Hello from a new hipster!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've just joined this great group. I am 2 weeks post op THR at the tender age of 63. Really helpful to read about other people's experiences and I look forward to sharing some of my own. My main problems so far have been sleeping on my back and worrying about dislocation!

4 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'll echo a lot of people and just say that I have an army of pillows ready for hip 2 on Friday! I also hate sleeping on my back but found if I bolstered myself up behind my back and then had one behind my knees I slept better.

To be honest it doesn't take long to get through this bit and I read that a lot of surgeons don't mind you sleeping on your side as long as you have pillows between your legs - I tried it after about three weeks and and it worked. I think the first couple of weeks are better on your back so that the joint can settle.

Michael, that squished testicle will stay with me all day - ewwww!

My friend had her hip done a few years ago, she dislocated it by tripping over the cat with her crutches and smashing into her kitchen table. I think you have to exert quite a force on it to pop it out. 

BUT - you must look after it while it settles in for the first few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.