HELP!!!!!! Bad reaction to erythromycin? / anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

so i had made a post yesterday about my phobia of pills. ill start by saying i have stomach issues. and i have NOT eaten anything but toast today. i took the erythromycin at about 2:40 ... half an hour later i was running to the bathroom due to SUPER SUPER watery diarrhea.. 10 minutes after taking the pill i could taste it. still can. i drank a glass of water with the pill. im still sipping on water and am actually taking little bites of plain toast. im unsure if im having this side effect because i havent eaten today or if its because im having a bad reaction to the med. should i make sure i eat well and take it or should i go to hospital or to the doctor asap?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Diarrhea is a common side effect of that drug, but watery is definitely something you should see the doctor about. Call him up ASAP. Go to the hospital if it gets worse or you develop more severe symptoms like slurred speech, blurred vision, drooping eyelids.

• Posted

not even if all ive had today in my system is water? i also am experiencing hunger . i just ate 2 hours ago and am starving again already 😦

• Posted

Be careful of dehydration. I too cannot take pills so I know what you mean. I have ibs and post gallbladder surgery issues and cannot tolerate any meds orally. I will have to take antibioticd for an infection and am scared to death because I am so ill now. I will be looking to into IV antibiotics and will be in for the fight of my life with the hospital and my insurance to give the okay. I hope your misfortune rights itself and you fel better.

• Posted

yeah i think i have IBS aswell. ive just never had this reaction with an antibiotic before . maybe its because my stomach has been off ever since getting strep and i drank tons of water but didnt eat any food

• Posted

Hi stephanie20

It is always a good idea to take antibiotics with food or directly after food to avoid nausea, stomach and bowel issues. Try splitting the pill and take in two halves with your food and a glass of water.. half with food and half directly after food...try eating a proper meal and see how you feel before contacting doctor or going to A & E. Suck some mints yo get rid of the taste. Also, check the leaflet that came with the AB's for side effects.....

• Posted

i would try that if i could. says not to break or crush the pill 😦(( is watery diarrhea after 30 mins of taking the pill on a very hungry stomach normal?

• Posted

Hi stephanie20

Does the info leaflet say take with food or after food or on an empty stomach? It all depends what the info leaflet is telling you. You know it says not to crush or break the pills what else does it say? Does it mention diarrhoea as a side effect etc,..does it mention to contact your health professional if you get certain side effects?

Check it out...

• Posted

it says best taken on an empty stomach which is what i did.. im about to take my second does and im frightened it will give me more diarrhea. yes tummy cramps , tummy upset and diarrhea are all common side effects but i think it says to call ur GP if its really water . it says if tummy upset occurs after taking it on an empty stomach to try with food

• Posted

Hi stephanie20

Try it with food. I would eat a third of food first then take tab with a small glass of water then eat rest of food kind of sandwich the tab with the food so that it's absorbed into the food .....try that and see what happens... if you still get watery diarrohea go to A & E or call out of hour doctor...

• Posted

Mary,you did good to tell her to read leaflet and do what it says and out said to take on an empty stomach then you turn around

and say try it with food. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

• Posted

Hi 2muchpain

Read Stephanie20 post again. Last paragraph..Obviously, you missed that bitπŸ˜πŸ€—.....

• Posted

Hi 2muchpain

Did you see the part of stephanies post you missed?. Just a bit of advice, always make a point of reading posts thoroughly before you make a comment. You could make an idiot of yourself!!.... πŸ‘

• Posted

since lastnight after my second dose i have been experiencing tingling and numbness in my feet and hands . aswell as stomach cramps . r these normal side effects?

• Posted

UPDATE: i talked to the pharmacist and she told me because my hands n feet r tingling that im most likely having an allergic reaction to the med and to keep taking it but call my dr and make an appointment

• Posted

I think you should not eat yeast products like toast and bread when you have stomach issues. The yeast products increase these symptoms.

• Posted

i did not know this!?! but i did hear that eating dairy and calcium can make it harder to digest the pill. my dad does not think im having an allergic reaction because i dont have hives or a rash & that tingling and numbness in my hands and feet dosent sound like an allergic reaction.. can i get someones opinion on this?

• Posted

A doctor will be the best person to take the right opinion.

However if you are looking for an opinion on forums, I will suggest only look for solutions, rather than asking what might be the problem/disease.

Because taking random opinions on a health problem will make you more nervous and stressful, no matter you might not have very serious issue. But anxiety will aggravate your symptoms more and make you feel more uncomfortable.

It depends upon you how you feel after taking dairy products. In case of bacterial infection it is possible that dairy products may cause you feel uncomfortable more than usual. But yes, I too have heard many times that people are intolerant towards dairy products. But for some others it is ok.

But in case of "bread" , "toast", "biscuits" which are fermented, I believe that they are naturally unhealthy and do leave problems even to healthy people in long run. And if your stomach is upset, it will add up to problem.

I cannot suggest you anything about allergy with the particular pill. As I don't have idea about it.

• Posted

thanks for the reply. i have awful health anxiety and general anxiety disorder and look to others for advice because i clearly cannot think for myself 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.