Hello there

Posted , 29 users are following.

Been following this group for a few weeks now and decided to jump in. I had bunion surgery, hammertoe, plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel release, all on the right foot on Feb 26. Have done really well except for falling twice and putting a lot of pressure on my foot trying to keep from falling. I am approaching week three and actually have more pain now than I did at first. Sutures are out, thank goodness and I am still no-weight bearing. I see the surgeon Friday and will probably go into a post surgical boot. I keep thinking I should be further along but I have to consider I had four procedures on one little foot! I am 63 years old and it is not easy getting around. Hubby rented me a knee walker and that really has been a big help. Happy healing to all!

6 likes, 1672 replies

1672 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Doing well Carman Thanks for the shout. I'm in the two pillow elevation mode on the couch with ice. Chairs do help to get around. Still no need for painkillers yet!! Did get my ab crunches in with both feet elevated and knee push ups. Make sure we get some kind of excersize in whenever it's right for you. Got to stay on the beam Mentally, spiritually and pysically to get over the hump. EASY DOES IT!!

• Posted

Good to hear that Bob. Fingers crossed you don't need to use them. Yep I agree....EASY DOES IT.The hardest for me is not being able to go to the gym,run or distance walking!
  • Posted

Bob, sounds like you got the easy way out. No pain, whats with that!!! Here is hoping I am that way too. Bob which surgery did you have? I am having the Lapidus. Hang in there its almost over and you will be up in no time. ENjoy your pampering.
  • Posted

Anita, today was very uncomfortable. Still no pain killers. Had the Lapidus. We will be ok. Just have to roll with it. Getting fed well!!! Stay tuned. LOL
  • Posted

Bob, I am afraid of eating too much. Will get hubby to put fruit and vegies in containers for me in the fridge. Soda crackers and yougurt. I dont want to gain any weight.

• Posted

Anita I fear weight. When I'm in the gym I'm ok. Have to clean diet up. Have to stay in the day.
  • Posted

Yep Bob I am fearing it too. I am a weight Watchers member and will have to write everything down that I eat and make sure it is good food. I dont want to gain, would like to lose but will see how it goes. Not excercising is going to be hard as I have a Fitbit and put on over 10,000 steps a day.
  • Posted

How have others fared with the weight? I thought I would gain lots of weight but at three weeks post op I've been fine-in fact lost a little weight. I've eaten what I want (life is hard enough on the recovery front without denying youself). Dont understand the reason but happy with the result! Indulge a bit! Your bones need it!
  • Posted

Bob, I just posted on your original thread not thinking you already went under the knife. Congratulations - you are now an official bunion blogger!

You're a brave soul not taking any pain meds. I took them for 3 days and stopped because it was morphine and it gave me weird dreams. After I stopped taking meds, I realized that icing and elevating my foot was sufficient to manage the pain. Maybe you will too, but I recommend them before the pain blocks wear off if only for a day or two - even reducing the dose by half of what the doctor prescribed. Good luck!

Angela

• Posted

Hi Eileen. You enquire about weight. All the inactivity does come at a price doesn't it? I actually lost 2lbs in the first few days post op, due I suspect because I was very sick after the anaesthetic and couldn't keep any food down. Thereafter it took a few days to regain my appetite. Am now 16+ weeks post op and I have put on the 2 lbs I initially lost plus a further 3 lbs. I'm not slouching around all day but still not yet back to my pre-op active self. I'm not too disturbed by this as I am confident that I'll get the latest 3lbs off in due course. I have been trying to loose weight gently for a couple of years anyway because I needed to, and got rid of over a stone and I do feel much better for it, although I'm hardly starving myself to death but instead being sensible and cutting right back on bread, potatoes and cakes/biscuits. Not that I eat huge quantities of any of these things normally. I travel hopefully! I am determined to get back down to my pre-op weight.
  • Posted

Hi,I must admit I was worried about any weight gain, but I'm drinking plenty of water, eating home made meals and home made soup....so far I have neither gained or lost.

How long have other's waited before trying to put weight on their heel? My doctor advised 2weeks no weight and from week 3 light heel bearing weight? I accidentally put weight on my foot yesterday and the pain was intense!!

• Posted

Goodness so obsessed about weight and exercise!! Is that why our feet went bad in the first place????

I am 2 weeks in, pretty mobile now thanks to a plaster cast, and am 4lb lighter than when I started and have eaten pretty much what I like though perhaps a bit more fruit than usual as my customers keep

sending it in!! I am with Eileen indulge a little and pamper yourselves a little. Too much exercise is not healthy - have a happy balance. smile

• Posted

3 days out. Nerve block wearing off. Most pain so far. Back is hurting from lying around. Spirits are up. Great to have lot's of friends who call and text. Phone doesn't stop and everyone wants to stop over. Not ready yet. As far as weight goes, we just have to do the best we can. Saint Annette has been awesome. Off for my first shower. Praying for my bunion buddies!!! Stay on it!!!!
  • Posted

Yes the back pain was a problem but doesn't seem to last too long, Bob. Really wish you would take some pain relief. It will aid your recovery so much. General consensus is you lose weight and it doesn't matter anyway. You will not become someone on a tv programme who is taken out by crane!! Saint Annette wouldn't let that happen!! Sunny here in Devon so am going down the harbour later. I live in Ilfracombe - google it!! Do you live near the coast??
  • Posted

Jillyco, oh my you sure live in a nice place. I look out my window and see SNOW right now. Bob, yes bite the bullet and enjoy some pain meds. Why suffer. So you say day three it starts, hummmm better prepare myself for that. I hear you on the back hurting laying on the couch. How is sleeping at night? I am a side sleeper and am assuming that wont be happening for a few weeks??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.