Hello

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was on Toprol 50MG for My Blood Pressure, I was on it for a month or so and it was not helping so I stopped taking it, the next couple days My Heart rate is up from 110-120 and My BP Went today 8 hours ago from 118/79 to 8 hours later 146/118! What the heck is going on?!

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

First of all you don't mention what your BP was while you were on the Toprol,

and secondly it sounds like rebound elevations occurring after the Toprol was

no longer in your system.  Not knowing what your #s were during the time you

were on the Toprol makes it difficult to know for sure.  In any case, going off a

medicine, I'm assuming your physician didn't do this, and not replacing it with

another antihypertension medication is dangerous, because it can and usually

results in rebound hypertension.  I would go back to my doctor, if you haven't done

so already and inform him of the situation to prevent any complicatiions associated

with what you're experiencing.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

I thought I did, My BP the whole month on Toprol was 145/95 on average, so yeah it didnt work at all.
    • Posted

Sorry about that Mark, I missed some of your posts, they didn't come through for some reason, I only saw one and that was the one I responded to, neverless, as a previous poster commented, I think he said it all, you should never just stop taking any medicine, you should at the very least

notify your doc of your intention and the reason for doing so to avoid a

possible medical emergency, because you would be the one paying in the

end, no one else.  Were your bps high in the first place, I'm assuming they

were or you wouldn't have been put on any medicine.  Here in the U.S, it's common for many practitiioners to get the patient to reduce if he's overweight, cut out sodium or reduce it, but 145/95 (i think that was 1 of the readings you got while on the toprol, that's not all that elevated.  Excess weight can elevate pressure in some individuals anyway, and Zertec would never be approved by any doc in this country treating a

patient with hypertension.  Did your doc even know you were taking this

OTC med?  I would think not.  I don't know how often you check your BP,

but here in the states docs generally like their patients to check it 2 ot 3 times a week, anymore than that is discouraged because oftentimes a

person may anticipate that it's going to be elevated, and that mindset alone will elevate it everytime, thus making it harder in the long run for the

practitioner to manage.  I personally have had a lot of experience with hypertension, as I inherited it from my father who was diagnosed at 17. He

was skinny when he was diagnosed, so weight wasn't a factor.  Nevertheless, he died at 62 of a massive coronary due to longstanding

hypertension. He took his medicine when he felt like it, sometimes

not bothering to take it at all.  I, on the other hand wasn't treated medically for mine until I was 32, but I had high BP, by definition from the age of 28, and I wasn't overweight either.  I take 2 medicines now, I have heart failure from 3 heart attacks ( that I've had through the years) and you better believe hypertension played a part.  I have no blockages though, all my heart attacks were due to coronary artery vasospasms.  My vasospasms

were propabably stress related due to my occupation and other factors,

which I don't fully understand at this point.  I don't smoke (never have), I eat healthy and still get exercise, even with heart failure, because If I don't,

I will succumb that much sooner.  Have you been evaluated for sleep apnea?

• Posted

I think My Constant bad sleep and Insomnia is a part of it along with family history, 145/95 is Considered Stage 1 Hypertension I believe and it usually always stays that high or my higest I had was 162/105 one time at the dr, Im gunna be 38 in August
    • Posted

You're right, by medical definition that is stage 1, and in the U.S it's usually not treated with prescriptions at that stage, if they're are other contributing

factors, like obesity, smoking, poor diet, etc.,, especially if a person is young,

because none of these medicines are without side effects, and they know 

their patient will be on them for the rest of their life.  There is no cure for

essential hypertension, however if a person has malignant hypertension, 

then that's another matter.  A  lot more serious as well, because if they don't find the reason for that kind, you can die pretty quickly, no matter your age.  I was worked up for that initially, and I'm thankful I didn't have 

that kind, because it is a lot more serious.

• Posted

Your heart rate is high, and thats unusual with a beta blocker.  They usually lower your heart rate.
  • Posted

I have a Few other Questions, I was recently on Pamelor and Got off that as well, but I have been taking my BOP med again for the past 3 days, still no signs of lowering, Also Can Toprol make you drowsy? Seriously whenever I think I sleep every time I get up Im tired all throughout the day like I dont sleep at all!
    • Posted

Mark,   that's one  of the side effects of the drug it slows down the heart rate so you will feel tired.. I also take metoprolol and am tired all the time, the other part of this drug is concerned with the blood pressure and I have found it's not that good at bringing down the bp..

• Posted

my bp is alittle better, 139/94.....was like 160/100 yesterday, lets hope it continues, I been of the zyrtec stuff for 2 days now....Also my Heart rate never does down even with the drug, it stays from 95-100bpm most of the time now, They say 70-100 is about average so Im near it
    • Posted

Don't they prescribe Bystolic over in the UK?  I've been taking that for 3 years now, and even with stage 3 heart failure (63) I'm not tired, unless

you're confusing tired with feeling fatigued.  Now, I do feel fatigued, but 

I would expect that with an uncorrected heart defect combined with heart

failure.  Bystolic is a third generation beta blocker, and it's quite an improvement over metoprolol.  I took that for a long time, it lowered by

BP nicely, but I was always looking for a chair to sit down.  I sit now, but

not nearly as much as back then, and I'm older now, so I definitely would

never go back to the older generation beta blocker.  I'll pay more, it's worth

it.

• Posted

Hi Scotgal... I'm in the U.S.   I've tried to get off metoprolol a few months back, the doctor prescribed Bystolic/Hrtz... it was awful and I had to go back to metoprolol.. for some reason I can not take hrtz.. a water pill doesn't work for me..

• Posted

ann c.04098...there are other diurtetics besides hrtz. Ask your Dr. about Adapamide..it's an excellent quality diuretic. 

Metropolol as you know is a beta blocker, & beta blockers cannot be abruptly stopped. Weaning is necessary. 

• Posted

Thanks Mike, yes I know beat blockers can not be stopped.. this was a combination.. also have been on other "water" pills.. they do not work for me..smile

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I take just plain Bystolic without the thiazide, because I also take Valsartan, and that is combined with a thiazide.  I would'nt even be takinging any thiazide, but because of the heart failure I'd be taking on water like a sinking ship if I didn't.  I also take a pretty powerful newer

generation loop diaretic once a week called torsemide.  Back in the day

when I took metoprolol I did notice a slight difference between the tartrate

formulation and the succinate formulation.  They reduced my heart rate

so much I couldn't even get to 80% of my target rate.  Bystolic also reduces the heart rate, but you don't want a faster heart rate anyway with

heart failure, you won't last as long as you would with a slower heart rate.

If I live long enough I'll probably end up with an LVAD, because I definitely

couldn't afford a transplant.

• Posted

Well My Cough and Hacking at night is back, seems maybe all the zertec I took wore off, now Im having yet another night of cant sleep because of it! I have the Generic Brand nose spray Flonase, is that safe to take with high BP or no?
    • Posted

What are you allergic to Mike?  Maybe you should look into purchasing

an air cleaner.  I'm not sure if Flonase conflicts with BPmeds, but I'll check

into it for you.  Can you purchase Claratin (sp), I used to take that a while

back and that is compatible with some BP meds.

• Posted

Mike,

According to a legitimate online drug side effects site, there are no known

interactions when taking Flonase and beta blockers, but they also add that

doesn't mean there couldn't be, they're just not aware of any that would have been reported.  Hope that's of some help to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.