Heavy Drinking Everyday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum and hope I can get some advice how to lower my Alcohol intake.

I drink about 15-20 units a day now – I’ve been drinking like this for about 3 years. I know that’s really high! I wake up every morning and say to myself I’ll stop but always fail. I’m so ashamed of myself right now and it’s damaging my relationship of 17 years too. I work from home, so it is all too easy for me to drink throughout the day.

Any advice how I should go about stopping? Had a blood test last year and my Liver function was slightly abnormal but nothing to much they were concerned about.  I really really want to stop this now.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Ken

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi and welcome.  Same old same old - which is me - know how you are feeling - feels fine during the evening - come morning - you hate yourself.  I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a night for the last 6 months and then came on here.  I am down to 2 small glasses Monday to Friday - Saturday/Sunday I have a bottle each night - I need that to sleep.  Not happy with sleepy pills!!  I have been doing this for a few months now.  No cold turkey - just gently dropped down.  I can honestly say I have had no side effects doing it this way.  Maybe a feeling of tiredness in the first few days - but no shakes or hallucinations - just felt much more alert and 'back in the room.'  I know for some this does not work - but it has for me.

You have  joined the right group.  Stay with us.......................G.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! It really is appreciated! I'm really going to try next week! New start and all that! I may need some help lol X

• Posted

Hi Gwen. I'm impressed that you can drop down so methodically and gently. (I'm also intrigued that a bottle helps you to sleep. That would give me glutamine rebound and wake me after a few hours leaving me unable to get back to sleep.) I'm a bit 'all or nothing'. I set 5 or 6 units as a limit but then fancy one more. Which becomes two more etc. I've isolated that as the main cause of too many units in a week. Dry days are not too difficult and sometimes I have a pint in the week and that is that. Once I eat dinner I don't want another drink. As long as the one pint stays one (or one and a half) then I'm alright and the odd weekday like that doesn't do much to the weekly total. That is put up too high with week-end binges. Only takes a couple.

• Posted

I'm doing well lthis way.  When I have 2 units nightly I get 1 1/2 hours sleep.  Then toss and turn till I get up at 6.30am.  Weekend I have a bottle each night and get about 5-6 hours sleep - pure bliss for me.  I know for some alcohol stops them from sleeping but this is why I have failed so many times over the years, pure desperation for zzzzzzzzzz's.

We just have to go with our bodies requirements.

• Posted

Interesting. This supports what is said about alcohol affecting each individual differently.
    • Posted

always tricky forGwen...you drink less and sleep poorly because you do not drink enough....but well done in trying so hard. We admire you...Robin
    • Posted

Thanx Robin - yes I am chuffed to have got this far - albeit zombified weekdays - but worth it to feel I have no alcohol sludging thru my body next day,
    • Posted

any news KenBoon?? what are your plans?? All looking good?? I went to the cinema...new War of the planet of the Apes and GREAT..did not expect it to be that nice...anything outside or away from temptation....pls let us know and best of luck....Robin
    • Posted

Bless ya - thanks for following it up smile

Had a binge yesterday. First time in a while the room was spinning and I felt ill! New start on Monday 100%! I've also signed up to my Martial Arts from next week too. Still had a few this morning sad I need to break the habit!

• Posted

Are you making sure to eat right and drink lots of water? If your drinking throughout the day your body won't be able to obsorbe the right amount of vitamins.

• Posted

Honestly, I only drink Beer atm! I don't eat right either to be honest.

• Posted

I think I'm getting most of my calories from the Beer ATM so not always hungry. It's affecting my sleep too big time.

• Posted

Thanks so mush for your help guys. Hope I can turn this around!
    • Posted

Yes you can - I have and feel and look much beter.  Martial Arts is the start of your journey.  No point getting fit and manly with too much booze sloshing away inside - give your the body the push in the right direction.  I can promise you you will see brilliant results.
    • Posted

Thanks smile I'm going to really try and sort myself out this next week! Thanks to all for the input. I will keep you updated smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.