Heat flashes and migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Ladies!

I haven't been on this forum in a while. I hope you all are coping as best you can with your symptoms.

I have been post menopausal for one year now and it seems that my symptoms are worst. I had hoped that after my periods ceased that my symptoms would lessen.

Yesterday at church, while singing in the choir, I had a migraine flare up. I felt very weak and lightheaded. Thankfully I didn't pass out in front of everyone. I was able to muddle through and make it home. My migraine was triggered by heat flashes. Anyone ever have migraines associated with heat flashes? How long after menopause do the symptoms of menopause start to dissipate? I was hoping I'd be on the other side of all this by now.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Hello, I am 50 years old this year and my health has been very stable for many years. Last year I did not have a period for 5 months but at that time I still had no symptoms, after that I got my period again. Twice, in one night while I was sleeping my body felt like I was being electrocuted and my heart was beating fast and then I was completely exhausted, I woke up and was very scared, after that horrible night until now. Now I have to face every day with a weak body, headaches, dizziness, exhaustion, hot flashes, heart palpitations, not a single bit of energy left in my body, all of which has been done. I have very severe depression, I used to be an active woman in every job but now I have to quit my job and can't do anything, I cry every day and don't know if I can get through this period. this horrible episode, every day feels like living in hell for me, this feeling is so cruel 😢😢😢😢😢😢😭😭😢😭😭😭😭😭

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are experiencing all of this. This is usually a very uncertain time for us women regarding our health, careers, relationships and if you're a mother, then it even affects how we parent them. I started with pre menopause right after my second child at age 39. I am now 50 years old, just turned 50 last month. My kids are school-age. (age 14 and 10 respectively) I am one year post menopausal. I can't tell you that it will be easy. Some days I feel like just giving up but I am encouraged by the fact that I know God is with me and that it will not always be like this. I have heard the other women on this forum say that it does get better and that things do settle down eventually. Hold on and try to find relaxation techniques that you can use to destress at the end of your day. Take care. Hugs to you, dear.

Xx

• Posted

I am really touched and thank you for replying to me, it is really difficult to overcome these evil symptoms of premenopause, I have been living in the dark for nearly 4 months, I feel like I am I'm no longer myself, every day I wake up with a feeling of fear and no energy to do anything, I'm so tired and so tired, this feeling is so scary, I didn't know that I can continue through the days with a weak body, I am completely devastated 😢😢. Let me give you a big hug

• Posted

I really thank you for replying to me, my mood has been very bad for the past four months, I live in fear and don't know if these symptoms will kill me, I see my life I am now very miserable every day, recently I lost my father in a car accident, that was the time when my spirit completely collapsed, and then my mother had to be hospitalized for kidney surgery. , everything makes my life no longer peaceful because of the obsession of seeing my father die in my arms, now every day I have to live in the darkness with a premenopausal disease. It's so scary, I'm completely helpless and don't know if I can get through it, please let me hug you tightly so I don't feel alone in my heart.

• Posted

Sometimes stress and trauma can intensify symptoms and in some cases are the very trigger which causes the onset of these symptoms.

I am so sorry to hear about your parents, in particular the passing of your father. Have you considered getting some grief counseling? Talking to someone can help you navigate through this difficult process better. Don't ever give up. No matter how hard life gets. If you don't feel comfortable going to counseling then try prayer or meditation or you can write in a journal all your thoughts and feelings. You need to get those feelings out of your head because letting them ruminate in your mind like that is maddening all by itself. I am going to keep you in my prayers. Prayer does work. Take care. Sending hugs back to you. 🤗

• Edited

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. These sound very similar to the symptoms I've been having. About three months ago, I had one dizzy spell that lasted for no more than 5 to 10 seconds. I blew it off as something miniscule and continued on my day. Over the last three months I’ve had sporadic dizzy episodes here and there (maybe 4 at the most), but only lasting a few seconds at a time. I started having hot flashes every night at least 6 to 10 times a night starting about 3 to 4 weeks ago (pretty much anytime I roll over in bed triggers a hot flash). The dizziness has started daily from the minute I wake up until the minute I go to bed for the last couple of weeks, along with headaches off and on. The dizziness is odd in the fact that it doesn’t cause me to lose my balance, or keep me from doing daily activities, but makes me feel like I could lose my balance…with any little disruption in my path... if that makes sense. Last night was the first night I woke up from a headache in the back of my head, which was worse laying down . My vision is off from the dizziness and headaches. Of course, my mind is racing thinking this is something more sinister. Currently, waiting for a Brain MRI. This whole thing just makes me feel weak and unwell.

All this to say...I empathize. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I never thought that my life would become as bad as it is now, it is very difficult to get over it when I have to live every day with a body that has no energy, not even the slightest bit of energy, I am depressed. and don't want to see anyone, can't sleep well at night, always find myself walking unsteadily, having terrible headaches, I haven't been able to drive to work for 4 months, I feel like I'm going crazy, every day I live With a sad mood, I was completely exhausted ,

• Edited

That sounds awful. I often wonder if this is chronic fatigue returning for me. I had chronic fatigue for a year approximately four years ago, which was all of the same symptoms. Hard to know what’s what. Either way, I completely understand what it feels like to feel like there’s no end. If this is chronic fatigue again… Or whatever it is… I sure hope it passes soon and it’s not another relapse that lasts another year. Not a fun way to live, but still so many things I want to live for. Going to be a grandma times two this year and the thought of not being there for either of them concerns me. Curious, have you sought out anyone in the alternative health or functional medicine field? I used alternative medicine to clear my first round of chronic fatigue and I’m sure it can help with hormone issues, as well. So, I might be headed to that if this doesn’t let up soon and all tests continue to show normal.

• Posted

2 months ago my family doctor sent me to a Gynecologist for help, after examination and all the final tests she told me my hormones were very low and I was in perimenopause, I cried a lot to her and begged her to use anything to help me, finally I was given a prescription for progesterone 100MG to take at night and estradiol patch , I have been using it since January 26, 2024 but until now I have not seen any results, I really don't want to have to use this HRT treatment but I have no other choice, I don't want to Every day I wake up with a feeling of fear and crisis with an exhausted body. I look forward to every day that HRT can help me return to a more stable health. I really don't know how long this HRT will take. got results but this is my last hope at the moment, it's so scary to live with the symptoms that make me think I have to die

• Edited

I too deal with migraines and hot flashes. I honestly wish I could give you encouragement on this difficult time in life, but after almost 12 years post menopause, this past year has by far been my worst year yet. I have had symptoms for almost 15 years, but I managed to keep control and continue on. Fast forward to last year and it seems like I have bottomed out and can not get anything back in control. I too was always lead to think things would settle down once the periods stopped, not so for me. I am 60 years old and could have never imagined as a younger woman I would still be having menopause symptoms. I am sorry for you that you are going through this and hope your journey will not be as long as mine has been. Prayers for you.

GOD Bless

• Posted

Wow, I had no idea symptoms could still go on that long after menopause! I do remember a friend of my mother's who, at the time, was 88 years old still having hot flashes. A nurse practioner whose area of medicine was gynecology told me that after menopause you do still get symptoms but some taper off while others linger. She said that the ones that linger will just be on the milder side. I wonder where she got that from? My symptoms have gotten exponentially worse in some cases. Grant it, there are some that have disappeared but there are definitely others that have magnified in intensity. I hope things get better for you soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.