Hello

Posted , 7 users are following.

What foods are good to eat with IBS-c I have food map to help but seems a lot I try hurts and goes for days into a week. I very new to it.  So any info will help. I used to weigh 135lbs now I'm 108.3lbs. I don't like that and brings my depression up higher.  So any help on wieght gain that's safe to eat let me know and meals.  Rice ,cracker, plan noodles get boring after awhile. 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dom,

Sorry to hear that. I have IBS d and I follow a gluten free diet and gave up cows milk and eggs. I eat br rice sweet potatoes gf pasta and veggies on FODMAP  all proteins and FODMAP fruits.  Try Expresso!! That might get your gut going... good luck

D

• Posted

I can't have caffeine dairy products. I eat yogurt strawberry mare from yoplat light .. I eat uncle Ben rice. Nature promise sauce on my pasta .. I do take benifiber I just need meal ideas. The snacks get old and can't gain I try to look for protein bars. But most made with chocolate which I can't have. Only drinks I have is water 

• Posted

Don,

Have you tried alm milk.  I get organic alm milk with 10 G protein. Also you can spiralize zucchini and butternut squash and have it with a protein. What happens to you if you eat dark choc? Also quinoa with veggies also very good lots of protein. Also sardines tuna and diff fishes. Also Spinach sautéed with Jake adding different spices. You should focus on increasing muscle mass. Not so much on just weight. What about trying protein powders!

• Posted

If you have IBS c you don't need to eat a plain diet. And you shouldnt be losing weight. Are you just not eating? Try increasing the size of your portions. Are you doing fodmap on your own or with a dietician? Because there are tonnes you can eat on that diet

• Posted

I see a nutritionist on September 20th to help with food. I do eat small portions but mostly snack on stuff. I don't eat a lot cuz most of the time eat to much like every hour I hurt later on that day.  I do take medicine that my doctor prescribed me.. almond milk doesn't agree with me I'm also lactose .. never tryed dark chocolate .. what types of fluids can I drink besides water. ? And is Nature promise stuff ok to eat.  ? I notice to many crackers hurts my stomach.  Yea I been losing weight guess not eating enough . I take muilti vitamins everyday 

• Posted

Low FODMAP diet doesn't help with constipation, in fact it might make it worse as it can be quite low fibre. Is the main thing you are trying to solve the pain and constipation? The constipation is probably causing the pain, so get that sorted. Take a gentle laxative daily.

And you need to eat more. You don't have to eat more often, just slowly increase portions.

• Posted

See I don't have much of a appetite to eat. I don't feel hungry till I start munching on something.  Doctor told me to eat high fiber foods to help movements.   

• Posted

Eh? My dietitian says they do,  have tried lots of different things for ibsc,  but low FODMAP sorted my ibs better than anything! 
    • Posted

Yes but if you have IBS then high fibre can make constipation and cramping worse. You need soluble fibre.
    • Posted

Glad it worked for you. For some people it makes the constipation worse. FODMAP often has more of an effect on bloating and diarrhoea
    • Posted

Agree but that's what I mean.  It's what I have. 

• Posted

What you mean Soluble fiber? Like organic foods ? I'm sorry I'm clueless on this I do appreciate all the info. 

• Posted

High fibre makes my constipation and cramping much better.  If I cut it out, I get a lot worse.
    • Posted

google it. things like boiled potato, oats, cooked pureed veg, white bread. they are things that turn to soft gel in your intestines, rather than things like bran, wholemeal foods, stringy veg - things that are traditionally recommended as high fibre
    • Posted

I eat carrots cooked glazed with olive oil.  Bread hurts my stomach so I stoped that. Yogurt light yoplat kind I eat rice pasta that's gluten free broccoli hurts my guts .. I eat Breakfast bars that are made with oats and peanut butter .. I eat chicken here and there not much of it. Not a big meat eater  potatoes I do once in awhile but looking for more things to have. I do it just not enough and I lose weight  drink water but that gets boring to don't know what else to drink.    

• Posted

Hence the reason why doctors still can get to grips with IBS.
    • Posted

Yup. That and the fact that true IBS is a FUNCTIONAL disorder. It's not something that can be solved by pills to mask the symptoms.( though they help with everyday life of course)

• Posted

You can drink anything you like. To avoid bloating don't drink fizzy drinks. Part of the cause of your constipation is probably that you're not eaating enough.

• Posted

I took a lot of Buscopan with me on holiday with me not expecting to use much of it. In the end I used the lot because I had quite a few flare ups.
    • Posted

Sorry dom if we've confused you ask your dietitian they're experts, what they should do is help you to tailor a diet that works for your ibs individually, hopefully they'll explain it all when you get there!

• Posted

I take  imipramine and omeprazole for IBS 
    • Posted

Can't you get it cheaper on prescription?  Buying it over the counter is more expensive.

• Posted

Buscopan is an anti spasmodic.

Omeprazole is a medication for excess acid. Is that why you're taking it?

• Posted

I do get it on prescription but my gp will only give me one box at a time, and it doesn't last long. The box has 56 tablets and that only lasts a week

• Posted

That's what they prescribed me and don't do anything for flare ups or pain    That other one yous talking about I'm going to say something to him about. The spasm is what kills my gut and always have discomfort everyday  .. do any of yous try peppermint in water to drink in the morning or before bed remedies?

• Posted

Imipramine is an antidepressant, sometimes they work for pain sometimes not. Omeprazole wont do a thing for ibs as thats not whsts its for so i dont know why you were given it. Buscopan or mebeverane would be better. Peppermint tea is good for bloating and cramps. As is heat.
    • Posted

I take Celexa for my depression and dapakote for bi polar yea I don't know why he gave me that or knows what it was for.  I'll say something about those 2 and I do agree they don't crap for me feel like a genie pig or a lab rat.    

• Posted

Ooh I've been waiting to talk to you! If Omeprazole isn't for ibs why was it the 1st thing I was given? Secondly ibs is different in every sufferer be careful what you say you're advice could misinterpreted,  wrong or make things worse.  For instance I absolutely can't have mint as my insides run,  lose bowels definitely.  Please be careful.  For needs professional guidance I was told to report any changes in bowel habits to my doctor,  which I do.  I suggest Some does so too. 

• Posted

Of course everyone is different, but people come here for general advice which is what they are given. and quite often it is mentioned that "xyz works for me so see how it goes " or "gerneral ibs advice is.." e.g. peppermint is good for bloating and cramps but obviously it might not agree with everyone, yourself included there, or people who have reflux. But it's something someone can try. That's the big problem with IBS - there's no cure all and almost everything is trial and error.

As for the omeprazole I really don't know why it would be given for IBS as it is a proton pump inhibitor that reduces the amount if acid produced by the stomach. It's mainly used to treat heartburn/reflux/gastritis and given alongside NSAIDS to help prevent ulcers. I would ask your Dr why you were given it (as I would with any meds really)

• Posted

Mebeverine is bad for IBS.  A lot of people can't take it.

• Posted

Although it is expensive, I would get your Buscopan over the counter when you run out.  I stopped getting Buscopan on prescription and just get it over the counter now.  My IBS was triggered by poor treatment in my surgery and going there causes me stress because I fear that I will see the two nurses who caused me all this trouble in the first place.  Stress avoidance keeps my IBS in remission.
    • Posted

What medicine is safe to take for colds and sore throats?  Any one know since a lot of medication have corn syrup in
    • Posted

I'd ask your chemist they will be best to advise you, you need to talk to a health professional they seem to have given you a diagnosis (if you can call it that) and then left you to it, correct me if I'm wrong, go back and say help I'm stuck I don't where to start and if they're are decent they should help you. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.