Help! Do I Give Up My Career? Any Insight?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is anyone able to work full time?

I have a full-time job as a Title I Reading Teaching and I LOVE my job. It is my dream job and struggling readers is my passion.

But...I'm in my 8th week off of work (sick leave). I had summer break, then I worked 13 days and then I couldn't do it anymore. I have gradually gotten worse for years, particularly this past year. 

I am doing everything I can do to get better: resting, movement (as much as I can), relaxation, eating well... nothing seems to be working.

I am running out of sick leave and I feel worse than ever...

So... Do I give up my career that I love?

Do I try going back to see what happens?

Do I take a few years off and hope I can find a similar job in the future?

Plus, there's the issue of money! 

I know you can't really answer those questions for me, but any insight from those who have been in this position?

Help!

Thanks.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Abby,

I am sorry that you have to go through this, it's horrible. Just like you I was a ELL and literacy teacher before having to quit my job. Teaching is stressful not only dealing with students but dealing with bad leadership is worse.

Even with all the stress, I loved my job and I love making a difference in these students lives. Unfortunately the energy just wasn't there and having to deal with so many other symptoms that come along with CFS. I became homebound and at times bedbound.

You can try reducing your hours if your symptoms are mild or even go into subbing. Teaching on the days that you feel better. It is very flexible and you have control on the days you want to work.

It has been a little over a year since I quit and if I get better I would go back to work subbing or even do just 2 to 4 hours a day. As with cfs recovery is in waves, never good, better and great. Just downhill then functional then manageable.

I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.