Help after hip replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello!

So, I'm looking for some advice. My father has been told he is going to need a hip replacement in about 3 months. I live in the USA and my dad lives on his own in the UK. I will fly back to help him for about 3 weeks, but due to my job I  may not be able to stay much longer than that. Realistically, will he still need help after that or, assuming we get him everything he needs, will he be ok for the rest of his recovery? I have no issue getting someone to come in and help when he needs it, but he's pretty stubborn and probably won't want anyone.

Other than his hip issues (arthritic, not broken), he's in great health, so I don't foresee any major issues with his recovery.

Any advice would be good! 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Betty-

Lots of people do the recovery on their own- it depends so much on the individual.  Stairs can be a challenge especially early on- doable, but a challenge.  I'd make sure he has the "hip/knee replacement kit" from Amazon.  Buy the deluxe package- he'll use it all and no real difference in price.  I found a great powered leather recliner for cheap on Craigs List- but even new they aren't expensive and worth it.  It makes sleeping on my back for 1/2 the night or day easy and comfortable.  While you're finding that also get the 10" Wedge Pillow also from Amazon.  When he's in the recliner he'll want his toes above his heart to ease swelling- there will be swelling so you'll want plenty of ice available.  There are machines mad especially for this operation but I have no experience with them.  I did find various resuable ice gel packs and one clay ice pack that really holds temperature well and forms to the leg/body nicely.  Make sure to get them as large as possible- most of these are about 7' X 12" and work well.  A few large, hefty plastic zip lock bags filled with ice cubes and wrapped in another larger plastic bag for wetness works well.  I'm on day 9 after a hip resurfacing.  Just got in from my second 1/4 mile, one crutch walk after my 2nd round of PT exercises, sitting in the recliner, packed in ice with an  aspirin and 1/2 of a tramadol feeling like I'l get through this and see better days sooner rather than later.  Attitude and good prior health worth it's weight for good recovery.  If he's not so inclined- and you mention he's stubborn- the need for him to do his PT exercises need to be drilled into him in a manner he will not forget.  I have read of so many people here and friends who've had this procedure and just want it to "fix" them.  Doesn't work like that.  The patient doesn't do their part they are asking for troubles down the road- so let him know from one old codger to another- do the damn exercises just like the told you to and stop complaining about it.  With a good surgeon his chances of doing well are good.  Best of luck.

• Posted

HI Jimbone,

Thank you for your response! You have given me some really great suggestions and will for sure be looking in to them! He has been talking about getting a recliner, so maybe this is a great excuse to do so!!

I will really have to work on the importance of PT for him, as he is one to give up on these types of things. He was given some exercises to do a few months back, and about 2 weeks later he's already had enough of them, so this is going to be challenging for sure, but I can be pretty stern when needed...and I will quote you verbatim too!!!!

I hope  that your recovery continues to go smoothly - it sounds like you have a great attitude, which in your own words, is paramount!

Can I ask - are you on your own, or do you have help? 

Thanks again for all your suggestions!!

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Mostly yes.  I have two tenants who are home in the evening but i haven't found reason to call on them for help.  A friend took me food shopping- and just to get out o the house- yesterday,day 9, but otherwise, sponge baths, food prep, house walking and just getting around essentially on my own.  It does make one appreciate the value of an SO.

• Posted

Ah, got it. Glad you have some people around to keep a check on you at least!! smile
  • Posted

Hopefully 3 weeks will see him well on the way to recovery. I’m just over 3 weeks and now able to be on my own all day! First 10-12 days is the roughest. I’m fine in the house but have to restrict time on my feet as sciatica in my unoperated hip/leg kicks in. Still don’t like to shower on my own - need a supporting hand in and out  (if he only has a bath or shower above a bath he won’t be able to use it for minimum 6 weeks).  I’m generally using one crutch in the house - but have to be careful as if I knock or drop it on the floor (and anything else) I can’t pick it up without my other crutch or ‘grabber’ which are invariably in another room. Make sure he has something to carry a phone around or a wearable panic alarm so he can contact someone for help if he gets himself stuck!!

And re driving- I’ve had a posterior replacement (by far most common approach in the UK) in the left side- and have just started to drive again in our automatic. When I have my right hip done it won’t be so quick as I wouldn’t be able to change pedals as easily. 

• Posted

HI Frances42935,

Thank you for you response! My hubby and I were talking the other night, am definitely aiming for 4 weeks, but depending on work 3 is probably more likely. However, my husband (if dad is ok with it), has said he will go out for 3 weeks after me, so in total will bring it to either 6 or 7 weeks of help. Hopefully that will work..!!

He has a bath - which is a bummer as he got a stand-alone shower last year but preferred baths so switched it back...if only we had known!! I read somewhere about a bath board...have you heard of these?

I was, based on Jimbones response, going to get him the hip recovery package which as the grabber, but maybe a couple of extra grabbers would be a good idea.

I have been thinking about a panic alarm for a while now - not that he's ever needed it, but more for my piece of mind in case something were to happen. Are there any you recommend? I was considering an Apple watch too so he could call from that, but then if he forgets to charge it, it's useless.

Thanks again and I hope your recovery continues to go well!

• Posted

hi! i had some help for about two weeks and managed fine after that(i did have someone to walk my dogs for about 3 weeks) i just wondered if he might get a bit lonely,if hes a sociable type?im not,at all,quite happy with dogs and own company,but even i got to wishing family might pop in. He s probably got friends who might pop in? wish him the best from me xx
    • Posted

Hi Pam00470,

Thanks for your response!

My dad is for sure not the social type!! He loves being on his own with the dogs. He is one of 8 siblings, and has always been that way (always surprises me he got married in the first place)! He actually text and said PLEASE do not tell anyone about this (meaning family) as he doesn't want them knowing...!! 

My husband has said that he is happy to go out and help him after I leave, so in total he may have 6-7 weeks of help...assuming he's ok with that scenario. I figure that better than having someone random go in and help if needed!

He luckily has a large garden (about an acre), so the dogs are happy running around there and don't necessarily need to go on a walk to get exercise, which is a huge help! Plus they have they're own door to get in and out of which is even better.

I will for sure wish him the best from you. I hope your recovery has been a good one!

• Posted

what a lovely reply!thankyou! your dad sounds just like me and i really hope he manages ok-he s lucky to have you,you sound lovely.i envy him the garden!sounds perfect for dogs.i hope you ll let us know how he goes on!love,pam xx
    • Posted

To a certain extent necessity is the mother of invention and you learn to do things in a way you would not normally rather than just not bothering, although I suppose some people do. You can get so much done for yourself nowadays what with takeaways, on-line groceries, in fact on line shopping in general. With a phone, a credit card and the internet you can live very well now.  You can even get dog walkers, cleaning ladies, gardeners .....
    • Posted

I think you sound very similar also!  And thank you too for your lovely reply smile 

I will definitely keep you guys updated - you've been so much help. I videoed with him yesterday, and I was telling him all about this group and the suggestions you have all given me. 

It was funny, as he was only expecting me to go back to help out while he was in hospital having the surgery - so when I said I would stay around 3 weeks, he was really surprised...not sure why he would think I would just leave when he went home!! 

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!!

• Posted

You're so right! And he has been dealing with the pain longer than what I knew about (definitely doesn't like to impose). So I think he has for sure adjusted his ways to make things work for him.

He has also bought himself some crutches as he wants to get used to them before hand, and we talked on Sunday about things we can do ahead of time to make things easier for him, so hopefully he will be set!

Thanks again for your help smile

• Posted

Hi following on fromDebina. I only started driving a few weeks ago- surgery in March. I was held back by old back injuries which reoccurred post op. Does he have a recliner chair- friends who did seemed to recover quicker than me. 

Definitely needs a grabber- it was my life saver! Loads of baby wipes as washing and showering won’t be easy the first week and bottles of water to save getting up for drinks. 

I had loads of snacks -not all healthy- to make sure I was eating little and often. I was lucky my other half was here to look after me. Make friends with his surgery when you take him to have stitches or staples removed . Everyone’s recovery is different. Mine has been tediously slow but I am not the norm. Crochet, knitting and reading have been my salvation . If he reads stock up the books!!

• Posted

Hi Catt1,

Thanks for your response! 

I'm thinking we try to get him a recliner before the op, as I think that would be a good idea - especially based on yours and Jimbones suggestions!! Same goes for the grabbers. 

Great idea about the wipes, snacks  and bottles of water - will definitely be getting those.

We joke that he's hardly taken sick days in all his years of working, and now that he's retired, it's catching up to him! I really hope that he recovers fast. The only thing I ever remember him having was surgery for a hernia, and seemed to recover pretty fast from that, so (aside from this being a much bigger surgery) I hope his heeling powers are still as good!

Sorry you've had issues with your recovery, but it sounds like you're getting there now, so I hope that continues for you!

• Posted

I got everything I could think of to help me after surgery including an electric recliner which even helped you to stand, ice packs and converted my bathroom to have a walk in shower. I was petrified of coming home as I live in a Victorian cottage with steps everywhere. In the end once I was home I discovered I could walk around furniture surfing with no need for crutches or a cane. I also discovered I could get upstairs and use my bed so have never actually used the recliner. I just use my normal armchair when downstairs. I reckon I got extra exercise from all the steps around the house. I also even found that I could just stand in the shower and did not need to use a stool. My ice pack is still in its wrapping. The one thing I use all the time is the grabber which I got from Amazon. I think most people would say they are a must. I was also given a bit of material by the hospital to help me lift my leg into bed which was brilliant. Some people use a dressing gown chord or equivalent. 
    • Posted

Oh don’t forget bio oil helps the scar recover and can be applied once staples/stitches have been removed and no raw patches remain. 

Velcro shoes but I used slip ons as my knee and feet were swollen and shoes didn’t fit! 

• Posted

Make sure at the hip clinic pte op he orders the loo seats, perching stools and mentions his bath( still not able to sit in mine at 20 weeks post op) the local NHS trust should supply most things he needs 
    • Posted

I have a feeling we'll end up getting things in preparation for his return from hospital, but like you, will likely not use all of it. I think my view is is that it's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared. 

He also lives in a old cottage, so thankfully it's pretty small and it's not like he having to navigate around a huge house. The stairs are quite narrow, but maybe that's a blessing as he can easily hold on to both banisters with no issue.

I have already ordered the grabbers for him. I will be making sure he asks about the material to help him get his leg in to bed - great idea!

Thanks for all your help!!

• Posted

Great idea! I actually have some gnarly scars on my face from a dog bite, and bio oil has really helped ease them, so I will for sure be getting him some of that.

And I think all of his shoes now are either slip on or Velcro, so he is all set there!!

Thanks for your help!!

• Posted

He was telling me yesterday that the hospital have already mentioned about the look seat. He never mentioned the perching stools to me, so I will let him know that. Still not sure how he will manage the bath situation - that we need to figure out!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.