Heat Intolerance

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Do any of you have an intolerance to heat since you started having peri/Menopause Symptoms? I cannot tolerate extreme heat indices. I live in New York and in the summer it can get really cooking here with the heat. When I go out I start experiencing anxiety because I'm afraid I'm going to pass out although this has never happened. I feel weird and start feeling funny sensations in my head. I don't feel any relief until I'm indoors with a cool fan or AC. Anyone else have this reaction to the heat?

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I'm in the heat I get dizzy and I start getting hot faced and like a few has said I start getting anxiety over it out of nowhere. I have high BP and on meds as well never had that til I started going through the change I think the anxiety hits me cause I can't escape the heat inside of my body. My worst times is during cycle and ovulation week which I never really have a break at all

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Yes, I didn't need BP meds until peri started and ever since I've been on these meds I have a reaction to the heat. One day I nearly passed out. I felt so weak and lightheaded that I had to get inside out of the heat and into some cool air fast. It was so scary.

• Posted

Yes,  I only started experiencing this recently and I am 59.  Can't stand this heat ans humidity!!!!

• Posted

I live in central Texas and gets gets very hot here in the summer. I've never really enjoyed the extreme heat of July and August but it never stopped me from doing things before. Last summer I was feeling too sick to do much of anything, so I didn't go out except to Dr appointments or early morning walks to burn off anxiety. This summer, I feel much better but the heat is really bothering me! I can no longer go for my long walks and even sitting outside in the shade feels miserable and I can't tolerate it for long. I get so hot so fast and start sweating all over! Then, I'll get extremely tired- like I've just done a whole afternoon of yard work in the heat! Sometimes I feel like I'm having difficulty getting a full breath of air. I've decided to stop chastising myself for not being able to tolerate the heat and therefore I'm doing no real exercise. I've always been fit and exercised regularly, so this part of it is really hard for me. ** I also have a frozen shoulder which makes it impossible for me to do any type strength training with my upper body and I found out the hard way even running bleachers or box jumps require a mobile shoulder. So I'm stuck doing calf presses and lunges inside with air conditioning. I can't wait for cooler weather! In Austin, that could be the end of September- mid October! 

• Posted

Hi Audra,

Thanks for responding. Here in NY, we have to wait until almost November until the warm weather really breaks. It can be in the 70's still through October.

• Posted

I live in Atlantic Canada, this summer we had a heat wave for over a month, it was around 40 degrees Celsius with humidity. I could only go outside if I was swimming, had to get my son to tend to the garden. Had a cooler week last week, but this week the tempature has gone back up.

I agree the heat makes me feel dizzy and sick and even cranky. It's like Im stuck in a hot flash that never ends.

I'm sure I'm the only one that can't wait until October air hits, heck Im looking forward to snow.

• Posted

Well I'm sure New York city was bad, at least here we have open spaces so we can catch a breeze here and there.

• Posted

We live in the Deep South so heat is all o have ever known and I hate the cold!! My daughter has dysautonomia that is an electrolyte imbalance issues causing  heat intolerance. There are several different blends of powder to mix and drink along with natural recipes with fruit. Yes, hormones may be the initial cause but other methods may help lessen the symptoms. 
  • Posted

I had this when Peri kicked in 11 years ago I would get in the car and have to go back in and literally change clothes as could not even stand a pair of jeans . Since moved to a cooler climate and it’s so much better. 
  • Posted

Just today I was standing in line in the full sun-I’m in Southern California-and it wasn’t super hot but warm. But the heat just overwhelmed me. And I started sweating profusely and though I might have a panic attack! I had to really concentrate to calm myself down internally so my friend had no idea! Ugh. This is def a new thing for me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.