Hello

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was on Toprol 50MG for My Blood Pressure, I was on it for a month or so and it was not helping so I stopped taking it, the next couple days My Heart rate is up from 110-120 and My BP Went today 8 hours ago from 118/79 to 8 hours later 146/118! What the heck is going on?!

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Mark,  Toprol falls under the category of beta-blocker..  you must be weened off a beta-blocker and not stop abruptly.. I hope your doctor  knows you stoped.. It can cause elevation in blood pressure and also beta-blockers slow down the heart.. May I suggest you contact your physician.. the side effects of beta-blockers are not pleasant so I'm assuring that is why you stopped..Please contact your health professional  immediately..

• Posted

Hi, Mark, Toprol is the brand name for metoprolol,  it is a beta blocker, i think, see the betablocker discussion group here.  It can be unwise to stop these without weaning yourself off them with a doctor's support, has your doctor advised this? Please read your patient info leaflet, my own experience suggests even a relatively slow wean off can lead to problems, , the rebound pulse and blood pressure were  the least of my problems, though with your only using Toprol for a month, i can only suggest you discuss everything on your patient info leaflet, and anything else re your medication online with your doctor, esp Warnings, it could be that it would be an idea to restart at a lower dose then wean off gradually, but it is essential you get a doctor's advice - these are very heavy duty drugs.  were you prescribed them only for blood pressure, and had you tried the more common meds first?

• Posted

yeah I was perscribed them first actually, I stopped them because I had nightmares and constant wakings up from them, I already had insomnia so it made it worse...I cant see my Dr till the 31st, SO I decided to start taking the Pill again at least till I see him, sadly I cannot see him before that as hes busy
    • Posted

Hi, Mark, i would still ring your doctor and insist on a phone call, i googled Toprol/Metoprolol and nightmares  out of interest as i was also on a lipophilic bb (i.e. one easily absorbed into the brain) and had lots of difficulties. There were quite a few websites mentioning this side effect, even some research on actual visual hallucinations.   If you are sensitive to Toprol, and could be at risk of something like that i do think your GP should treat you as a priority, prob best to also speak to a pharmacist. 
    • Posted

I can try, also I am on zyrtec for allergys and coughing, I heard that can conflict with high BP and make it worse, not sure thats the case here
    • Posted

Best to ask your pharmacist about that and look at patient leaflet. Re allergies, I get a number (but dont take meds) -  i found that all of them got a lot worse on the Betablocker, and then noticed there was a note at the very end of my patient leaflet warning of this, i had not noticed it
  • Posted

Agree with the other posters, you MUST NOT STOP taking some tablets without medical assistance, even very strong painkillers.

I have had experience of finding myself addicted to morphine after a major cancer surgery.

What a shock the same day discharged from hospital, stomach cramps, vomiting, and severe pain and headaches, after some hours back in hospital casulity dept I found out they decided i had an addication problem.

How and why I don't even think they understood how it could happen so quickly.

Was given a very slow STEP DOWN, all written out for me, so i could follow it carefully, over 6 weeks or so.

You may find yourself on the same STEP DOWN process to stop taking your nasty medication.

Not hard to follow, you just have to follow the process carefully and not deviate from it otherwise you can set yourself back to ground zero.

Have since had other surgery for hip replacements, and no problems with pain killers even though the Dr's and hospital staff feared i would have to go through the whole process all over again, but I was ready for it if neccessary.

• Posted

That's weird very scary with the bottom number being 118 I would definitely call Dr do you have anything for anxiety I know ER is a long long wait and they don't care what your blood pressure reads but go to urgent care in the daytime if you are driving I get scared because I don't drive and if mine goes out of control I can only call nine-one-one you could even do that but if you don't feel good that's my best advice is to call nine-one-one and tell them your blood pressure is out of control meds are not working and you don't feel right hope to hear from you with a solution to your problem soon 😕?💚💜

• Posted

Well a few hours later I took my BP again after I re started my Toprol, The top Number went up some but the bottom number at least came down, 160/95....I am thinking maybe I had a bad reaction to the zyrtec allergy medicine because early in the day my BP was 118/78 after I took the zyrtec and it shot up and my heart was racing 110-120bpm, I was taking zyrtec for 4 days now and almost all that time my pulse was elevated so I assume part of it was because of that

Also I have Bad insomnia, I had it for over 2 years now and it still SUCKS! So I know my High BP is from that too and sadly I cannot cantrol that aspect because sleep is difficult for me to get anymore and any sleep I get is broken and poor

• Posted

mark85393..you should NEVER arbitrarily stop taking your bp meds...NEVER!

Toprol is a beta blocker...& suddenly stopping can cause all sorts of problems, including racing heart. Beta blockers slow the heat, & also help to lower bp. 

Again, when you stop the meds suddenly, the bp rebounds.

Even though you thought the Toprol was not helping, you should have consulted with your Dr. He/she could have added something, or increased the dosage, but likely they would have added something. 

Remember this...& I'm only trying to help..."He who doctors himself has a fool for a patient".

• Posted

Also I have Been pretty lazy for years now, ever since My Insomnia started, I barley excersise so I assume that could cause my BP to rise as well, Im almost 38 too and my parents have a BP history
  • Posted

My Blood pressure not going down at all, took My Toprol yesterday and today and its doing nothing, I took my BP just now and its 155/102, I never had it this bad, I was on zyrtec for 4 days and noticed my puls going up, I stayed on it the 2 days I quit by BP med then everything went to hell, I re instated stayed of the zyrtec for over a day now and the BP refuses to go down at all, likley have a heart attack really soon, guess f its meant to happen its gunna
    • Posted

Zyrtec is a antihistamine for colds and hay fever and it is very very bad for high blood pressure the side effect is it will raise your blood pressure stay away from Zyrtec it is not for blood pressure stay on your Metropolol or Toprol and your blood pressure should go down if you have some anti-anxiety medicine that will help you but do not take the Zyrtec don't worry I think you will get better if you follow this advice if not ask your doctor or your pharmacist I think you will find out about the Zyrtec being bad for you

• Posted

Well I been off Zyrtec a day or more now so I would have hoped the BP would have subsided somewhat
    • Posted

I know this is risky but I have done it before take a little piece maybe a quarter of your Toprol and see if that brings it down a little bit I take Lisinopril which is different but they are both for blood pressure I have a friend that's on Metropolol and he has taken an extra piece when his pressure wouldn't go down just try it once hopefully you have a blood pressure monitor wait for hour or two after you take it to check your blood pressure

• Posted

If that works mark tell your doctor and maybe he will up your medicine a little bit and your blood pressure will be controlled and you will feel greatly at ease
    • Posted

Thats Just it, I took my Toplor 100MG at about 5pm, took my BP at about 9pm and it was what I said 155/102, and they just upped my strength....Don't know whats going on, I will probably try tomorrow to see if somehow I can talk to my Dr....Also I have Very Poor sleep or no sleep some nights, I have Had Insomnia since like End of 2014, so its probably taking a toll on me, that and my Parents both have High BP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.