Help - Band or Bypass??!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok, some of you lovely people have helped me over the last few weeks regarding band surgery! I had my mind made up for the band until I spoke to someone who had bypass surgery! I am still pencilled in for the 7th March in Glasgow for the band, however, after listening to a friend of a friend - she's told me to go for bypass!

I've done a bit of research - the bypass in Scotland is 11K which is a bit scary! I've found a Dr Chris Debruyenion Belguim (but comes to Glasgow every month) that does both types of surgery (band at approx £3K and bypass at approx £5K).

Have any of you had either surgery? Have you had the surgery abroad?  I really need some help!!!! I know that i am going defo going to go for one of them - I need some of your experience to help me!!!

Indy xx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Apologies......it's Dr Chris Debruyne
  • Posted

He's my consultant and brilliant. Had band for 2 years and lost 11 stone with him.
    • Posted

Hey Catherine, thanks for replying. I'm still considering the band - but after speaking to this friend of a friend, she's told me that the band only has a life of 10 years before it needs replaced. This scares me. Also, there's quite a lot of work in it with the band fills and appointments - given that I live in the North of Scotland and I would have to travel over 200 miles (one way) to Glasgow/Edinburgh for frequent appointments - I just wonder what's the best!!! Crikey, I need help!! x
    • Posted

Up until last week I hadnt had a fill for a year. In the beginning I had 4 over the course of a year. My mum had one if the very first bands and has had it for 15 years now. Granted had a leak about 6 years ago but that's a risk. I have friend who had the bypass and he is able to eat more than me, he's the reason I went fur the band as my mum had had better results over a longer period of time. At the end of the day only you can make the decision. There are pros and cons for each procedure. Chris will advise on what is best for you and he is very honest.
    • Posted

Ah you had Dr Chris? Where did you get your operation Catherine? One of his employees apparently can come and meet me in Glasgow, then i'd have to fly to Belguim for the op.  Sounds all too good to be true. The thought of the travel home, in pain, is a nightmare though!
  • Posted

Definitely don't go abroad! You need to be close enough to the hospital incase you have any problems and you may not feel up to travelling if this does happen!

I had my band fitted end of October last year and it's really great, just getting used to how it works and the limits etc but I don't regret a thing x

• Posted

Hey Rebecca, I live in the North-West Highlands and the irony is - it is easier and quicker for me to fly abroad, than it is for me to get to Glasgow via the A9 (you'll know what I mean if you've heard of the A9!!) (or Birmingham if I go for plication or bypass).

That's good that you're getting on well with your band - let me know how you get on with it. Indy x

• Posted

Hi Indy, I have just started the journey down the road to weight loss surgery . I had a day of appointments at Luton & Dunstable hospital, for heart checks ,weight check, what I had done in the past about weight loss. I attended with the plan of a gastric band but was told today that they prefer laparoscopic gastric bypass. This is on the NHS as I meet the requirements. I am 15stone ,4ft10inches tall & have diabetes also asthma & under active thyroid . Did'nt realise till today that I have to go 4weeks on a milk only diet before surgery, 4/5pints a day. This is really scary , I get so hungry.

marilyn.

• Posted

Hi Marilyn!

Good luck for your bypass!

I had to do the milk diet for 2.5 weeks before my band, the first few days are tough but this was the only diet I had 100% stuck to as I kept my eyes on the prize!!

X

• Posted

Hey Marilyn, that's fantastic! When is your surgery? The milk only thing is a bit scary sounding - is that to shrink your liver? You wouldn't think that you'd get a huge amount of nutrients etc from milk only?

What did they tell you about the bypass? Do you have to take supplements for life? 

I am now trying to look into the difference between the bypass, plication and mini bypass to try and figure out the difference and which one is best etc!  If you can help, i'd be eternally grateful!

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on,

Indy xx

• Posted

Was your GP sympathetic with your referral Marilyn??

i am 4'11" 14 stones & just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm a bit reluctant to ask my GP for a an NHS referral Incase he dismisses me. 

• Posted

I must admit I have been asking for years, then we had a new lady doctor at our surgery & she refered me, keep asking, they can only say no. More funds have been made available for weight loss surgery . Ask to be refered to a dietitian if he says no to surgery, as they can refer you. Good Luck.x
  • Posted

Hi Indy, yes in Luton & Dunstable where I am attending they don't like to do the band anymore because of the high maintenance afterwards, so they do either a bypass or a sleeve, she said the Laparoscopic gastric bypass is most suitable for me ,I have to take multi vitamins for life. The hospital is about an hours journey away from where I live. I have survived day 3 of the milk diet ,it's to shrink the liver & prove you can cope with for after surgery.   ...x
    • Posted

Yes, that's why I have veered away from the band - I really can't be bothered with the long road trips for the maintenance! What did they tell you about the sleeve? As far as I am aware, it's very like the band (but without the fills) xx
    • Posted

As far as I can see the sleeve is very like the bypass but the restriction is vertical & it comes down the stomach making it much smaller, it also is lower maintanece than the band. Do you not qualify for NHS surgery? x
    • Posted

No, I don't think that id qualify for nhs...im 5'6" and weigh just under 16stone and have no other morbidities. Quite happy paying for it....its my fault that im this size, ive totally ruined my body with my love for grub! X
    • Posted

Hi guys, I'm on the slimfast preop diet - its bearable but very tired and heady.  Got to do it for 3 weeks. Just want my op now to get it over and done with and before I change my mind!!!! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.