Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, I'm new on here, I just found out last Monday that I have cancer cells present in my womb after a d&c so I was told I have to have a full radical hysterectomy with open surgery. I'm only 31 and very overweight so my gynae consultant is going to try and give me a couple of months to loose as much weight as I can before surgery. I was just wondering what kind of pain relief you get after surgery, I'm scared and don't know what to expect. They took biopsys on Monday and depending on how aggressive the cancer is they might have to operate ASAP. I was just wondering if anyone else had this as the reason for a hysterectomy? Many thanks for reading all that! Lol

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gillygirl, so sorry for your diagnosis, I also had the cancer diagnosis, I had a grade 1A endometrial cancer, I had a vaginal hysterectomy almost 7 weeks ago, is there no possibility of you having a vaginal or keyhole? Don't be afraid to ask,, I am also overweight and haven't had any problems since the op, I didn't need any pain relief (but possibly I'm not human 😊) I was offered ibuprofen and paracetamol though, they won't let you suffer and if you need stronger stuff ask. When will you find out your biopsy results?

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi Gillygirl

Sorry to hear your news.  I had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago because of grade 1c endometrial cancer, and I am recovering really well.  They were able to do mine keyhole, although they did say they wouldn't know whether it had to be a big incision until they operated.  You won't feel much pain.  They will either give you a morphine drip which you control yourself, or an epidural, as well as a general anaesthetic.  I had an epidural with the general but I also had morphine for a previous op. The epidural is left in until you want it taken out, and then you have other pain relief.  They won't let you be in pain.  I was OK on paracetamol and ibuprofen.  I had my op on a Friday afternoon and went home on the Monday afternoon.

The worst part of all of this is the shock at being told you have cancer, and the waiting around for the op.

By the way, I also am quite overweight.

Please ask any questions you wish.  We are all here for you.

Kathy xxx

• Posted

lol I forgot about the epidural doh! I think I might be going senile.
    • Posted

It happens to the best of us Phoebe!  Hope you are still recovering well?

xxxKathy

• Posted

Not such a good couple of days but all to be expected I suppose, just feel generally yucky, can't put my finger on anything specific, roll on spring, always makes me feel good.

Glad you are ticking along nicely.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Yes, I know what you mean.  The days are starting to get longer though and spring is round the corner!  I saw my doctor yesterday and she said I can drive now!  Yeeeesssss!

xxx Kathy

• Posted

That's great, makes such a difference. Enjoy your freedom. X x
  • Posted

Hi again, as Kathy has said, you will probably have a spinal block as well as general anaesthetic, bit of an odd feeling but soon wears off when you get back on the ward, it was after this that I was offered the ibuprofen and paracetamol. Please let us know how you get on, and come on here to yell and scream if you need to, we all understand, don't suffer on your own, I have found much comfort talking to the ladies on here.

Best wishes.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Thanks for all your replys, I'm waiting on the biopsy to see how aggressive the cancer is, if it's not aggressive they are going to try and leave me a couple of months to loose weight, I have to have an open procedure because my cervix is very far back and hard to reach despite having 3 kids. Can I just ask if you had any treatment you had after the hysterectomy? I have been referred to the cancer centre and I'm unsure what this means? X
    • Posted

No I didn't need further treatment fortunately, before I had surgery It was explained to me that I may need radiotherapy but during surgery my consultant discovered that the cancer hadn't spread beyond the uterus, I have got to have check ups every 6 months for the next 3 years though just to be certain/safe.
    • Posted

Thank you, I'm very nervous about the surgery and what lyes ahead after. It's the pain I'm dreading, I'm not a good patient! Lol
    • Posted

They won't let you suffer, I was a WRECK before I had my op, I am agoraphobic so that made things worse even going to the hospital is a big deal, but on the morning I had to go into hospital I was as calm as anything, you just get to the point where you want it done and out of the way, I won't say don't worry because you will, but I am sure you will find that it is in no way as bad as you are anticipating it to be.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Hi Gillygirl.  As Phoebe has said, they won't let you be in pain.  They anaesthetist told me that on the day of my op when I told him I was scared of the op and scared of being in pain.  He said they had done hundreds of these ops before and it was in their best interest to make sure I wasn't in pain - and I was fine afterwards.  I was the one who asked to be taken off the painkilllers!  The thought of it, and the waiting, really is a lot worse than the actual operation and afterwards.

I am waiting to find out my biopsy results, so don't know yet what they will tell me is the next step, if any.

xxxKathy

• Posted

Hey Gillygirl (LOVE THE NAME biggrin

WOW... I can't imagine how you must have reacted to your news sad 

You will see on this site... SO MANY women having different reasons for a HYST...

I only had a 4 lb fibroid, not cancerous... but I needed the full ABH... 22 staples down the belly.

I can tell you for me... I did NOT feel it after... a few hours after they MADE ME GET UP... I could feel a BURNING PAIN SHOOTING in my stomach, right down that incision...

They gave me pain killers in the hospital and I was able to sleep well..

Coming home they did provide me with 2 different pain pills.. I had to keep track of them on paper.

I can't recall the names...but I will ask when I go for my check up what I had..

They do make sure you receive the correct dose to keep you comfy... that is true!

I am so sorry to hear about your bout of cancer.

But they are so advanced today.... I know they will take care of you, and you can move on!!!

I will keep you in my thoughts!

Please keep us posted on your results!!!!!!  You know have many "hyster-sisters" here for you smile

Peace and love from Mary - USA

• Posted

Hi mintdream, thankyou for your story. Believe it or not I reacted very calmly and just drove hom to tell my husband like I was telling him what was for dinner. It was a couple of days later that it hit me. Now I'm just wishing I had an op date to give me something to focus on. X
    • Posted

Hi Gillygirl

Delayed reaction comes out of nowhere doesn't it. sad Hopefully you will soon have your op date and can focus on all the dos and don'ts and before you know it you will be on the road to recovery.  

This site is wonderful and we are all here for you if you need us, and sometimes we get bossy even if you don't need us!  

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Thanks jacqui, I'm so glad I found this site, I know I'm going to be a pest asking questions etc over the next while to I get my op done. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Gillygirl

Don't worry you can never ask too many questions, when I first came onto this site I had just started my journal (it's a record of my start - finish of my hysterectomy journey so I can see if I am improving, it is taking over from the bladder and bowel diary I have had to keep for 2 years!) and I was asking everything, but the sisters here just fall over themselves to help and give information.  I think they are all fantastic.  I have learned heaps from them.  So anything you want to know, ask away.

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

You ask as many questions as you like, we may not always know the answer but we are here for you now and after you've had your op. X
    • Posted

OH... that will all fall in place...

find out as MUCH info as you can from dr...  and some of us might have/had the same thing..

ITs really comforting on here... I am 11 weeks POST OP and still feel the need to share/talk/listen...

guess its with us forever now... but we are NOT ALONE  smile

Keep in touch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.