Hello there

Posted , 29 users are following.

Been following this group for a few weeks now and decided to jump in. I had bunion surgery, hammertoe, plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel release, all on the right foot on Feb 26. Have done really well except for falling twice and putting a lot of pressure on my foot trying to keep from falling. I am approaching week three and actually have more pain now than I did at first. Sutures are out, thank goodness and I am still no-weight bearing. I see the surgeon Friday and will probably go into a post surgical boot. I keep thinking I should be further along but I have to consider I had four procedures on one little foot! I am 63 years old and it is not easy getting around. Hubby rented me a knee walker and that really has been a big help. Happy healing to all!

6 likes, 1672 replies

1672 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Anita, glad you got your knee scooter already. Wish I had had one right from the beginning. Just be super careful as I got the wheels of mine tangled up and down I went right onto my operated on foot. Wasn't pleasant! Good luck with the surgery. Time goes pretty fast.

Carmen, I was emotional when I saw my foot also! The pure joy of that huge bump gone and toes so straight!

Jilly, lol..I have stools and chairs all over the house just for that purpose! I am still non-weight bearing so my good legs tires quickly and that mid-way chair is a God-send when I'm not on the scooter.

• Posted

Jenny, the scooter is so popular here that if you dont get it when they have it you might not. Its a hot commodity. Is there a world wide sale on bunion removed?? lol I am actually glad I have it to try first before I really need it. I can see how much better it is then crutches.I will for sure do the chair stop on the way to the bathroom, great tip. I am taking the scooter when I get the surgery so I can get to the car after. I am already missing my bunion. My husband told me about a party we are invited to 2 weeks after surgery and there is no way I am going as we have stairs and the only reason I will be leaving is for a Doctors appointment. They are really hard to get up. They aren't the normal stairs they have a landing part way up and a corner, and that is what makes it hard. Anything else you can think of for me to prepare pre surgery?

• Posted

You will be surprised Anita, I am 2 weeks tomorrow and in the last week I have been out with friends twice, gone to a food fair (in a wheelchair) for my business and been to the pub!! (last one was a bit much though!! If you are in England and/or having a general anaesthetic they will only allow you to go to the car in a wheelchair because you will be pretty Dopey. But you will have seen Doc, been Sleepy, felt Bashful at the gown you will have to wear,, hopefully not Sneezy, sometimes Grumpy and eventually Happy !! Good luck

Jill

Devon England smile lol

• Posted

Checkin in. Had 7 am surgery. It is now 2:45 EST. Home with foot elevated., ice. Still numb with zero pain. Waiting for it tho. No pain meds and hoping I can do it without them only because I got addicted to them after my hip replacement. We shall see how it goes. Have my girlfriend to monitor them. All in all I'm in good spirits. I believe I have surrendered to the fact I am on the couch for awhile so working out today or the next upcoming week is out of the question. ( Gym rat ). This is where I'm at and grateful for all the encouragement I've recieved from my bunion buddies. To all. stay positive and grateful for the little things and let"s stay off the pity pot. Taking it one day at a time. Love and prayers to all!!!!!. P.S. What is the next hurdle i'm facing?
  • Posted

Oh I agree Bob - anyone who goes done the 'pity pot' road is a pity!! Give me positive thinking every time - it has got me though the last 2 weeks! You will need some pain relief - I have been taking Paracetamol

and Ibrufen at night. I don't think they are addictive and helped me get comfortable to sleep.

So don't worry about hurdles just the 100 metre dash!

Jill

Devon Uk

• Posted

Thanks Jill. Ok now the pain is really settimg in and toes feel frozen in place
  • Posted

Bob in your working life I believe you were a hero - don't be now take the pills!! if you get to sleep everything will be so much better tomorrow xx

• Posted

I agree- take the medication and get a good sleep. Oh and keep your feet cosy- a lightweight blanket or other cover will help.

Best

Eileen

• Posted

I put a wooly hat on my foot!! Worked a treat and my husband bought me a cosy zip up dressing gown so I just looked daft for a few days but was cosy!
  • Posted

Jenny, Anita,

Was just looking at the knee scooter. Awesome device. I will be knee scootering down the boardwalk in Atlantic city sooner then later and if I can't find an athletic scooter to do my cardio i may have to design one. Life's getting better every minute.. LOL Thanks also Jill and Aniti for suggestions.

• Posted

Definitely take the pills as prescribed for a week or so. Don't let that pain get on top of you! Glad you are doing well Bob! I took an older sock and cut it right in front of the heel, then just slipped the toe part right over my toes. Worked great!

• Posted

Day two. In pain although didn't take painkillers. Tylonol, and Advil. Slept pretty well. Girlfriend Annette has been Aces!! Not use to being waited on. Lo'ts of ice and elevation. If I can only keep my diet in tacked, squirrels quiet and stay patient. Only have ''TODAY'' Lot of love, prayer and support to buionon pals. smile

• Posted

Glad to see you are smiling Bob. Googled Advil - here in England we call it Ibrufen - none addictive and they do help though should take with something to eat. I found it was a good excuse for a biscuit - cookies to you. Have a good restful day, give Annette a cuddle - Jill

• Posted

Hi how is everyone today? Bob I would recommend taking the painkillers. If you don't want to take the Tylonol, at least take the Advil(Ibuprofen). I was prescribed co-dydromol, which today is the first day I haven't taken any, and Ibuprofen which I'm still taking. Like a lot of you I have chairs around the house to help me move about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.