Hello from a new hipster!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've just joined this great group. I am 2 weeks post op THR at the tender age of 63. Really helpful to read about other people's experiences and I look forward to sharing some of my own. My main problems so far have been sleeping on my back and worrying about dislocation!

4 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Welcome Rosemary,

This site is great for asking for and sharing tips and advice.

I raise my legs whilst sleeping on my back. I use a large cushion from the sofa back and cover it with a soft fur like throw. I picked up the throw tip from another hippie who experienced sore heels whilst sleeping. I also suffered from this problem. Could have been due to the fact that I was unable to turn my feet coupled with the weight of the duvet that was causing it. Since then, no sore heels! I'm sure you'll find plenty of help.

• Posted

Hi, very similar to me ! 2 weeks ago and I'm 63 . I started sleeping on my good side after a week with pillows between my knees (physios advice) and now have a slumber pillow.

My biggest problem has been severe back ache!!

• Posted

12 days now and still find it hard to sleep.  I will try the pillow between legs.  Does your leg ache in the night I find I can't get a comfortable position without the ache?
  • Posted

I am new to this group too, I am 54 and having my left hip done tomorrow, not worried yet and have been taking advise I have seen on hear. Good lucknto you on your recovery x
    • Posted

Hey Jill

Best of luck tomorrow. It will be a breeze biggrin

Please let us know how you get on.

Michael x

• Posted

Best of luck to you tomorrow also!  Post when you can so we can know how you are getting along.

Dawn, USA

• Posted

Rosemary,

I have been sleeping on my back now for 14 weeks - due to having to have a second surgery on a misplaced insert at 10 weeks post op, so I am also 4 weeks post op!

Being on my back for the first 6 weeks was not nice, but just about bearable. Following massaging my scar, and my surgeon's permission, I was then able to get onto my operated side, but not onthe non-op side.

Since the second op, I am able to do a few minutes on the non-op side, but not on the operated side at all.  Every person/time it can be different.  Don't judge any of your recovery by other people's recovery.

I have found that raising my knees helps, as does flexing my non-op leg to the side and bending the knee so that my foot rests on my 'operated leg' knee.

Dislocation is something else - you really do not want to dislocate. it is reported as very painful, and you risk possibly having to have another operation (and full recovery from scratch) to put it back in place.  I put a 'risk graph' in my website on the '10►Hospital recovery' page.

My website is at ...            www. thr. org. uk

with the spaces removed.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Welcome!  Sounds like you are over the worst humps!  Not to dimish of course how sleeping on the back causes us to feel.  The good news is that before you know it, you will be able to sleep more comfortably, the bad news is, that you might always worry about dislocation.  But this concern needs not take us over, only live in the back of our minds to remind us think before we move.  I am nearly one year out and I exercise caution all the time and know that I always will.    

For now, while the surgery is so fresh, it is well to be super careful about dislocation.  It is like retraining ourselves to walk and move around.  

Keep on doing well!

Dawn, USA

• Posted

Welcome to our hipster family

I think l am safe in saying we all had this problem it took me a while to learn to dleep on my back but eventually i ould fall asleep it was about 3 weeks post op when l managed to sleep on my good side as long as l was on couch and had my back supported by the back of the couch. As for dislocation l think this is very uncommen as l have a few times forgot l have had it done and bent down to pick things up l still put wasings on and woul hoover l have been fine l am now 8 weeks post op and go in on monday for my other side. Have pre-op today. I feel ready and look forward to getting rid of the OA pain forever 😊

• Posted

Good luck for. Monday Lors.  I have just stretched sideways do you think that's ok?  I'm sure you would feel it if the hip,popped out wouldn't you!!

• Posted

Hi Rosemary, 

Warm welcome  to the family  you want stand by you when facing THR  (pre-and post op)

The fear of dislocation will be in the back of my mind for a while  a- They scare the hell of us and oh, INFECTION - 

I think the first thing you can do is to trust the new hip !   are you full weightbearing? it will help you to balance your body - it is like learning to stand and walk all over again - - so take one step at a time -

As for sleeping on your back I have mentioned many times before that my surgeon allowed me to sleep on unoprated side while still in hospital - I gor instructions how to use pillow between my knees and turn in bed.

come back anytime you have questions or concerns !

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, .... Infection, yes that too! Nearly 3 wks post op and wound still a little inflamed, therefore back to see nurse next week. It just gives the imagination something to work with! Rosemary x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.