Help after hip replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello!

So, I'm looking for some advice. My father has been told he is going to need a hip replacement in about 3 months. I live in the USA and my dad lives on his own in the UK. I will fly back to help him for about 3 weeks, but due to my job I  may not be able to stay much longer than that. Realistically, will he still need help after that or, assuming we get him everything he needs, will he be ok for the rest of his recovery? I have no issue getting someone to come in and help when he needs it, but he's pretty stubborn and probably won't want anyone.

Other than his hip issues (arthritic, not broken), he's in great health, so I don't foresee any major issues with his recovery.

Any advice would be good! 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Betty, it’s great that you can come over for 3 weeks, and that your husband will be to come after that if necessary. If your dad is reasonably fit and healthy, hopefully it will all go smoothly for him. See if you can get him back on his exercises now, before his op. I had exercises to do pre op, and I think it makes a big difference. My recovery was v straight forward, much better than I was expecting. First week or so is tough, but things like the stairs weren’t really an issue. Depending on where he lives, he should be supplied with loo seat raisers, perching chair etc. A company came and raised our sofa and bed. I hated having to sleep on my back, but it does gradually get better. Having a shower over a bath is tricky, and I needed my husband to help me in and out using kids steps. (My sister though, who had her hip replaced 5 weeks ago, finds it workable just sitting on the edge of the bath, and swinging her legs over.)

I wish your dad all the best,

Love Judith

Ps grabber v important!

• Posted

Depending on your Dad's financial status, he may qualify for help from social services, who will assist with mobility aides and anything else needed following his operation. When he goes for his pre-op assessment the physio team should speak with him to ascertain his requirements. Tell him not to be shy in asking for help. Never know what help he may need further down the line.

• Posted

Hi all! just wanted to give an update.

My dad had his THR on his left hip, 3 weeks this Tuesday.

I stayed with him up until Saturday (just gone), and I have no doubt he will do fine! The operation went amazingly well, and other than the first night home getting in to bed, he has had little to no pain.

He had his staples taken out a week ago, and was told by the physiotherapist that he is about 30% ahead of where most people are at this stage!! He takes multiple short walks a day, and although he uses at least one crutch most of the time to be safe, he can actually get around without them.

He's in pretty good spirits, but is frustrated that he cant drive and absolutely hates sleeping on hos back, so as soon as those 2 things are back to normal, I think he'll be great. And even better, he already has a consult for hos other hip, so will probably have the op for that in February - hopefully that goes just as well!!

Thanks again for everybody's advice and support - it all really helped!!

Laura

• Posted

I'm so pleased that it went well for your dad, you must be so relieved. Sleeping on your back is pretty rubbish, but he hasn't got long to go, and the same with driving.

Great that you were able to come over and take care of him. I wish him all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.