Heavy Drinking Everyday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum and hope I can get some advice how to lower my Alcohol intake.

I drink about 15-20 units a day now – I’ve been drinking like this for about 3 years. I know that’s really high! I wake up every morning and say to myself I’ll stop but always fail. I’m so ashamed of myself right now and it’s damaging my relationship of 17 years too. I work from home, so it is all too easy for me to drink throughout the day.

Any advice how I should go about stopping? Had a blood test last year and my Liver function was slightly abnormal but nothing to much they were concerned about.  I really really want to stop this now.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Ken

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yesterday I had 13.5 units only. I reckon I was deffo averaging more like 20 a day if I'm honest with myself. I stopped purposely drinking at 7pm last night. It's almost 7am now - so almost done 12 hours. Feel a bit odd if I'm honest. Bit twitchy and my heads a bit fuzzy!

• Posted

Aiming for 10 ish today only. Do you think it's safe to reduce like this?

• Posted

That is how I did it.  I was on 20 then came down slowly.  Felt good when I got into single figures and then down more till 2 units through the week.  Side effect for me at first was a bit dizzy and foggy headed, then that passed and I feel like I have a new lease of life.  Back to jumping in the car and going for a drive (could not before as 20 units  would be in my system all next day). 

You are on the right track.   Good on you.

• Posted

Thanks Gwen. That's exactly how I felt! Was very odd. I have had a Can this morning to ease it. But on track!

• Posted

I also remember one day when I went for a Kinesiology therapy session which is five mins walk from my house and I got lost of the way back (I have lived here for over 35 years)!  My brain was all over the place.  But it does all pass as the weeks go by and is so worth it. 

You are off and running and we all help each other.

Good job bud.

• Posted

13.5 units is more than the recommended weekly amount!

If you're used to 20 units daily, then that's a lot to cut down to. Only my opinion, but don't taper down too quickly, otherwise you may find yourself suffering from alcohol withdrawal.

By tapering too quickly, you also run the risk of feeling dreadful,  which can 

then tempt you to drink more.

You say after 12 hours you feel a bit odd, a bit twitchy and your heads a bit fuzzy. 12 hours is not that long, so you need to be mindful of withdrawal.

I don't want to dismiss your achievement in cutting down, but just make you aware of what could happen

• Posted

"I have had a can this morning to ease it"

?To ease what? Personally I think you're tapering too quickly, and the fact you've had to have a drink this morning suggests that

I feel really bad saying this, but to aim for 10 units today, half what you've been used to is, to me anyway, too quick

I'm sure others will disagree, but looking at my numerous attempts years ago, none worked as I wanted to 'run before I could walk!'

?Take care and keep posting

• Posted

Yes, that is when I had my "memory loss and how to get home" - less than 10 mins from my house.  I had dropped straight down from 20 to 10 thinking that was the way forward.  After that I did a couple of units each few nights and things were so much better.  Now on 2 Monday to Friday.

• Posted

Yep Gwen, do it too quickly and end up worse than before.

Better to take a month really slowly, than a week too quickly and achieve nothing

• Posted

Yes vicks - it was a case of rushing to prove I could.  It might seem frustrating to go slowly but that way works if you can do it.

G.

• Posted

Looking much better now Gwen. How is your weekend shaping up? Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin, good weekend - lunchtime here and am making a rhubard crumble whilst smelling a lovely lamb roast on the go.  Love Sunday lunch.  Sunny day too - happy days smile smile smile  Trust you are fam are good.
    • Posted

All is well here and thanks for asking. How are you coping? Gradually drinking less. Sticking to the plan? Rgds Robin
    • Posted

Coping ok - confess to a couple of blips - which is annoying but back in the saddle next day.....G.
    • Posted

Seems great to me. Do not worry about slipups. Move forward. The future counts, not the past. You can do it. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.