Help after hip replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello!

So, I'm looking for some advice. My father has been told he is going to need a hip replacement in about 3 months. I live in the USA and my dad lives on his own in the UK. I will fly back to help him for about 3 weeks, but due to my job I  may not be able to stay much longer than that. Realistically, will he still need help after that or, assuming we get him everything he needs, will he be ok for the rest of his recovery? I have no issue getting someone to come in and help when he needs it, but he's pretty stubborn and probably won't want anyone.

Other than his hip issues (arthritic, not broken), he's in great health, so I don't foresee any major issues with his recovery.

Any advice would be good! 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I live alone and my sister came on the Thursday and stayed with me until a week on the following Monday. Around ten days. I carried on after that by myself. I do have some good friends who used to come and visit as I was not able to drive for six weeks. It is really the first two weeks you need help. I was in quite a bad way before my op and had been house bound and unable to drive as I was in such pain, so if your father is in good health he is probably a lot better than I was. 
    • Posted

HI Ptolemy,

Thanks for your response - I appreciate it! I will definitely be looking in to getting him help for after I leave, or at least having the option ready and waiting for him in case he needs it.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Betty, you will probably know how well he will do pretty well from the time he comes home. My sister dragged me out to lunch the day after I came home which in some ways was great, but I was quite tired after the op which I am sure your father will be. 
  • Posted

I needed help for around 6-8 weeks he will certainly need someone to do the food shopping. I was still on crutches up to 15 weeks. I only went back to work at 6months. I still have limited mobility it takes a lot of physio and home exercises to get you'd own muscles working again. I still can't do my own lace up. Suggest her has slip ons. Good luck I hope he gas a speedy recovery

• Posted

HI Penny,

Thanks for your response! Luckily, my dad is retired, so at least he doesn't have to worry about going back to work. He for sure has slip ons!! He has been dealing with the hip pain for a few years now, but only recently decided to take actual steps to get it fixed - he's been surviving with pain meds...!! So I think he has already devised quite a lot of work around to deal with the inconvenience of limited mobility.

• Posted

How old is your dad? Is he able to order groceries online? I had help from my sister for about 10 days post op and it was great. I got lots of ready meals stocked up in the freezer and then friends drove me around to appointments until I was allowed to drive again at 5 weeks. The first few weeks was mainly resting. Everyone is different though so difficult to predict. Speak to the district nurse at the surgery who should come over to check your dad’s dressing.  They can advise re where to get help if needed. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad 

Ann x

• Posted

HI AnniePaint!

Thanks for your response! My dad turns 70 this Sunday. He definitely is able to order groceries online (and a bunch of stuff on ebay, lol!). 

I think I may suggest that we get him a a bigger freezer so I can get a lot of meals ready for him. I'm also going to suggest that we move his bedroom downstairs for the time being so he doesn't have to deal with stairs.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Betty, Perhaps suggest your dad joins us here in this group? It’s such a good support. 

Best Wishes

Ann

• Posted

PS The physios will make sure he can manage stairs before he is discharged home. Stairs are good exercise. 
  • Posted

Betty, a couple of questions.  Which hip is being replaced.  Which surgical method are they using.  Does your Dad drive an automatic or stick shift car.  Because, I feel his recovery goes well, he could be back driving by two weeks, depending on whether he has Anterior or Posterior Hip replacement.  The posterior replacement has long Dr recovery and more movement restrictions. The most important qualifier is when he gets off of the RX pain medication.  That is different for everyone.  But I think 3 weeks is very reasonable.  He should be able to get around his house well by two weeks.  Hopefully they will send PT to his home for quicker mobility.  And you could find a meal service that delivers and grocery service that delivers to make it easier.  Can you manage helping him physically?  Because in the beginning you may need to help him up and around a lot.
    • Posted

HI Staceymaz,

Thanks for your response! Honestly, I'm not sure which one it is. He's been told he needs both replacing, but they will only do one at at time, so I'm not sure what they're going to start with - I will hopefully find out on Sunday when I physically speak to him - all info I got was via text this morning, so the same answer goes for your second question too - I'm not sure.

He just traded in his manual car for an automatic as it was getting too hard for him to use the clutch, so luckily he has that taken care of.

You raise a good point about being able to move him though - I'm pretty strong but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to be able to move him if needed...! This will be something to think about for sure.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Dear Betty

If he is not over eighty and is in good health and fit and has a positive outlook he should be fine especially if you are keeping an eye on him m

Cheers. Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response! He is about to turn 70 and definitely has a positive outlook - I think he's just super happy that he's finally getting something solid done about it, rather than taking pain meds all the time.

Thanks again!

• Posted

I will apologize in advance for being the wet noodle, but there is absolutely no way to assure you that your father will be self-sufficient after 3 weeks.

My hip replacement went very well. My rehab for the hip went without issue. Except that a nerve was somehow damaged and I ended up with foot drop and an ankle that cannot support me for normal wLking. Since it is my right side, 14 months later I am still in therapy, still not released from my surgeon, and still cannot drive. My husband is an incredible support and drives me everywhere, does most of the grocery shopping, and has the patience of Job when I enter one of my depression moods.

No one would have foreseen this prior to my waking up after surgery. I wish you well. Please have a plan for unexpected results.

• Posted

Hi Debina,,

Thanks for your response, and I don't see your answer as being a wet noodle type response - it's good to know these types of scenarios! I think if that were to happen for my father, then we would definitely have to have someone go in and help him. Logistically there is noway I can be there for that length of time, and honestly, even if I lived in the UK still, it wouldn't be much different of a situation as I wouldn't be in the same area as him. 

Very good food for thought, so thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.