Heartburn all day

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had heartburn all day and isnt going. On esomeprazole 20mg twice a day. Tried gavison advanced but still there. Waiting for a scan for gallbladder/pancreas. Had barium swallow 18 months ago and reflux quite bad.and came up quite far. Had real burning in the abdomen 10 days ago and doc changed me to omeprazole. Buring more or less gone but heartburn dreadful. Any ideas how to calm it down?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try stop eating things that cause heartburn, specially bread.
    • Posted

Thanks but have cut out lots of food. All I had  today was porridge made with water and picked at a baked potato. Rarely eat bread, nothing fatty, no chips pasta tea coffee chocolate biscuits cake. Survive on porridge baked potatoes and eggs
    • Posted

Porridge is good, not sure why you still get heartburn. You can also try boiled checken.
  • Posted

Pills wont work. Manage your stress for recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks and I think you are right. I think I am so stressed by the heartburn that its prolonging it. I am so worried about it that I stress over everything I eat.

• Posted

John, Is it really true that stress causes this stomach problems?  I just can't correlate why you would get diahrea or stomach pains from worry.  I know alot of people say it is the cause but I just don't know why.  Thanks if you have any comments.  I would appreciate it.
  • Posted

The key to getting this under control is to prevent the damage that occurs while you sleep.  That's when stress causes the stomach to make acid, even though its empty.  There is an old video of a guy who made acid while sleeping.  They put a tube into stomach and while he slept acid was oozing out the tube into a pan.  Very gross.  Start with inclining your bed as much as you can handle.  Plus, use a 4 inch wedge.  Gaviscon before bed is okay.   Remember, "if you burn while you sleep, you'll burn all day."   I don't really believe in eliminating one food after another.  Eventually, you will get nutritional deficiencies. When Thomas Edison started having digestive problems he started eliminating foods and eventually was only drinking milk.  He soon became very ill and died.   Try eating a reasonable mild diet.  A small amount of chicken or fish with lightly steamed vegitables and brown rice.  A Porridge and omeprazole diet is not reasonable.    I hope you are feeling better soon.  John
  • Posted

Also, because of the shape of the stomach, if you sleep on your side, it is best to sleep on your left side.  You will notice that on your left side, it is possible to burp air.  On the right side, liquid will come up.  Let me know if this helps.  John
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your advice. I sleep really propped up and on my back but when I do sleep on my side its my right side. Will definately try the left now.
    • Posted

Not really, it's the other way around, sleeping on the right side will minimise acid. Also notice when you get an endoscopy they make you lay on your left side because it makes it easier for the camera to pass through, which means acids can also easily come right up. Also, stomach contents will not get digested if you sleep on your left. The best position I found after years of trying is to sleep on your right-back, so not totally on your right, but slightly on your back.
    • Posted

Please do a google search on "stomach".  You will see that the right side is the wrong side when sleeping.  Sorry Samuelson, look it up.
    • Posted

If you sleep on your right then the bile and food can pass on to the duodenum and then to the intestines, but if you sleep on your left then the acids will keep accumilating near the cardia (where the contents of the esophagus empty into the stomach).
  • Posted

Hi all,

I have deleted the pasted articles and replaced one with the direct link as users can then read the article in full and link through to references etc. Do not paste whole articles from other sites as this may breach copyright. You can post links and as long as they comply with T&Cs they will be approved. Also, do not turn the discussion into a debate, I have deleted a couple of argumentative comments. If you wish to discuss this topic in detail start a new discussion about sleeping positions for reflux or similar.

From reading this the info for the original poster seems to be try different positions to find which is best for them.

Regards,

Alan 

Emis Moderator

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.