Help!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks bilateral TKR and my knees are aching so much! I don't know what to do, I can't get comfy anyway, I just want to cry, I have had enough today! I have taken my meds and had a bath, done icing as well, what can I do? Xx

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sandra ... I can totally symphasize with you! At 8 weeks I couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Sleep was non-existent, my knee felt so tight I couldn't move it and my bend (which had been pretty good) seemed worse than after week 1 but at 10 weeks I can now go down the stairs properly (could go up properly but not down) and can now walk outside of the house without a stick and can even drive a fair distance. It does get better so hold on in there and cry as much as you want ... it makes you feel better after. Just remember this is a long slow and painful process so if one day you feel cr*p just write it off and start again tomorrow. You're doing great! 😉😉😉😅
  • Posted

You are at the point of the journey that can be very frustrating. The burning is inflammation and if you would add aleve, 2 tablets twice a day. Try elevating your leg with a couple of pillows several times a day. Increase the icing to 20 mins out of every hour. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Rather than gulping large glasses keep a liter or water bottle close to you chair or bed and just take a couple of gulps several times an hour

Check with your doc concerning the type and amt of pain meds you are getting. Strange thing, everyone is different in their reaction to pain meds. As has been mentioned numerous tests, I had to have my prothesis removed 8 weeks ago because of staph. My surgeon changed me to 5 mg oxocodone which I had never taken. I take 2 pills for moderate pain and 5 for high level. I also take a 15 mg ms continue morn and bedtime. I have never had better and more complete relief. You will get through this stage just like you got thru those awful first couple of weeks.

• Posted

I can only echo all of the others advice and although I'm now at six months post TKR I remember those days of pain and not knowing what to do with myself and you've got two you brave person!😀 I got a lot of relief from sitting in my recliner with a large cushion under my knee and an ice pack strapped on my very swollen, painful knee. I also took every pain killer I could get my hands on, but the most effective was Codamaol which seemed to give me a nicely "drunken" feeling and generally knocked me out! 🍷😴 however, it does tend to cause problems with going to the loo-sadly! Anyway, hang on in there, and I can confirm it does get better, plus remember that you've got both of yours over and done with in one shot, unlike some of us who will have to go through it again with the other one.......😁 take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.