Hello there

Posted , 29 users are following.

Been following this group for a few weeks now and decided to jump in. I had bunion surgery, hammertoe, plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel release, all on the right foot on Feb 26. Have done really well except for falling twice and putting a lot of pressure on my foot trying to keep from falling. I am approaching week three and actually have more pain now than I did at first. Sutures are out, thank goodness and I am still no-weight bearing. I see the surgeon Friday and will probably go into a post surgical boot. I keep thinking I should be further along but I have to consider I had four procedures on one little foot! I am 63 years old and it is not easy getting around. Hubby rented me a knee walker and that really has been a big help. Happy healing to all!

6 likes, 1672 replies

1672 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

No Anita you wont!! I had a practice before with a couple of pillows and was surprised how quickly I could sleep on my back. " weeks in though and I do sneek onto my side. Don't often get snow here but had far to much rain this winter next county flooded for weeks now!! Where do you live?

• Posted

Jillyco, I live in Calgary, Alberta CANADA. A long ways from you. I am trying to practice not crossing my legs when on my recliner. Once in a while I put the aircast on and try the crutches but it is hard. One more week today and I will be like that for 6 weeks. Seems an eternity already!!
  • Posted

air cast sounds like a good idea. I have been thankful that I have a plastercast on so cant move it even if I wanted too. Very little pain, though first few days not nice. Is a recliner ok? You need to have your foot higher than your hip - better still your heart. So I suppose the pun is as you live in Calgary..

..you will soon be stampeding around evil

• Posted

Jilly, yep.................or I am missing Stampeding already!! Life is going to change for me very soon. Weird but i am already missing my bunion. I have had it for over 20 years
  • Posted

Anita-don't worry. You'll manage the crutches and aircast when you have to! Calgary is lovely-were there three years ago. Devon I don't know but sunny is good and the harbour sounds pretty. I'm in Blairgowrie in Scotland where the weather is chilly and blowy with rain squalls. It's warm inside though.
  • Posted

Jilly, IIfracombe is soo beautiful. Just googled it up. I live a few blocks from the beach in New Jersey. Love watching sunrise with cup of tea in the morning and a nice bikeride on the boardwalk. Soon!!!! Anita, I'm a side sleeper and sleeping on my back takes getting used too. Just had my first shower on shower chair. Highly recommend the chair. Day 3 in progress. Pain is a solid 7 and temporary. Looking out the window sunny, Robin bouncing around. Springtime with more snow on Tuesday.
  • Posted

Bob do you have the shower chair with the back?? I have one but no back just the bench style. I have been taking a lot of long shower lately. If your pain is a 7 take some meds. It will help your healing too. That way your healting is not concentrating on your pain but where it needs to.
  • Posted

Ok, I just practised by holding my surgery foot up and trying to get off the couch. It isnt easy and in fact I couldnt do it. We have a reclining couch and maybe that is why. Oh this is going to be tough. My right foot is the surgery one and the left isnt very strong but I guess it will be soon. How does everyone here get off the couch. I need to know as I am not getting it.
  • Posted

Anita before I had op I could not use crutches, get to loo, stairs, standing, hopping - nothing. got really screwed up about it. Don't!! waste of time because when you do have it done you just manage!! you will be fine! just enjoy a few days mobile. x

• Posted

Hi Jilly, your right I am so grateful everyday right now that I can land on both feet. I will forget about it and move on.I just cleaning out cupboards cause my husband will never find anything. I know doing too much prep work but I feel I have to?? One week today I will be living on the couch.

• Posted

Saw the doctor today for my 3 week check up. He said everything looks good but he is worried about my pain level and the burning, electric shock type pains. He is thinking I have the beginnings of RSD. Soooo, I'm going to be taking a drug called Neurontin for that and I will start physical therapy. He said since I had four surgeries with four different incisions it is going to take me 6-12 months to recover. Went into a walking boot today but still no weight bearing. I have an incision across the heel of the foot and one going up the back of the ankle so heel walking is out for me. Over the next month I will be working slowly on full weight bearing. I just hope I will be able to get into a decent shoe for my grandsons wedding the end of June!
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I have missed the forum the last couple of days as our Internet is faulty. They are working on it now. I am using mobile but not easy. I have missed the contact and will catch up when back on. My phone is too small for my ageing eyes!! Hope you are all progressing well.

Jan

• Posted

Day 4. Still lot's of pain and very uncomfortable. Sleeping has been tough. Boredom setting in. Has to be a better way. Gotta get the mojo back. Go Jenny and hi Jan!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Bob

This is the point at which it starts to get better- honest! Take the painkillers and don't think about the boredom. Just be in the moment - watch tv, read a book, count the clouds.....anything!! One morning soon you'll realise that you're on the mend.

Take care

E

• Posted

Bob, Eileen has such good advice, she's a star. I thought TV would relieve the boredom but just motivated me to do something else . I have been letter writing - old fashioned I know, but friends and family have really appreciated them and even written back!! Modern technology is all very good but not very personal. I suppose this site helps with the boredom too. I am just over 2 weeks in and managed to walk to the post box today - hoorah!! I feel sorry for Jenny - all those incisions = brave lady.

Hope today is less painful for you Bob.

Regards Jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.