Heavy Drinking Everyday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum and hope I can get some advice how to lower my Alcohol intake.

I drink about 15-20 units a day now – I’ve been drinking like this for about 3 years. I know that’s really high! I wake up every morning and say to myself I’ll stop but always fail. I’m so ashamed of myself right now and it’s damaging my relationship of 17 years too. I work from home, so it is all too easy for me to drink throughout the day.

Any advice how I should go about stopping? Had a blood test last year and my Liver function was slightly abnormal but nothing to much they were concerned about.  I really really want to stop this now.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Ken

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Drinking is easy when you are at home!! I was unemployed, my wife was working and BORED...let us have another drink..and another one and another one...then hiding them and scared of not finding them next day...worse and wrose...long story short had to stop completely 4 1/2 yrs ago and did it....seek advice here by others as well...I suggest the Sinclair Method since many here have been VERY happy with it...best of luck and WELCOME to this BRILLIANT forum...Robin
    • Posted

Thanks Robin. I've just turned 37 and to be honest i would go 6 months plus without a drink before this cycle started. It's just become a really really bad habit.

Thanks again for the reply smile

• Posted

What's the longest you've gone without a drink lately? I'm just wondering if you are showing signs of physical dependency. I'm 38 and was consuming around 20 shots a day. With the help of this forum and TSM I have cut down to an average of about 3 a day with days of abstinence. Believe me it can be done

• Posted

Thanks for the reply smile Well over a year ago sad I'm deffo dependant sad I really hope I can smash it. I really have had enough! I suppose this is a good step admitting I've got an issue.

• Posted

amazing result I71207. Truly fantastic to move from 20 per day to 3. You deserve a medal for certian. Keep it up and see how Kenboon admires you as indeed we do!! Regards Robin
    • Posted

I agree that is one hell of an achievement. Sorry I didn’t praise you because you certainly deserve it!

Very quick question guys. So am I in the danger zone do you think? I’ve read that if alcoholics just stop, they can die? I don’t get the shakes or anything ATM.

• Posted

Have you gone longer than 8hrs without a drink?
    • Posted

Thank you. This is the kind of support that helped me get through my trails and help so many others.
    • Posted

Hi, I can stop drinking at 10 pm but then I tend to start at about 8am. I'd say I'm more mental dependant as I don't get sweats or shakes etc but I do want a fix of sorts. I'm quite ashamed just writing that! My Dads always been a big drinker and my Grandad too (his dad) I always slated him for it and now I've become the same person of sorts sad I've got a 4 year old lad and I don't want him going the same route and I'd like to see him grow up. So I want to address the issue now before it's too late.

• Posted

It is great of you that you see the problem and that you're trying to do something about it. Not getting the shakes is a good sign but you really need to give yourself more than 10 hours to see if you get any withdrawal symptoms. Just to make sure. For myself I've been heavily drinking for easily over 10 years so at the very end I needed a drink as soon as I woke up and all throughout the day and then a large amount at night just to get some sleep. I even unfortunately was drinking at work because the withdrawals were so bad sometimes I couldn't even go a few hours. Obviously you are not at that State and that is very good. Definitely look up the medication Naltrexone. That is what I used with the Sinclair method

• Posted

Thanks for that! Are you based in the UK? I went to the DR's and they put me on to a councillor. But she was very unreliable! In fact she stopped answering me back. I've also been trying to get in to the DRs now for 2 weeks............ Thanks VERY much for your reply. And again you should be really proud of yourself. 10 Years hard drinking and you've reigned it in! I'm hoping I can reign it in too.

• Posted

I know you can. My wife did help a lot. We've been married 12yrs and she stuck with me through all the horrible stuff. It's great your trying to change for your son as well. We are currently trying to have our first while looking for our first house. No, I'm a Californian who just moved to Washington last year. From all I've seen on these forums its way easier to get the help you need in the states than over there. ADEfree on this forum helped me to find a doctor in my state and it took only one visit to get a prescription. My insurance even covers most of it. It's $10 a month. There should be someone on here soon who can help you find something in your area. To start myself i counted the amount of drinks I had in a day then tried to lessen it by one drink every few days to try to taper myself until I got medication.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Sounds daft but do you have a new habit? A lot of it for me is boredom I think? It's just a bad bad habit ATM

• Posted

Maybe it will be easier to break your spell if thats what you think it is. My new habits would have to be hiking and working out. Both take a good amount of time and make you healthier. Which you definitely need to watch out with over drinking.
    • Posted

Well that's a great tip bud. And again thanks so much for the replies and well done for what you have achieved! Monday is a new start for me! 10 units max a day and I'll try to work out.

• Posted

Good luck and keep posting. Everyone is here to help and support.
    • Posted

You have set my bar bud! Thanks for the input guys X
    • Posted

That is what I did first - from 20 to 10 - then slowly one less each night - it blooming welll works bud - tellin ya.  And then you find, well two actually does it for me.  Only reason I have a bottle Sat/Sun is to sleep - but I am aiming at dropping that as well.  I feel soooooo much better......G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.