can be something else and it took them yrs to find it.,(age 57) and just by luck.Ever since they caught the SVT the concern has become more important-not to mention that the condition isnt completely understood.At least the drs admit that! The ER dr said what happened to me wasnt my fault----but what it felt  like was a huge panic attack that got out of control ,that felt like it was my fault!

• Posted

Hello Kitty, I totally understand what you are speaking about. I too will feel like my heart is racing. I will put my hand on my chest and my hand will feel like there is a rapid heartbeat but at the same time I will check my pulse and there is no rapid heartbeat, my pulse is normal. I am researching to find out if this could possibly be some type of a spasm in the chest area that makes me feel like it is a rapid heartbeat. For me it is not any type of anxiety or palpitation or rapid heartbeat because at the same time I am experiencing this my pulse is normal. Thank you so much for sharing this If you find any answers please let me know. http://findinghappinessproject.com

• Posted

Same problem here. In my case, and may be yours, it could very well be a build up of gas. I had heart palpitations really bad today, I made myself burp as many times as I could and the palpitations went away.

Please try it and let me know.

• Edited

Welcome to the club!!!

This started happening to me since March 9!

I went through a heart monitor, ECG, 3 chest x rays, 3 emergency room visits just to tell me everything looks normal and it's anxiety.

I'M A VERY calm person. I don't get anxious and I don't worry about to much of anything lol.

I was really nervous when it was happening though because the first night my heart was racing, followed by all day next day pain in chest and then my whole entire body was shaking. Since then I've only had the heaviness when breathing and when I'm sitting my heart feels like its racing and my heart rate is like 75-83... which is normal for me. Only happens at night time. randomly during the day for like 2-3 mins (rarely) Feels like i get winded easily too when working out. My body doesn't feel right and thats probably the most annoying part. Just feel kinda off. I also can't drink caffeine or liquor anymore either. Its super frustrating to be told its anxiety when you're a calm person who is chill 99% of the time lol. Since night time is the worst i take .5 of a anxiety meds so I don't wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.