Help!!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Today I have gone from 75mg down to 37.5mg venlafaxine and I have felt so bad words cannot describe it. I have been tapering off from 150mg over two weeks so now I have a week to go. I have been taking Prozac as I had some spare and another doctor said it was to help with the withdrawels so I did. At lunch time today I tried to eat and my hands wouldn't connect with my brain so i cried and even crying felt strange. My partner saw this and rang the physiatrist and he said not to ever mix Prozac as it can have a bad effect. Also he wants me to not take any venlafaxine now at all. I am so SUPER worried that I will feel even worse withdrawels than I already do by completely stopping it. To cope aswell I have been sleeping day and night with seroquel as its been that bad. Any advise would be greatly appreciated because I believe stopping could be a bad decision. Thanks , Jo

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. In my opinion that is too much of drop. I came off 75mg over 1 year. Yes a long time I know but the side effects were virtually non existent. I did it by cutting the tablet form up and reducing 1/4 by 1/4.

It's highly recommended you taper off more slowly.

• Posted

That is slow but sensible. I wouldn't wish what I'm going through on my very worst enemy. I'm on 37.5 now, what should I do. The doctors over here in NZ don't understand and the psychiatrist wanted me to stop completely today which I refused to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I would rather die than feel this bad. Thanks Jo
    • Posted

Hi Jo. If you've not been on 37.5 long I'd go back up to 75mg. Do what I suggested. Take a 37.5mg and 3/4 of a 37.5mg for a month then reduce by a 1/4 each month. I'm no doctor but that's what I did. Going down by that amount you have is far too much for your sensitivity. I felt very few side effects.
    • Posted

I agree. I'm in hospital now with a drip in my arm feeling awful. My headache had gone but u feel still so confused and awful. When the psychiatrist eventually come I'm really hoping they suggest that.
    • Posted

Crikey! Because of your withdrawal? How did it get to this state to be hospitalised? I'm so sorry to hear this news. It's the only thing I can suggest but seeing you're in hospital, they may prescribe you Xanax or something similar. I hope you recover quickly.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, yeah because of the withdrawels. I couldn't cope anymore. The drip has helped as I was dehydrated from not drinking due to sleeping all day. I'm just waiting to see the psychiatrists but they have had to attend to two emergencies. I was an emergency, it seems you have to look like you are dying before you get attention. I'm over this country it's so dumb
    • Posted

Its just so frustrating as they don't know how it feels and they aren't skilled up enough on the withdrawels of ven over here. It sounds like over there in the uk they are much better trained in it. I'm a Pom by the way!!
    • Posted

I crashed hard from 500 mg of effexor to 0 in one month, I dont reccomend it, but glad I did it, never going back on it again.
    • Posted

Hi Chris. Were you on the ordinary venlafaxine tablets or the extended release version? I think it's worth mentioning that with the version I am on, venlalic XL , it would be virtually impossible to break or cut the tablets because they consist of a very hard rigid case, from which the active ingredient gradually leaches through a small hole. The pharmacist explained it to me. I take two 75mg tablets at night and one 75mg tablet first thing in the morning, so I am reducing very slowly by missing off the morning dose once a week, on Saturday. I do tend to feel fluey that day, but it's quite tolerable.
    • Posted

Hi pixie. Yeah I'm on the capsule for but also have the normal tablet form of 37.5mg. I could cut those up as I did when I came off them first time around. That's the only way I could even think about the dosage increase. My anxiety is too intense.
    • Posted

Omg that is incredible. I can't even cope going down off 37.5.!! It must of been pure hell for you.
    • Posted

Sorry about all the posts I just thought I would let you know they sent me home without seeing me and I'm waiting now (it's 10am here) for someone to ring me. Unbelievable aye!!
    • Posted

I rang the doctors and no reply so I'm going to take 75mg right now as I can't bare this any longer. Then what do I do?
    • Posted

Ok. How long since you've had none in your system or at least the reduced amount?? How long were you taking the 75mg for?
    • Posted

I took 75mg this yesterday morning. I was on 75 for a week
    • Posted

Good. I'm afraid you need to give it time to get into your system. It's horrid I know. I've been through it and I should imagine most have. It goes with the territory. I'd get yourself on them if you can't manage. You need to give them time to work. I know it's easier said than done but I can assure you the benefits by far outweigh the side effects. They took over 3 months to work for me. Forget what the doctors tell you. You need real advice from people who take them but remember, nobody is the same and people react in different ways. Keep going, keep yourself busy and give them time. If after 3-4 months you don't feel any benefits then come off them but come off them in the way I said. Not what the doctors said. Hope this helps and you're feeling a bit better. Chris.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.