HELP 19 years old with complex cyst and scared it’s ovarian cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone. I am 19 years old and on August 1st i found out i have a complex ovarian cyst 4.3 x 3.7 x 3.8 cm  on my left ovary. The doctor decided to check back in 8 weeks. However, my symptoms have gotten worse as i have nausea and loss of appetite which makes me not wanna eat and result I’ve lost a lot of weight. I also feel full quickly when eating small meals. I’ve been feeling really really tired and i have no energy to do the same things i used to love. I also have inconsistent pain in my pelvis and legs (thighs). I also have the urgency to urinate frequently. I am worried i have ovarian cancer but no one seems to take me seriously. I’ve always had irregular periods  which would come every 4/5 months (even now). I have my first gyno appointment next week. How did you first find out you had cancer? Did it start off with a complex cyst? Does anyone have the same symptoms? 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm 24 and personally just had a 5cm complex hemorrhaging cyst inside my ovary removed April no cancer but all the symptoms you had. August I had the symptoms again got an ultrasound and exam this time it was 7-8 cm had it removed plus a tumor off my tube. Been having the pain and symptoms again getting and Ultrasound on Tuesday then if it is another cyst they are just taking out my right ovary.

None of mine were cancerous. I think you will be fine, just make sure to get it checked out as you are supposed to.

• Posted

Can cysts grow bigger? I actually think mine has grown u want to see the size of my stomach I’m goin to go to a an e on Monday an get it checked cux it isn’t normal this feeling - when I have my period nothing realy comes it’s that light I no there is something wrong xx

• Posted

Yes they can grow bigger.

It's always good to get checked just to be safe

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. I feel better knowing you had no Cancer and same symptoms as me. Hope everything goes well with you goodluck. Also did you do a CA-125 blood test ? 
  • Posted

Morning lovely

First of all I’m so sorry you are having to go through this as anybovaeuab cyst is just the Pitts 

I didn’t have a complex cyst but there are other ladies on here that have - I just didn’t want to read and run. I had an haemoragic cyst on my right ovary but had all the sane symptoms as you - constant pain radiating into my thigh, loss of appetite, extreme bloating peeing for Britain (turned out my cyst was pressing on my bladder so that could be your reason too!!

Good news is once they remove it most symptoms go away after a while - I know exactly how you feel with regards to being made to feel that you aren’t being taken seriously I think most of us have felt that way on here.

I guess us knowing some foreign object + pain = abnormal get it out of me but the surgeons tend to have a watch and wait system as a lot of cysts can disperse on their own hence why surgeons don’t rush to operate.

Have you had the CA125 blood test? That detects ovarian cancer but again be aware it’s not a solid diagnosis it measures inflammation in the body.

Good luck keep us updated x

• Posted

Hey thank you so much for replying, i appreciate it and i feel more reassured . I did not do the CA-125 blood test yet,  i am waiting for my gyno appointment and I am going to bring up the blood test to her. It just sucks having all this pain and no doctor is taking me seriously. I just want to remove it but the doctor told me to wait for 8 weeks until i do another ultrasound. Did you do surgery to remove it ?
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I’m happy you feel more reassured, it is horrendous especially when you’re in pain and you feel nobody is listening we have all been there on here.

Yes I had surgery to remove mine and my right tube, but I have know people with cysts and again have done the watch and wait thing had another ultrasound and the cyst has gone away on it’s own - it’s frustrating for the patient as of course during that waiting game all we experience is pain and fear of the unknown.

But I did have all of the same symptoms as you - I found getting a bath helped short term and a wheat bag (the bag you heat up in the microwave) I know it isn’t easy but try and do as much as you can to keep your mind off of it - I have two children 7 & 2 so they took my time whilst waiting, just try keep busy sweetie so it doesn’t take over your life xx

• Posted

I am sorry that u are going through this expressly at an early age i had the same thing i had some cysts on both of my ovaries but the one on my right side had disappeared and the left side was removed along with my ovary and tube the reason why they are waiting is to see if it disappears on its own like mine did and as far as the pain and bloating i had it for about a year until they decided to take it out and think negative about the cancer like i did u will be ok
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it. Did you also have loss of appetite and weight loss? I read that this is usually indicates cancer,  of course that's me being paranoid.  I am just going to wait for my gyno appointment.   As well as my symptoms started in May and it started getting worse over time so it's been more than 5 months and no change. I heard complex cyst don't usually go away on their own and they get bigger

• Posted

Yes i did i couldn't really eat cause i was always full i would take about a couple of bites of food and i would be full does cancer run on any sides of your mother or father side mine does and i turn out non cancerous so u will be ok believe me i was so scared cause my mother and father both had cancer i was dealing with the pain for a year so i know how u feel

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I didn't experience nàusea but I did have pain in my hip down to my thigh. Not to diminish your pain but 4 cm is rather small. Mine was 11 cm. I looked 6 months pregnant. Anyway, 99% of the women on here did not have cancer. Cysts themselves aren't dangerous unless they burst. I doubt yours will. I suggest you look through some of our stories. You'll see many of us were just as frightened as you but once we learned more about our ailment then we were fine.

• Posted

hi lisa, thank you for response, i hope you are feeling better now. As well as your right,  I guess I was just scared reading the stuff online but now I feel better with everyone reassuring me on this website. 
  • Posted

My cyst was cancer. They found out by doing a biopsy on it after they removed it in surgery.  They were worried it was cancer even before the surgery and my CA-125 was normal. That test is not definitive for cancer. Certain things can elevate your numbers and you can have cancer and show normal numbers like me.  At the emergency room they referred me to a gynecological oncologist. Unfortunately, from what I know about ovarian cancer now most people don't present symptoms until it has spread out of the ovary. They say "it whispers" because there usually aren't very many symptoms.  The only thing I can think to do is to express your concerns with your doctor, then they can decide or a different doctor can decide to remove it for a biopsy. They'll also do staging if they suspect cancer, my surgery took a long time, my loved ones were worried  I learned afterwards. But basically, staging is when they biopsy all manner of organs from you abdomen to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. If you trust your doctors and they haven't suggested any of this to you. I doubt they suspect cancer. But like I said definitely tell them everything you are experiencing so they have a clear picture of what you are going through.

• Posted

Also, my complex cyst ended up weighing 33lbs. So they can grow very large. Mine was trying to kill me growing so big. I had all the same symptoms though. Those are probably just symptoms of all cysts as they grow and stress out nerves, bladder, stomach. 
    • Posted

omgg im soooo sorry to hear what you went through, it must have been really hard. I Hope you are feeling much better and recovering well now. Thank you for sharing i appreciate your help. Im just going to wait until my appointment but I'm feeling more calm and  i don't think i have cancer i was just scared and everyone seemed to have reassured me these symptoms are very common with cysts as well I'm very young to have it. 

• Posted

They automatically do biopsies on cysts. And they, of course, follow up with the appropriate treatment if it is cancerous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.