Help advise

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had tkr on the right but find I cant walk as far as I did before tkr it feels like I have  brick,.  knee is still numb doing all exercise can use exercise bike and do. I believe I can get 100 bend but find some times I get a sharp pain in the right side of the knee any suggestions please . Concerend as due to go in for the left knee on 15th Jan 16 . Not looking forward to at all as now know what to expect!!  

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long since you had it!

You sound a bit like me but I'm only at 5 weeks so from what I read here doing quite well.

• Posted

yes I belive doing ok but keep being told knee / leg not straight so trying very hard to do exercises to get this straight before the 15th. Does your knee feel like its a brick

• Posted

Absolutely.

I take loads of painkillers.  Tried to cut down on them but was told (on this forum) that I was being stupid so take them 30 mins before exercise and they definitely help. Also as the PT increased I got terrible pain in calf quad glut and hip which was really bad all over Christmas. A lot better now, you just keep on going for the long game.  I dunno about surgery on 15th. Can you postpone for another couple of weeks maybe?

• Posted

I had thought about but this is the best time as have very busy year daughter getting married in Sept new grandson Feb . I know I have to go through as the pain I had in the right has gone but left knee giving way all the time nearly fallen down stairs  going to go ahesd but not looking forward. Re you and painkillers what are you taking I hardly take any at the moment so It does get better I was taking 30 codine 200 paracetamol this seems to wokr for me but there is an end to them promise. Stick with it it does get better
    • Posted

I'm up for right TKR in Spring.

I take codeine (Tylex - first thing in the morning 5 - 6am) 800mg ibuprofen (Brufen) twice during the day when doing my PT and walking basically.

paracetmol if I'm really having a bad day and a sleeping tablet (I still wake up between 5 - 6am),

Back at Physiotherapist tomomorrow just know I'm going backwards on the bend at the moment, but that seems to be normal from what I read hear, so I dont feel so bad.

• Posted

Keep going it will get better  small steps so Ive been told

• Posted

Hi there, well I am wondering if you have nerve pain which is very common I had the same and was given  special tablets for nerve pain and the pain went, such a relief as it scared me a bit! I assume as you do all the exercises you also ice your knee frequently as that is also important for your recovery!

i have had both knees done and to free from the dreadful pain I used to suffer is bliss! There must be a strong reason to have your other knee replaced. Please ask your doctor or surgeon about the nerve pain it is very common after a tkr and I am trying to recall name of tablets my doc gave me gabapentin  I think, I know that someone on here will know!

Please try not to worry about next operation I am sure it will go smoothly I wish all the very best and hope you let us all know how you are getting on!

• Posted

Thankyou   the pain is a very sharp and will stop me in tracks has reduced to tears but pain does pass cant seem to find what makes it happen or which movement so can avoid. Reason for tkr no cartalege bone on bone.
    • Posted

At one time I took gabepentin and Neurontin and finally lyrica for nerve pain. Didn't really find much relief in any of them but ghats not to say others wouldnt. One thing about being on this site as you go through the journey, you find out how different we all are even with the same ailment.
    • Posted

Ive just found this site today so its great to talk to others who have had tkr husband very supportive but do sometimes feel slightly bullied know hes trying to help. He keep suggesting togo back and talk to physio but will be back with them in 2 weeks
  • Posted

I forgot to say that mine also felt like a brick for first couple of weeks but now it just feels normal whatever normal is!!
    • Posted

Thanks for talking

will let u know how I get on as will be sat for a while after

• Posted

Don't reschedule your next op. Lots of people get both done a the same time. You are doing fine, your 2nd one will take you mind of the first. Exercise, ice but be kind to yourself. Mine is now 13 months post op. Far from perfect but it 100% better than before. No pai with bone on bone so I consider it a success. Hopefully my second one in the spring. Mine still gets heavy if tired and clunks. I don't mind the clunking since it reminds me that it's working. Good luck to you and all the best on your 2016 journey to pain free knees. 
    • Posted

Your clunking will go once your quads are 100%. Looking after those particular muscles is an ongoing thing but worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.